It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Will Zoloft help Anxiety/Panic Attacks???

I have been dealing with alot over the last year and a half, I had back surgery back in June04...then had a breast reduction in March this year... been out of work, been battling back and forth with my long term disability company to get them to pay me, had to apply for SSI... due to severe chronic pain due to nerve damage from the back problems.... My partner got hurt at work, has been out of work for nearly a year... been paid by Workers Comp, but only 60% of her pay....my insurance went over to COBRA and ran out in June.. now I can not get insurance because they tell me my problem is pre existing.... my partner is on COBRA and hers is outrageous....I have to be on Monthly meds...Methadone...(which is a narcotic for pain 20mg 3x a day) Zanaflex ( a muscle relaxer) Adderall ( which is used to reverse the sedation of the Mehtadone and Zanaflex) and Supposed to be on Zoloft... but I have heard it can make Anxiety/Panice Attacks worse.....

Ok so now that I have given you a bit of my history.... now to my symptoms and question....Ok, I have had about 3 Panic/Anxiety Attacks in the last 2 months... One was lastnight.... but for the last couple days I have been experiencing a pain that comes and goes in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades... then it feels like it comes out the front of my chest right in the middle under my breast bone.... and I also feel a achy, tingly kinda numbish feeling in my left arm and hand....but this all comes and goes, it is not constant......Well lastnight I had a panic attack... it started that I felt a wave of almost like heat come over me on the inside, started from my head, down both arms into my hands, through the rest of my body into my legs and feet, got a numbish feeling... I started to trimble, and cry... and then all of a sudden got exremely cold, and was still shivering and shaking... I started taking deep slow breaths... breathing in and out...then after about 10 min or so... it passed...I had this slight twinging kinda pain in my chest and arm...that gradually stopped, and I went to sleep... when I woke this morning...I had no pain whatsoever..got up moved around the house... did a few things felt fine.... then this evening, I have been having a slight twinging feeling in my chest and in my arm that moves around... and it is not constant, it comes and goes...

Does this sound like Anxiety/Panic disorder.... and do the symptoms afterwards with the twinges and such sound like they are from the Attack, or possibly a problem with my heart? Just wanted some input... I have decided that if it continues to go see my doctor, and tell them what is going on... but would still like some input from others that have experienced panic/anxiety attacks....

Thanks Alot

TRose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Will Zoloft help Anxiety/Panic Attacks???

That's what it's designed to be used for, but it might not help you specifically. Some people (I'm one of them) are lucky enough to get the right medication the first time around- I knew Zoloft was for me the first day I took it. Others, unfortunately, have to play around a bit with different "SSRI/benzodiazepine cocktails," mixing different combos to see what will work. Everybody's individual chemistry is different, so even though Zolof is made in order to help ease anxiety and panic attacks, this doesn't necessarily mean that it will do it for you. It might and it might not. If you try Zoloft and find that it doesn't help you, you'll just have to try Paxil or Prozac or Xanax until you get the right one...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Will Zoloft help Anxiety/Panic Attacks???

to texas
zoloft is one of many prozac type meds and these often help a lot with panic attacks, sommetimes they reduce pain also
start with a low dose and gradually increase, these meds take 2 to 6 weeks to work properly and occasionally never work
get a doc or pharmacist to consider whether you will still need all the other meds

read up on panic attacks and the fight or flight response on the net

you and partner would get much help from relaxation by massaging eachother, massage books are available

Closed Thread