It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 06:31 AM   #1
(female)

retrochick HB User
Arrow Alprazolam/Xanax..whenever?

I have a question. Have any of you ever been perscribed xanax or alprazolam and told to take it whenever you feel like a panic attack is coming on?
I have had a stash of this Alprazolam (otherwise a generic brand of xanax) its .5mg and my last doctor prescribed it to me and told me that whenever I have an anxiety attack I can take this pill. So in other words I can take perhaps ONE xanax per month.
Does that sound strange? I thought with these meds if you take it and suddenly stop really bad stuff can happen(cause withdrawls, depression etc) Because like I say I probably only have ONE really bad panic attack a month but I do have periodic anxiety attacks (several a day and night).
Would it be bad to take this Alprazolam maybe once or twice a week for my anxiety (as if i would take a tylenol for a headache?) or could that cause big problems?

Also on a side note...Which is "worse" or which do you feel causes most side effects or unplesent feelings: Xanax or Paxil?

I really want to stop these anxiety attacks (swelling in my head/ears feel like i cant catch my breath, cant sleep) and my new doc told me to get on paxil for 6 months but I dont want to be on a daily pill that I hear bad things about. I guess I dont hear much about Xanax. I just want to know ifI should just forget all of these meds and just do what I have been doing and just DEAL with it and make it better by making changes in my life etc...
Thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
(female)

Tiggerredz HB User
Re: Alprazolam/Xanax..whenever?

I take the generic form of Xanax .5 once a day or every other day to rid myself of anxiety symptoms. My doc. assured me that wth that low of a dose no with drawls or addiction will occur as long as you are treating it for the symptoms and not for recreation. He also said the problem with panic/anxiety patients is they will never take their meds even though they will help you feel much better. I took his advice last time and began taking .5 generic Xanax everyday and I have seen a huge difference. If you are that worried about addiction, or whatever else you may be worried about than it probably won;t happen. Something else the psy. told me. Although everyone is different. Hope this helps.!

Old 06-27-2005, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran

Comptons HB User

I also have aprolozam (sp?) to take as needed. My doc says I can take up to 2 pills a day if I really need it. I usually break one in half but haven't had to take one in almost 2 years now. It's just added security having them with me. Actually I could take them more often, but I have a fear of meds - among other things. Anyway, you should be perfectly fine to taken them AS NEEDED. Meaning if you're having a bad day or a few bad days you can take one every day until you feel better. To me this is much better than being on paxil or some other meds if you can tolerate it because the side effects aren't as big an issue. Anyway, if you NEED the other meds, they can certainly be useful as well - everyone is different. However, if you'll read through these boards, you'll find that most people want the xanax and have trouble getting doctor's to prescribe it. I know for me - it works the best.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Also, the only side effects with Xanax really is that it makes you drowsy. Generally you won't experience withdrawal unless you are taking more than 2 or 3 mgs a day regularly for along period of time.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

I too am prescribed xanax to take "up to 2 pills a day, as necessary". I only ever take one if I am feeling particularly anxious or if the physical symptoms brought on by anxiety are troublesome.

Like Comptons, I rarely take them but like the security of having them there. For me, they are far better than Paxil or the other SSRI's that I have taken.

Closed Thread