It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

bwaygrl HB User
very bad anxiety but is there a med that doesn't cause weight gain???

hi... i am a 26-y-old girl who has very bad anxiety, depression and ocd... i was on luvox for 4 years up until 6 months ago... i gained a total of 30 pounds form it... i was skinny before i started so the 30 pounds still didn't make me look fat but i completely obsessed about it to the point where it was pointless to even take luvox...the last 2 yrs i took luvox i also took topamax which helped my weight a lot.. i lost 15 pounds and was eating anyting i wanted./..but i stopped the topamax because it made my birth control ineffective ( i got pregnant and had to have an abortion) and made my head so foggy...anyway, right after that the weight came back on... so i just stopped the luvox... at first it was still so hard to lose but now i am 15 pounds less again...BUT, now i am a MESS... i still live at home with my parents, have no job, no health insurance, an unstable relationship and i am not doing anything i want tod o..in fact, i dont do anything... i sit at home and wait for my boyfriend to call because if i dont i just panic about that... i have no life, i dont even have enough confidence to go the store sometimes... i also am constantly worried about disease and get these odd things wrong with me so i keep spending my parents money on doctors appt's which are like $150 if you dont have insurance...i feel like such a loser.. i have a college degree and i cant get a job... i make interviews to be hopeful but dont even show up...i am so depressed and feel hopeless...i tried to function without medicine but i couldnt... i made a appt on friday but i dont know what to ask for.. i know ssri's help the most but what can i take where i wont gain again? also, luvox didn't help THAT much..it helped ocd but not anxiety and depression for me..and when i started it, i was happier to begin with... i had a job, was still in college..now i feel like i have nothing and feel worse, so i want something better...does anyone have any suggestions? i know you can also take a combo of drugs, is it possible for doctors to give 2 out right away? or do you have to start with one?

-bwaygrl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
(female)

vo-5 HB User
Re: very bad anxiety but is there a med that doesn't cause weight gain???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaygrl
hi... i am a 26-y-old girl who has very bad anxiety, depression and ocd... i was on luvox for 4 years up until 6 months ago... i gained a total of 30 pounds form it... i was skinny before i started so the 30 pounds still didn't make me look fat but i completely obsessed about it to the point where it was pointless to even take luvox...the last 2 yrs i took luvox i also took topamax which helped my weight a lot.. i lost 15 pounds and was eating anyting i wanted./..but i stopped the topamax because it made my birth control ineffective ( i got pregnant and had to have an abortion) and made my head so foggy...anyway, right after that the weight came back on... so i just stopped the luvox... at first it was still so hard to lose but now i am 15 pounds less again...BUT, now i am a MESS... i still live at home with my parents, have no job, no health insurance, an unstable relationship and i am not doing anything i want tod o..in fact, i dont do anything... i sit at home and wait for my boyfriend to call because if i dont i just panic about that... i have no life, i dont even have enough confidence to go the store sometimes... i also am constantly worried about disease and get these odd things wrong with me so i keep spending my parents money on doctors appt's which are like $150 if you dont have insurance...i feel like such a loser.. i have a college degree and i cant get a job... i make interviews to be hopeful but dont even show up...i am so depressed and feel hopeless...i tried to function without medicine but i couldnt... i made a appt on friday but i dont know what to ask for.. i know ssri's help the most but what can i take where i wont gain again? also, luvox didn't help THAT much..it helped ocd but not anxiety and depression for me..and when i started it, i was happier to begin with... i had a job, was still in college..now i feel like i have nothing and feel worse, so i want something better...does anyone have any suggestions? i know you can also take a combo of drugs, is it possible for doctors to give 2 out right away? or do you have to start with one?

-bwaygrl
You'll have to ask your doctor about your issues. I'm currently on a four medication cocktail. As I remember he started me out on three right away. And I have gained A LOT of weight over the past 18 years with my "issues". I'm sure some of the weight gain has to do with the meds. Call your local MHMR office and see if they have psych services. The one in my town does and it's either free or one a sliding scale basis, as well as the meds. I wish you luck

Last edited by vo-5; 05-31-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Closed Thread