It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 01:56 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

NathanF41 HB User
Middle of the nigh anxiety???

HI again everyone,

It's 5:00 in the morning. I just woke up in the middle of the night feeling like my anxiety has gone way up. My heart was beating pretty fast, but what woke me up was the short of breath feeling...almost like a mild panic attack randomly in the middle of the night. I sat up and did a bit of deep breathing, holding my breath to ease the panic. Does anyone ever get this?? When this stuff happens in the middle of the night while sleeping it makes me start thinking it's something physically wrong with me because why would I be so anxious when sleeping that it causes physical effects in the middle of the night?? Also, I feel a bit better now, but when I start falling back asleep it's like it kicks back up and I wake myself up again before falling asleep.

Anyone have some advice, or at least words of consolation that I'm not dying slowly??

Old 06-29-2005, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran

Comptons HB User
Re: Middle of the nigh anxiety???

You know the cycle - you begin to associate not breathing with sleep and the next thing you know you can't bare to fall asleep for fear of an attack. I've said this many times before - the anxiety symptoms result from a build-up of issues/stress. It's not that you were under any stress during your sleep - but rather that is just when it chose to surface. I was having this problem for a while when I had a cough and allergy problems. My throat would get dry at night and I would wake up coughing, gagging and unable to breathe - really scary. For me - doc prescribed cough med with codeine in it and that did the trick. You may want to take something at bedtime for a while - do you have xanax?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread