It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

Lilly10 HB User
Question Need Lexapro Advise!!!

Hi everyone!

I am new to this board but not new to anxiety at all. Since I was 16 I have been dealing with anxiety and I am 26 now. I have never taken anything for it as I have always been very against medications. My new doctor is "encouraging lexapro" and has told me that the side effects are very low in reguards to weight gain, insomnia, and making anxiety worse. Lately my anxiety is unbearable so I would like to try it but I'm scared as I have read alot about it and seems the side effects are high with this drug. Also people have stated that it makes them feel like they are "tripping out" and im all set with feeling that way. Could anyone offer any input to me negative or positive with their experience with this drug. Thanks!

Last edited by Lilly10; 03-23-2006 at 06:02 AM.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User
Re: Need Lexapro Advise!!!

There is a adjustment period, for me it took two weeks before all the side effects went away. I am doing great on it now. I haven't had weight gain or anything I just feel much better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

lexapro may help a lot, valium type meds reduce any early side effects
start with a low dose of lexapro for the first 2 weeks or so
lexapro is a newish prozac type med

Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
(female)

ydnam HB User

I'm on 20mg, and I have never felt like I was "tripping out." I don't know what that's all about. I am VERY happy with this drug. I used to take Paxil. Paxil was alright, but I gained 20 lbs on it and have been off it for over a year and a half and still haven't been able to lose that weight. I have no side effects what so ever with Lexapro. It's wonderful. I mentioned on another post that you don't realize how much it's helping unless you try to stop taking it. (I thought I didn't need it any more, and boy was I wrong). It will take about 4-6 weeks before you'll get the full effect of it though. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

Thank you all for your input! I have heard people say they started on 5 mg. My doctor gave me 10mg I think I may want to start on 5mg. Is there a 5mg pill or is that just the 10mg cut in half??

Old 07-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Hey, I am also not new to anxiety I am also 26. I have been taking lexapro for a while now and It saved me! I feel almost normal! I started on 5mg you cut the 10mg in half because there is no 5mg pill. I am upping my dose to 15 now. I have not had any weight gain. at first you may have insomnia and increased sweating but it goes away rather quickly! I really like lexapro comapred to the others I have tried. good luck
Carly

Old 07-05-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

Ok then I will just take 1/2 of the 10mg. I'm just nervous (as usual) that I will have some rare side effect! But so far I have had great feed back! I have been putting off taking this for weeks now and I have a follow up appointment on 07/08/05 this friday and Im suppose to let my doctor know how things have been going on it and I have not even taken it yet!

Last edited by Lilly10; 07-06-2005 at 06:14 AM.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

its OK to cut pills, especially if theres a scored line in the middle
slow release pills may not have the slow release feature if cut
a pill cutter can be got for a small cost from a pharmacist

Old 07-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
(female)

Quistisious HB User

I have been on Lexpro for 2-3 years. My biggest complaint is the sexual side effect - I have NO SEX DRIVE! It sucks worse than having anxiety, in my opinion. It makes me feel inadequate and distant from my boyfriend. He feels inadequate, as well. The prescription for Lexapro is "Extreme Depressive Disorder". I don't know if I have "that", but when I tried going off of it last year, I experienced clinical depression (crying fits, suicidal thoughts, down all the time, feelings of worthlessness, etc). The upside to Lexapro, is it has completely kept my OCD in check! But the major downside, as I said, is it makes me feel like robot - no sexual drive. I don't feel human. And not only that, but everything is desensitized.

I'm currently switching over to Zoloftm but have encountered a few difficulties with mood swings, crying fits, and the lack of motivation to do anything. And, being on both of those meds at once has killed my sex ability to enjoy sexual pleasure even moreso than before. Zoloft has a side effect of "male erectile disfunction", so I'm gonna test that one out to see if I have no sexual side effects. Wellbutrin XL is a new med that boasts "low sexual side effects".. so if a healthy sex life is important to you, you might think about looking into that one. Also, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is effective in controlling anxiety without medication. Try that one first, to see if it helps. (In most cases, it's proven that prescription meds can actually harm your body)

I personally would love to ditch Lexapro.. but it's up to you - most people don't experience any side effects, so it's your call. I just thought I'd share personal experiences with you on Lexapro. Good luck with everything.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
(female)

sarakay444 HB User

I'm pretty sure the pills only come in 10mg and 20mg. I started on 10 and switched to 20 a few months ago. I never really had bad side affects when I was ON the medication...it was when I tried to STOP taking it. I had the spins so badly that I could barely function. After a week of feeling like I was going to puke every time I turned my head, I went back and got another refill. I would like to try to get off of them now but I feel hooked...I remember how bad I felt going throgh withdrawal last time that I don't want to do it again.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #11
(male)

Glenzo HB User

I take Lexapro 10mg daily. Helping me yes so I'd say it's a good med. The only side effect is the Sexual one. Delayed/diffuculty with ejaculation (down below is desensitized).

What gets me is that no one seems to have a genuine solution to this side effect. Why not? It's 2005!

Everyone is entitled to good sex so us SSRI takers are missing out!!

Light shed on the problem would be great!

Old 07-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I've heard of some taking a very short break from their ssri, like over the weekend and that seems to combat the sexual side effects for them. I don't think that would be possible with the effexor type, though.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #13
(female)

jjules HB User
Question Re: Need Lexapro Advise!!!

Hey everyone, I just got samples of Lexapro from my Dr. today and have been wanting the scoop on it and remembered there was a few here in anxiety area. Does anyone who takes it suffer from panic also and if so does it help with that too???? I went to there web site but it really didn't say much about PAD. I'm thinking it probaly will. She wouldn't give me any benzos and I'm not too sure I want them-they could be addicting for me. Thanks for any info. Oh by the way did it make any of you super drowsy? That drives me nuts. Thanks, Jules

Old 07-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

At first yes it did make me tired. It took about two weeks for the side effects to subside. I started April 22. I had periods of being Manic and felt like I was crawling right out of my skin. I wanted to quit many, many times. I stuck it out and i am very thankful because it's really helping. I too have Panic Disorder BAD and it's helped.
The thing it has helped most with is the obsessive thought process.
Also I started on 5 cutting the ten in half. Starting small saved me because I would have quit for sure taking the full ten right away.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #15
(female)

jjules HB User

Thanks Bell99 I was also wondering what is the cost of a 30 day script??? Probaly expensive like everything else these days...Jule

Closed Thread