It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 03:08 AM   #1
(female)

katie865 HB User
Unhappy Taking Zoloft...sometimes xanax..still anxiety!!!

Hi Everybody!

I have been taking Zoloft for about 2 weeks now...I really dont have much depression, mostly overwhelming anxiety that leads to depression (if that makes sense). I was prescribed xanax but only a small amount and thats it...my doctor isnt wanting to prescribe that because she says its very addictive....is there a different med I could be taking that works better for anxiety??? I have had a series of events go on in the last month and 1/2 that have caused me extreme anxiety!!! Though I feel I have suffered from it for about 2 years....

If anybody knows of a better med to treat anxiety or a combo of meds better than zoloft please let me know...zoloft seemed to me more of an anti-depressent...which after i have so much anxiety, i eventually do get depressed, but im sure you get the picture!

oh gosh, listen to me ramble on....obviously i am very anxious and going through stress....i see a counselor 3 times a week and she thinks i need to be put on an anti-anxiety med regularly....

any help would be great!
Thanks.
Katie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
Re: Taking Zoloft...sometimes xanax..still anxiety!!!

Hi
I had anxiety for 2 years & panic attacks recently. I've been on Zoloft since 5/20/05. My first 13 days I still felt anxiety though I only had panic attacks the first week of taking it so, it's already helping with the panic. NOW, the last 4 days my anxiety has been lifting (fading away). There were 2 of the last 4 days that I felt SO amazing, like I did before I ever had panic/anxiety! My guess is it's a taste of what's to come at the 4 to 6 weeks mark. But yesterday, I went downtown for the first time in a year & felt some anxiety. My usuall anxiety level before was about 8 to 9 on a scale of 10 & yesterday it was about a 5. (most of my panic & anxiety comes when I drive or am in a car for a long time) so, that might have had something to with it. If you've only been on it for 2 weeks, I'd give it another 2 weeks so, your body has time to adjust to it. If you don't feel it's good effects by then you should go to your doctor and try a different SSRI, maybe. The only bad thing with that is that you have to start all over again. Some of these antidepressants cause some people to have an increase in anxiety for the first couple of weeks which is a side effect that goes away after 1 to 2 months. I know that sounds like a life time when having to deal with anxiety but once you find the right meds for you you'll be SOOO glad you did!
I tried paxil too and had WAY too many side effects to handle (TERRIBLE tense muscle fatigue & cramps all over to the point it brought on my panic attacks) so, I stopped and switched to zoloft. I know people who do GREAT on paxil though so, unless you get a DNA drug reaction test done (which you can order & have sent to your house, get your doctor to draw blood for you & mail it back to them for about $600). It's kind of high but what it does is checks how your DNA metabolizes drugs like SSRI's, etc & will tell you what "wont" work for you which will save you the trouble & time of taking a month to try each one till you find the right one for you. You'll know up front what wont work so, you can get to what will work. If you can't afford the test then after another 2 weeks on zoloft if it don't work by then try a different antidepressant. It's soooo worth finding the right one for you!
Xanax is addictive over time so, never take more than you have to. Something you might see if your doctor will do is switch you to Ativan. It's less addictive than xanax and has the same effects as xanax, valium, etc.. Ativan also, has a "wafer" instead of a pill *they have the pill too though.. anyway, you can put it under your tongue and let it dissolve. They get into your blood stream faster so, you don't have to wait 20 or 30 minutes to feel it's effects which can be great if you're out some where. I have some xanax from my old prescription as back up but right recently was given ativan which I like too & keep around JUST IN CASE. Comforts me a bit just having it there.
Good luck to you & take care,
T.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 06:46 AM   #3
(female)

sheltrpn HB User
Re: Taking Zoloft...sometimes xanax..still anxiety!!!

I have severe panic and anxiety which causes depression. I started on Zoloft 25 mg. on May 17th and as of last Friday I moved up to 150 mg. It did increase my anxiety at first and I took Xanax to counter act the anxiety, but I am feeling pretty good now and now having any anxiety. Hang in there it is a great med if it works.

Closed Thread