It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

CANEY GIRL HB User
Question Tongue Feels Strange?

Anyone Experience Odd Feelings With Thier Tongue With Anxiety? I Feel Like My Speech Is Slurred But It's Not. It Just Is Hard To Describe. Please Respond. This Is Stressful For Me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
(female)

NicoleMM HB User
Re: Tongue Feels Strange?

This happens to me all the time. When I went to my GP in Feb for "panic attacks", and I told her that one of my symptoms was slurred speech...she first thought I was diabetic (I am not) or hypo-glycemic (I am). For me, when my blood sugar gets too low, I get the slurred speech, which makes me very uncomfortable...and thus brings on the anxiety. Anyway, I went through a battery of tests before she finally diagnosed me with anxiety in May!

Here is a relevant story...last Fall, my dad called me at my office at about 3:00PM...before he got off the phone he said that if he didn't know that I was in the office (I work from home alot) he would have thought that I had been drinking. So my worst fears were confirmed then...I thought the swollen tongue and slurred speech were things that only I noticed...but apparently not.

I would go see your GP to see what s/he has to say about your situation.

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-13-2005 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Note edit to your post. Don't reveal anything about family members that may add undue weight to your opinion. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

slurred speech can be from stress and anxiety
hypoglycemia, low blood sugar is a different thing that causes anxiety like problems
get doc to check you

Old 07-13-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
(female)

CANEY GIRL HB User

Thanks. My Speech Is Not Slurred According To Everyone Around Me. My Tongue Just Feels Strange Kinda Like Iv'e Stuck It Out For Along Time But It Doesn't Hurt.now That I'm Obsessing About My Tongue I Notice Every Word I Say. I Keep Messing Up On Words Like Pat Instead Of Pot. I Know Everybody Does It. Why Does The Symptoms Get So Much Worse When You Focus On Them.IF ANYONE HAS HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS PLEASE TELL ME . I AM SO WORRIED ABOUT THIS. I DON'T HAVE INSURANCE AND CAN'T GO TO THE DOCTOR FOR EVERY LITTLE THING.

Last edited by CANEY GIRL; 07-16-2005 at 02:03 PM.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #5
(female)

raqwest HB User

I know exactly how you feel. I had such horrible problems with my tounge earlier this year and I am now taking Effexor to reduce my anxiety. I have had scopes of my throat, sonagrams and all kinds of tests and they found nothing. I felt like my tounge was being pulled down my throat constantly. I also felt like I was slurring and had slow speech. I swore I had bulbar ALS and planned my funeral. I searched everywhere and no one had these feelings like me so I would never believe it was the anxiety. However, now I trully believe it was anxiety because since I am taking the meds, the feelings have subsided. If I think about it, like I am right now, I feel it again. It still worries me sometimes, but I have to put it out of my head. I know it is difficult, but eventually I hope you get peace from it.

Raq

Old 03-04-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
(female)

sjp416 HB User

OH MY GOODNESS.....this is me!!!!!!!!!
I have been having this feeling for a few days now...I cannot take it..I keep on looking up symptoms of ALS.....It is very scary..I have been to my doctor about 10 times, neurologist twice, gyno once, physicians assistant twice and eye doctor once all since June....they all tell me I am fine but I feel like they missed something...I pray everyday that this is just anxiety!!!!!
My tongue feels swollen and I can't get my "ss" out right..of course no one else notices this but me....I can't take it!!!!
My tongue feels like I dranks or ate something really cold and I am unable to say certain words, numb but not.....
I am just happy to hear others feel this way too!!!!

-Shannon

Old 03-04-2006, 08:02 AM   #7
(male)

Looneyinmn HB User

Count me in, I thought for sure I was the only one that obsessed over my tongue. Sometimes when I mispeak a word or something comes out wrong you just know it's a sign of "something". Anyone else notice when you eat cold things it gets worse?

Two cents of advice to Shannon-I got real caught up in looking up symptoms on the web. Worst thing I ever did from an anxiety standpoint. Everything seems to fit our symptoms. I absolutely don't do it anymore under any circumstances. The only thing I go to is this board. Try it if you can, I bet it'll help.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
(male)

MrShannon HB User

Oooooooooook, I've had tongue issues too recently. Not swollen, but dry and white. I went to doctors about it, and he said it's not anything to worry about. I got a tongue scraper and started cleaning it everyday. It has helped, but my mouth is still dry. I feel like I have to swallow all the time. Can anyone relate dry mouth and white tongue to anxiety?

Old 03-05-2006, 06:21 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User

Yeah. I get a really dry mouth when I'm anxious. I also experience difficulty swallowing, which is really embarrassing when eating in a restaurant, I fear that I'm going to choke on my food and cause a scene. I dont get a white tongue though.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

kw123 HB User

when i eat something cold i really notice tonguefeeling weird. almost hard to move.

Closed Thread