It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
(male)

SirReal HB User
Is Xanax addictive?

My father just got prescribed medication for anxiety and panic symptoms (like father like son I guess). He was given Lexapro and Xanax. He said that the Xanax immediately made him feel better when taking it, but he is very worried that he will become reliant on it. Any thoughts out there on this? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
(female)

Verucah HB User
Re: Is Xanax addictive?

I took Xanax about 10 years ago. After a terrible anxiety attack and going to the doctor they prescribed it. I was on a low dose ( don't remember exactly ) and felt immediately better, but in a comatose state. After a week of being constantly sleepy I got off. I was at work typing and remember my hands shaking. I had several days of withdrawal. If he can, he should not take that. I never was on Lexapro because after that episode I was afraid to take anything.

The thing that has been consistently effective for me is watching my diet, exercise, and a great support person. Good luck to you both...

Verucah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

xanax can become addictive. I am on Paxil and Xanax for anxiety. I take paxil for the chronic anxiety and xanax for the acute anxiety. My dr gave me a 'script for 90 of them, so I gave a lot of them to my mom to moniter how many I take and what not. I always have some on me, but she's in control of most of them.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Every person is different ( i know, i get so sick of hearing that). Some get addicted and some don't. i was just talking to someone on another post who had been on it for 22 years and quit cold turkey no probs. Other people like Verucah were only on it for a week! Once the Lexapro kicks in supposedly he shouldn;t have to take Xanax to feel better. I love Xanax, its been my lifesaver, but unfortunately I am psychologically addicted. Not physically (I don't have withdrawal or anyhting) but i think i need to have it and freak out if I don't. he should just always only take it when he needs it and to take the smallest effective dose.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
(female)

katie865 HB User

Hello....I thought I would join in on this message board. I got into see my doctor yesterday. I had been taking Zoloft 50 mg for the past couple of weeks along with Xanax as needed for Severe Anxiety due to numerous stress/problems going on in my life right now....although, I have suffered anxiety as long as I can remember!!! He wrote me a script for Buspar and said to take that as needed and see how that helps....he said NOT to take it if I am going to be taking the Xanax...but he said that it has been known to really help with anxiety without the addictive side effects. But I will say this..Xanax really does help take away my panic attack issues and severe anxiety....My dcotor also said that sometimes when you are first starting an anti-depressent it can get worse before it gets better, anxiety being one of the initial side effects that comes out.

What I am very confused about though...even after talking to him, the pharmacist.....Is how do I know when to take the buspar (if it is only as needed) or when to take the Xanax (if it is only as needed)

Buspar I read also said it can take up to weeks to work...I am very confused.....But that is a good alternative med, without the worry of dependency

Katie

Old 06-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
Veteran

Comptons HB User

When I took buspar - I took it every day but could add up to a whole additional pill if needed. I didn't have an xanax at the time - so I would also be a bit confused. Maybe you should call your drs office and ask the nurse for a better explanation of your dosage.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
(female)

mellieb HB User

I've taken xanax and I've taken klonopin. All benzos are very powerful meds. They can definitely help anxiety but can be very difficult to get off of if you've been taking them for awhile. I took klonopin for 2 years and had a hard time with it. I took xanax every day for about a month and tapered off but still had severe withdrawal symptoms.

Closed Thread