It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

maggiekitty HB User
Twitches/jerks while falling asleep

hi everyone. I have been having a couple of problems lately that I would like your opinion on. I have a phobia regarding my health. I always think that there is something horribly wrong. Right now, I think that I have MS. When I am falling asleep, once in awhile I get a twitch or jerk on a part of my body. It might be my leg, arm, finger etc. It usually just twitches enough to wake me up and then it stops. It never happens when I'm just laying there or when I'm awake. It only happens when I'm falling asleep. I have been taking Zoloft for about a month, so I don't know if this is a side effect of that or not. Also, another issue I have is that sometimes, if feels like I have to go to the bathroom alot. I don't have an infection. The dr gave me ditrapan, but I've only taken it a few times. This isn't all the time and it usually isn't bad enough to take the meds for it. The dr didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Alot of times, it seems worse when I'm due for my period.

So, do you guys think I've overreacting, or do you think I have MS? thanks so much.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
(male)

pineapple4141 HB User
Re: Twitches/jerks while falling asleep

It's very unlikely you have MS as im sure you would be suffering with other symptoms of the illness as well as twitches. Also if it were ms you would have these all the time & not just when you are drifting off to sleep.
Zoloft can cause many side effects which can include twitches, & muscle spasms. Also iwhen a person is between 2 consious states such as half asleep & half awake, it is normal for the body to twitch sometimes as the muscles are relaxing.
If the problem is as a result of negative side effects from Zoloft your doctor may be able to give some a counter-acting drug to prevent this, alternatively if it is simply your muscles relaxing between 2 states, you may find it helpful to take a hot bath before you get into bed, this may help to relax the muscles alittle before actually going to sleep.
I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2005, 05:40 AM   #3
(female)

mom 2 four HB User

I have had the same problem for about 9 months. When it first started it worried me so much that I ended up totally sleep deprived which only made my anxiety worse. The doctor put me on effexor xr last august and I think it has helped me deal with the twitching better but I still twitch almost every night. My doctor also gave me Trazadone 25mg each night and it really helps me to relax so I can fall asleep even though I'm twitching. I know how frustrating it is. I also used to worry that I had some sort of neurological disease like ms or als but my doctor said I show no signs of a neurological problem. Finally I just figured if it was something really serious it would have gotten worse by now. It's hard to chalk all my weird symptoms up to anxiety but once I did I actually felt better mentally and physically. Hang in there and try not to worry too much. I've been there done that and it only made things worse in the long run. Try to relax!!

Old 05-21-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
(female)

maggiekitty HB User

Thank you both. My cousin was diagnosed with MS about a year ago and now Ihave it in my stupid little head that with these twitches and bladder issues that I have it too!! The dr said that those type of bladder issues were extremely common with woman of my age (41). I wasn't having the twitches at that time, although I hadn't been on Zoloft at that time either. Who knows. I wish they would go away, they are stressing me out.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

see if your zoloft dose can be upped, this may help a lot

Old 05-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
(female)

maggiekitty HB User

I have been only taking 1/2 dose of Zoloft. I will try and take the whole dosage and see what happens. You don't think that these are due to the Zoloft?

Closed Thread