It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

NathanF41 HB User
Aches and Pains

Does anybody get aches and pains with their anxiety? For the past two months I have had aching in my left side....right underneath the rib cage in front, around the side a little, and sometimes a bit in the back. It's almost like and aching/tightening. Also have aching in my right ankle, on my left hamstring, my left buttock, and have this weird muscle contraction feeling below my left shin bone.

Anyone experience anything like this? The pain in my side is the more worrisome of these pains to me. When I went to the doctor she indicated not to worry about it and that when you're anxious it often time manifests noticing things that you normally wouldn't really think about. May be true, but the side pain does exist enough for me to poke and prod my side more than I would any other time.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran

Comptons HB User
Re: Aches and Pains

I don't have pains like you describe - but I never doubt the power of anxiety. It can certainly cause differing symptoms in everyone. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
(male)

michaeldallas HB User

Hi Nathan, I do get aches and pains, many times sharp pains in random places. I get them in my buttocks, my leg, my neck, head, arm, shoulder, etc. I think they are definitely stress/anxiety related.

Michael

Old 05-24-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
(female)

mbarwiko HB User

MichaelDallas, I know exactly what you're talking about. I had an unprotected sexual encounter with a guy I know. He told me he's clean and doesn't have HIV but I have been freaking out about it for a month and a half now. I started getting anxiety attacks after I would go out drinking and not taking care of myself back in March. I thought I was going to die. I even went to the emergency room. Then I couldn't stay off of the internet and thought I had ALS, MS and even Leukemia. Then when I thought about my encounter of course I thought about HIV and other STD's. I got tested for everything two weeks after that and then again a couple weeks ago. Everything came out negative and other blood tests came out just fine. The doctors told me it's anxiety and that I should just relax or start taking Lexapro. They gave me samples but I haven't been taking them. I am going to get retested in June when I go back to the doctors for another monthly check-up. I am experiencing different symptoms every week, this week I'm constantly getting sharp and dull pains throughout my body and I'm constantly checking my lymph nodes. They don't hurt and they aren't swollen but I swear the more I stress about them I feel like they could get swollen. Does that make sense? Anyway, I hope things go well with you and with me. Write back and we'll discuss more!

Old 05-24-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
(male)

michaeldallas HB User

Hey there mbarwiko, looks like we are in a similar situation...I take it you read my other post on my HIV paranoia??? It has been crazy. I had one encounter, very low risk from my understanding. I started to get paranoid and stress about it, and boom, at 9 days, i panicked. I had a massive hot flash, couldnt swallow, completely lost my appetite to the point that I didnt eat for days. My arms started getting this burning sensation, and I started to get these random aches and sharp pains, every from my head, neck, arms, back, legs, etc. I know that alot of it is caused by anxiety. If I am busy doing something, i feel fine. If I sit and think, that is when I start to freak out and convince myself I have HIV. The symptoms start to come back too. I also got a sore throat, starting about 12 days after my encounter, which really does freak me out. I really hope that I am ok, and I hope you are as well. I know you will be. Please get back to me when you get a chance.

Michael

Old 05-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
(female)

mbarwiko HB User

Yes I hope we're both ok. Did you know the status of the person you had a sexual encounter with? I did and I still ask him if he's okay and he says yes and thinks I'm crazy. I am way obessed about my health right now since I want to move and I want to get checked out before I let go of my health insurance for a little bit. Have ou gotten tested yet? It isn't that bad really. I mean it's scary waiting but once you walk out that door you do feel better knowing that you were brave enough to get tested and most people aren't. It's killing me now that I have to wait until June 15 for my next test. Sometimes I come to a realization and say hey, I'm fine don't test anymore but then my thoughts creep up on me and say it's going to only be your second month after the encounter you should test, because they say you should actually wait three months to get the most accurate test results. It's very stressful. I swear I'm not going to have sex again after this! Only with a boyfriend!! But I can relate to your symptoms. I too had throat irritation when I thought I had ALS, because it said that you get a raspy voice and shortness of breath and you have a hard time swallowing with ALS. So I kept swallowing and clearing my throat check my voice!! So that irritated my throat!! So then I freaked out about that. I actually went to see a neurologist and she said I had an anxiety disorder! I felt so crazy! I do feel guilty for what I did too and that can get to your nerves too! I wish I just knew everything was a ok!! Then I think I will calm down, I hope! Write back soon!

