It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
(male)

SocialPhobiaMN HB User
Do any Dr's. refuse to prescribe benzos to you?

I have pretty severe social anxiety, and have tried everything to cope with it. Exercise, diet, a lot of natural herbs like valerian root and passion flower, but in the end nothing has helped too much. I went to a dr. over a year ago, he referred me to a psychologist who I regularly see once a month, and a psychiatrist, also seen once a month. From everything I've read on the internet, benzos like xanax and klonopin really help people with social anxiety. Right now I hardly ever leave the house, except to go to work.

So, my psychiatrist right now refuses to prescribe benzos to me, no matter what the circumstance. I was on Prozac for about a year, and now have been on Lexapro for 10 days. I don't know if the Lexapro will help me more, I'm not too optimistic. It really irks me that a lot of people talk about benzos helping them, and me not being able to have it. I know of it's addiction potential, and I know for a fact I would only take this drug 2-3 times a week. I saw another psychiatrist recently, and I got the same results: no benzo for me. I've never been addicted to anything; do these psychiatrist's know something I don't? The only thing I can figure is that I'm only 21 years old, and they think I would be selling them on the street. If I never leave the house, I probably wouldn't be selling them...

I feel like I've wasted a ton of money and time this past year on drugs and dr's who haven't helped me. I've been thinking of switching dr's, but am afraid I'm going to see the same results.

To those of you who take benzos; were they prescribed by a general Dr., or a psychiatrist? And did they show any trepidation when prescribing them to you? Thanks all for reading, I can definitely empathize with a lot of what you are going through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Do any Dr's. refuse to prescribe benzos to you?

Unless you have a medical condition that would react adversely to a benzodiazepine or you're taking some other meds such as an MAOI that shouldn't be taken with a benzo, I can't imagine why your psychiatrist wouldn't give you one. If you've tried SSRI's, and they haven't worked, the next logical step would be a benzo. My PCP prescribed Ativan for me, and I didn't even want it! I'm personally wary about benzos, and luckily for me, I only take the Ativan in addition to my daily Zoloft if I know I'll have a high anxiety-induced day. Still, I didn't even ask, and my doctor recommended the benzo. It just seems odd that you've tried every method you can think of except for benzodiazepines, and your psychiatrist refuses to prescribe it. I'd definitely ask him/her why!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
(female)

bocana HB User

I've posted about this before. I have asked my GP about trying xanax. Instead she recommeded Paxil. I feel I had done enough research to ask for something I could use on a "as needed" basis. I have never had a drug dependancy problem. I am also 46.

Actually I am very offended that my only alternative is an SSRI, when no signs of depression exist. The joke is I am even scared to try a natural supplement like valerian!

I have no idea if xanax even will work. But I wish I could try it at least!

Old 07-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
(male)

SocialPhobiaMN HB User

I forgot to mention that before I saw this psychiatrist, I was put on effexor xr a couple years ago for a while too, so I've been on 3 antidepressants now. My psychiatrist also had me on Buspar for a while for anxiety, but that didn't help me either. I know when I asked my psychiatrist before about why she's not willing to prescribe benzos to me, she said it was because of their addiction potential, and that a lot of her patients end up coming in for problems due to taking too much xanax or other benzo. I understand the need to be wary, butl like you said GatsbyLuvr, the next logical step would be a benzo.

Thanks for your input Bocana. At least now I'm pretty sure that it's not age discrimination as the reason I can't take a benzo. I totally understand about not wanting to take an SSRI if you don't feel depressed. I think I do have depression right now, but I think it's caused in large part because of social anxiety and not having any friends.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
(female)

Lissy1984 HB User

Benzo's are not as easily handed out as they used to be.

From my own point of view, I'd say steer clear of the damn things...I was addicted for almost a year to sleeping pills and valium. It was one of the worst times of my life.

Maybe your doctor thinks you'd possibly have an addictive personality? There are many other antidepressants out there that have relaxing properties that would probably work far better and be less risky to take that valium, lorazopam or anything in the benzo family.

I understand wholeheartedly how awful this is for you, as an ex sufferer myself I was agoraphobic and had a touch of social phobia thrown in.

The best way through is by facing what you are afraid of, of course this is always easier said than done.

Stick with it, all my love to you xxx

Old 07-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to socail phobia
IMO the psych is stupid and I would never go back to him
ask your GP for benzos, if he wont then try other GP docs, usually the older ones are less antibenzo, be sure to give details of all the antidepressants you tried, the time you took them and the dose
ask around about any local anxiety self help groups, they know the good and bad local professionals
does the psychologist know anyone who may prwscribe benzos

anxiety sufferers seldome have addictive type personalistes and rarely become addicted to benzos
best way to avoid becoming dependant is to take benzos only as needed and not every day

Old 07-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

here is what worked for me: I went to a young GP but NEVER brought up a medication. All I said was, "I cannot go to sleep at night. I am Not depressed; I just can't go to sleep." So he gave me 30 valiums a month. I filled out a list of questions THAT THEY REVIEW and I did not mention any anti depressants I had taken in the past. If you do, then they're convinced you're depressed!
Now, here's the difference: I was 49 years old then. In some way, that gives the doctor more "confidence" that the patient doesn't have any weird ideas going on. It's a discrimination, of sorts, yes. A married, 49 yr old woman simply exudes more self control than someone of your age.
So, go see another doctor. Ok? My daughter is 39 and she said doctors won't give her anything either!

Old 07-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
(male)

SocialPhobiaMN HB User

Sounds like I'll try a different GP, and see what they say. The problem is my insurance, as I can only go to one hospital, and my psychologist, who I do generally like, is at one hospital, so I pretty much have to see whoever is in that hospital. I've seen two different psychiatrists within this clinic, and both have said no to benzos. They were both recommended to me by my psychologist too! So, I guess I'll see what happens!

Old 07-02-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Here is what 3 different Dr. told me.
They said they don't really help "long term" that the body metabolizes it real fast and it wears off. I do have One Dr. that gives me them but not for anxiety for migraine headaches of all things. When I get a migraine the muscles in my neck get real bad and that prompts a migraine?

Closed Thread