It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

LostMind HB User
How many get pain between shoulder blades?

My stress level is high right now and the last few months when I am really getting anxious I get a pain between my shoulder blades. I can actually feel a sore spot to the touch and the pain goes deep too. I also get left arm tingling , pains etc. I have had heart test all ok. But I still stress that its my heart. Feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. Been to the ER got adivan then I'm ok. I take my xanax as needed.lately daily.
As soon as I am under any amount of slight stress these days I get the pain.
I have been told its my anxiety and that the stress causes the pain and that not breathing right under stressed conditions causes the tingling in the arms.

Anyone else get this ? Its driving me crazy.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: How many get pain between shoulder blades?

tingling is usually from the fight or flight response, it limits bloodflow to the arms, legs and sometimes head, look up details on the net

the best way to breathe is deep and slow, avoid rapid shallow panting
a regular body massage would help you, also long soaks in a hot bath
ativan or xanax relaxes the muscles for a while, but you need to let go of excess muscle tension

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
(female)

LostMind HB User

How do you let go of muscle tension when you dont realize your tensing up? If that makes any sense. And yes I have ativan and xanax and the pain goes away after it kicks in. I guess after time the anxiety symptoms can change. This is just new to me.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
(female)

cebo HB User

Hi lostmind, I get this too, it feels so sore as if you have a bruise under the skin when you touch it... I even put my neck out off place due to the stiffness and soreness in my shoulders.

I now do shoulder and arm stretches which has help fix the problem (found them on the net....type in shoulder stretches etc.)

I also found out that I breath 2 breaths for most peoples 1 and it was very shallow so now as hry33 said its deep and slow which can and or does help stop an anxiety attack.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

The pain between your shoulder blades is most likely muscular tension. I get it quite often, too. I use the menthol patches - they help me alot.

Old 06-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
(female)

qwerty1970 HB User

I have constant burning pain between my shoulder blades and the pain goes down both arms and into my last two fingers of each hand. The pain increases when I'm stressed out (all day at work) and I try to keep stretching to relieve the pain but it doesn't help much. Often I get shooting pains and tingling in my arms and hands. Do you also get tension in the front, in your ribcage? Lately it will hurt immensely in my chest and I'll have to arch back and pop it. It'll feel good for a little while. I probably end up popping it about 20 times a day. I also have pain that travels down my legs from my lower back. I never had these symptoms before I started my present job about two years ago, so I think it's probably a result of the stress and anxiety, but I have a hard time not believing there's something physically wrong too. How could something hurt sooo much and not be caused by something physical?

Old 06-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
(female)

mellieb HB User

I get stabbing and shooting pains on my back over and between my shoulder blades and also over my ribcage in the front. I have some mild asthma but my doctor insists that my pains are anxiety-related. Go figure.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
(female)

LostMind HB User

I went to my doctor today and he sent me for an xray of my upper back. I dont know why cause he's just going to tell me its STRESS !!!!
Anyway thanks to all of you. I thought this was just something "I" had, AGAIN..LOL
It's nice to know I m not alone but I hate that so many hurt this way.

Qwerty1970, Your post could be mine thats exactly how my pain is and I to have pains in my legs, mine is down the insides. I pop my back back in to and it does help.
I also have taken 800 mg motrins just to try to sleep.
Its freaky that your body can do this just from stress , I guess I have a hard time believing that because I still think in my own wierd head theres got to be rdmething really wrong with me.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
(female)

qwerty1970 HB User

LostMind, it's good to know I'm not alone in this pain. I call it the monkey on my back. I'm glad that 800 mg Motrins help you sleep because they do absolutely nothing for me. Neither do Naproxins, or any of the anti imflamatory drugs. OTC Diphenhydramine HCIs don't do it either anymore. I think I built up a tolerance. Several rum and cokes put me into a quick dreamless sleep for about 4 hrs or so and then I toss and turn with a sinus headache and not too useful for work in the morning...Not that I really want to go anyway...

Old 06-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #10
(female)

LostMind HB User

Qwerty70.
Pass the rum !!
I want to get my monkey drunk so it falls of my back !!!
The only way I am able to sleep these last 2 weeks is that lousy motrin and a .5 xanax.
I cant drink it makes me anxious, Thats backward I know, its supposed to relax you. NOT ME !! If I drink I may as well wash a xanax down with it.
My Dr. suggested cortisone, shots? not sure that would help or not. I go back wednesday for some test results, I'll have to ask him about that, not that I want I shot in my back either.
Hang in there!! and say hi to the monkey.

Last edited by LostMind; 06-07-2005 at 06:45 PM. Reason: sp

Old 06-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
(female)

qwerty1970 HB User

LOL. The drunken monkey! Well, I switched doctors and went to a very nice one who actually listened to me. He mentioned FM after I told him all of my symptoms and at least for starters gave me something to help me sleep and we'll go from there with the treatment. He wants to maybe do a nerve test of some kind where they insert little needles at nerve points. I'm not keen on needles but if it would get rid of this constant pain with a diagnosis, I'm game. Monkey says hi! He's still got his grabby little hands behind my shoulder blades...sigh.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
(female)

LostMind HB User

My monkey has a name. I went to the doctor today and he said I have arthritis in my spine, a kidney stone, a very large ovarian cyst and a my colon isnt emptying all the way. I was not expecting all this. Its the first time I went to a doctor and came out with a real diagnosis. ALL this from a CT scan.
He told me not to stress out. LOL yeah right Then hands me 3 prescriptions.
He said other causes of the pain is my anxiety and with the arthritis its worse.
My other doctor ( my GI) told me I have FM which I still dont believe. Im not sure how its diagnosed though. I havent told my new doctor my GI said that i have FM yet, not sure why But I just havent.
Well I will try not to stress out over all this

PS hi to the monkey

Old 06-18-2005, 06:37 AM   #13
(male)

justjake45 HB User

i havent gotten that in a while, it only happened during my 3 or 4 major panic attacks, but that was one of the things that scared me the most

the thing where it's not to the touch, god, i thought no one else had that, i thought for the longest time that i was the only person that got all these physical problems. i couldnt lie down for more than five seconds and the pain between my shoulder blades would like bleed to my chest and feel almost like there was like...something piercing through my back between the shoulders and through the chest...gah

Last edited by justjake45; 06-18-2005 at 06:39 AM.

Old 06-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #14
(female)

LostMind HB User

I have since started on Xanax XR .5mg 2 times a day and went from buspar to lexapro
After the 2nd day my pains went away. As for the doctor telling me its just arthritis, blah blah blah.... it was my anxiety.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #15
(female)

qwerty1970 HB User

That's great! I'm glad you got some relief from those pains. Mine are still constant anytime when I'm awake, though with the new med I can sleep at night. Hopefully my doc will help me out with getting rid of the monkey on my back. I was on Lexapro for 6 months last year but it didn't help at all with the pain and cracking in my shoulders, back, and sternum. I think the stress from work (it just gets worse every week) is the entire problem and if I can figure out how to neutralize that or get meds to help I'll be back to a good place again.

Closed Thread