It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
(female)

fatcatdogbog HB User
best anxiety med. for weight loss

i have been on paxil and cymbalta and have gained a little weight and from everything i have read on these boards, many other people have too. is there a good anxiety med. that truly doesnt have weight gain and sexual side effects? i know nothing is 100% for everyone, i just would like one with a pretty good track record.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: best anxiety med. for weight loss

your meds were antidepressants, did they help, sometimes they dont.....they are now heavily promoted for anxiety and panic attacks as the sole proper cure, which they arent, IMO

these meds dont alter your metabolism or weight, you gain or lose weight from alterations to the amount you eat and exercise, occasionaly some such as mirtazepine seem to promote compulsive eating
sex problems are common from these meds, sometimes a process of trying several of them may eventually find you 1 that is less of a problem

an alternative is any valium type med, taken as needed only, but IMO an antidepressant that is working for you is a better med

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
(female)

Jitterygal HB User

Really, Paxil doesn't cause weight gain??? I am a marathon runner and aerobics instructor and everytime I have had to go on the meds I gain weight--then when I am able to come off the meds, I lose it quickly. I know I am not eating any more than usual and exercising more than before, actually...Wonder what is causing it??? Could I be retaining more water or something??? Jitterygal

Old 07-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #4

lannen HB User

I don't know for sure what meds are best for not gaining weight but I've heard good things about Zoloft. I can tell you from personal experience that I gained about 30-40lbs on Effexor over a 2 yr period. And my sex drive was non-existant. I've been off all med for about 1 1/2 yrs now and can feel that anxiety rearing it's ugly head but cannot afford to gain any weight so I'm trying to manage without meds. We'll see how it goes.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #5

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
your meds were antidepressants, did they help, sometimes they dont.....they are now heavily promoted for anxiety and panic attacks as the sole proper cure, which they arent, IMO

these meds dont alter your metabolism or weight, you gain or lose weight from alterations to the amount you eat and exercise, occasionaly some such as mirtazepine seem to promote compulsive eating
sex problems are common from these meds, sometimes a process of trying several of them may eventually find you 1 that is less of a problem

an alternative is any valium type med, taken as needed only, but IMO an antidepressant that is working for you is a better med
With all due respect, hry33, SSRI's do alter the metabolism. Before Paxil I was 14% body fat and 30lbs lighter. I ate clean, ran 40miles a week, took spin classes. I'm pretty much a workout fiend. All of this and I gained 30lbs of fat in two years. I'm no longer on a SSRI and I'm having a heck of time losing the Paxil and Celexa weight in spite of 90minutes of cardio 5-6 times per week!

Old 07-09-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

I also totally disagree with hry33. I have been on lexapro for almost two years. I weighed 110 when I went on it now I weigh almost 160. Nothing has changed except for the fact that I started taking lexapro. I am now in the process of weening myself off of it.

Good luck everyone!

-Angela

Last edited by MissAngela; 07-09-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hi all - Don't want to enter the debate about what meds. alter your metabolism, because I have no idea. All I know is that I am on klonopin (a benzo/valium type med.) and have actually been able to lose weight (15 lbs.) while on it. I have altered my eating, drinking (no more soda pop!), and excercise schedule, and I believe it is because I got control of my anxiety and was able to "get my act together." I don't think the klonopin helped in the weight loss, but by putting my mind and body to it, I am successfully losing weight while on it. Let me just add that I was suffering from pure anxiety, not depression, so I don't think klonopin would be for you if you have depression issues. Best wishes, Marirose

Old 07-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Marirose, is that all you take for your anxiety? I would much prefer to go the exercise/limited sugar and caffeine/alprazolam as needed route, then deal with these antidepressants! I think it could work much better for me....Does your dr. think you can do this long term? I have never taken klonopin, just alprazolam (generic xanax).
Kelly

Old 07-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

I've actually lost weight on Lexapro. I've been taking it for a few months now and I've lost around 10 lbs since starting it. Everyone is different, but I really haven't had much of an appetite since starting this med.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

HI Kelly, Yes, I only take klonopin for my anxiety. I have never taken anything else. I do not have depression issues, just GAD. I take .5mg twice a day. However, I am feeling so much better during the day that I am going to talk to my doc. about weaning off the daytime dose when I next see him in Sept. I have been taking klonopin since January of this year, and it has helped tremendously!!! Also, my doc. did say he didn't care if I take it for the rest of my life, so that it is kinda reassuring because I don't feel like I "have" to get off it, but I want to eventually, just because I would like to be medicine-free as a personal choice. And eating right, excersizing, and having the klonopin help me get a good night sleep is the best "medicine" I have come up with so far after years of dealing with anxiety. Hope this helps! Let me know how things go! Marirose

Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Thanks, Marirose, for your reply. I probably shouldn't have jumped on this thread like I did. Do you have any side effects from the klonopin like weight gain, tiredness, ect? I think I might ask my dr. about the klonopin. I am trying effexor now, but am so scared about the withdrawal. If I didn't have to take an ad, that would be great!
Kelly

Old 07-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Oops, sorry! I just reread your post and saw where you lost weight. You are so lucky for finding something that works for you! Thanks again!

Old 07-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #13
(female)

storm12 HB User

Since I started on prozac in March after having tried paxil, zoloft, and effexor over the years, I have lost almost 30 pounds. I have had less of an urge to snack while taking prozac - that combined with exercise has helped me. I hope it doesn't rebound or something because right now it is helping my anxiety - and speeding up my metabolism (my temperature is running closer to "normal" lately - instead of 1 to 2 degrees below that). I still want to lose 15 more pounds, but I am feeling so good about myself right now. I have just hit another weight plateau. I probably should increase my exercise amount again.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:24 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I've been on Zoloft for two years and I've gained about 15 pounds. I'm the same as everybody else- I haven't changed my eating or exercise habits, and it really started about a year and a half ago. Then I switched to Lexapro before going back on Zoloft- I blame the Lexapro... It's good to know that others who are concerned with being healthy have also gained weight, even though they didn't change their lifestyle.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hi Kelly - I don't think it's a problem that you jumped in on this thread, but just wanted to add that I have been on klonopin for short term periods (6months to a year) several times in my life, and withdrawal is not bad if you do it under your docs supervision. If you want to post more about this, maybe we should start a new thread because we are kinda off the weight loss theme, and I would be glad to post with someone who is thinking of trying to manage anxiety the same way I am trying. I'll look for a post from you if you are interested in exchanging more ideas/info. on lifestyle improvement and/or meds. Thanks! marirose

Last edited by Marirose; 07-12-2005 at 08:44 AM.

Closed Thread