Old 05-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
(male)

michaeldallas HB User

Hey there, no, I dont know the status of the woman I was with. I was protected the entire time except for no more than 10 seconds when the protection slipped. I just cant seem to shake this feeling though. Im the same way--at times, im like "what am i thinking, i know im fine, i dont even need to test", but then i start to think about it and really freak out. Im going to get tested this week. I might do one of those DNA ones that is accurate at 28 days. Im just really scared to be honest. Plus, i hate needles! I honestly do think we are fine--HIV is a very difficult virus to contract. A one time encounter is a risk, but not as much as you would think. I just need to nut up and get tested. The symptoms just freak me out completely though!

Old 05-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #8
(female)

mbarwiko HB User

Well like I said I got tested at two weeks after the encounter than at four weeks. I was so scared! Just before hearing my results the tops of my arms started to burn. I was like this is so stress related, I knew that one for a fact because I was about to have a nervous breakdown! So is there any way to get a hold of this girl? I want to trust this guy but I am just not completely sure. If he was ever HIV+ it would be a big deal since he is known all around town for business so it would be really bad if he just didn't know if he was or not, you know? I would believe him but then again he might not even know himself, if he's been with someone within the year since he's gotten tested. Well anyhow, I know your exposure is very low risk. I actually think you are stressing way too much. My exposure was more than 10 seconds. Even though he thinks he''s fine I'm still not sure! But then again not everyone we sleep with has HIV. I got tested for STD's and everything came up negative too. So that was reassuring because those are sometimes easier to catch aren't they? And they show up quicker than HIV right? I guess it all depends. Well go get tested. I am going again in a month. I really think I'm fine like you think you are fine, but for some reason I just have to know for sure through these tests because really that's the only way to know. It sucks but it's for the best. I know you want to hear that everything is fine but once you really do hear that you wished you've gone in sooner!

Old 05-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
(male)

michaeldallas HB User

I really do think we are both stressing way too much about this. We made a mistake, and that is what is eating at us. I know getting tested will help, it is just that fear of "what if" they call and say, im sorry but you are positive? I dont know what I would do. I do know that if I come out of this OK, I will value and appreciate everything in my life so much more.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
(female)

mbarwiko HB User

You know I never was this freaked out before until I started reading these posts. I never thought about having HIV! Last September I got checked out and I was of course negative and I slept with more than more partner unprotected! I wasn't this stressed not at all! I was scared after I got the blood drawn and in the car on the drive home and that was it! Of course I thought about who I was with and all that stuff. But I was so calm back then. So now with someone that I actually keep in contact with on a daily basis I'm freakin freakin out!!! I don't get!! I guess it's just with all of these people posting (like you) that had minimal exposure risk and they're freaking out about HIV and most of them come up negative. So I feel that I should be freaking out more than you guys, like I have more of a reason or something. But I guess it really doesn't matter. Keep writing, I'll be on her more tomorrow with my thoughts, hope you write back!

Old 05-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #11
(male)

michaeldallas HB User

Hey there, I completely agree, I have never been stressed this much, and I have had a very active sex life. This one really freaked me out though. Guilt and anxiety I think. Like I said, I think we are both going to be fine, it is just a hard road to get to that point, you know? That one encounter was not worth this, not at all. Nothing is. I didnt even enjoy the encounter to be honest, no finish.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:39 AM   #12
(male)

michaeldallas HB User

Things are a bit better, but I am still freaking out to an extent. I just cant get this out of my mind, all over one lousy encounter. Throat still hurts a bit, and still getting weird aches and pains, strange, brief headaches, etc.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:57 AM   #13
(female)

mbarwiko HB User

Are you sure the aches and pains are a symptom to HIV? I don't know about that one. Usually those start in the later stages of HIV don't they? I know AIDS patients take medication for aches and pains later on after HIV turns to AIDS. But then again I might be wrong.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:14 AM   #14
(male)

michaeldallas HB User

From what I have heard, yes, aches and pains are a symptom, but who knows, you know? I think everything is a symptom!!! How are you? Did you get my posts? I guess you did. Hope you are doing well.

Closed Thread