It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
(male)

Josh_B HB User
Does Anxiety EVER go away? Or are we all cursed forever?

Honestly, is there no cure for anxiety? Is it like the HIV of emotional diseases? I have SEVERE anxiety problems, and I have recently been asking myself if the rest of my life is going to be like this (I'm only 23).

The racing heart, constant outrageous worry, etc......Is it guaranteed to me forever? I am taking Lexapro, but it only does what it's suppose to......take the edge off. But aside from the edge, anxiety still remains. This CANNOT be how life is for the rest of my days.....or is it?

Input plz

Last edited by Josh_B; 08-03-2005 at 10:14 PM.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
(female)

janb2 HB User
Re: Does Anxiety EVER go away? Or are we all cursed forever?

Josh ~ I sympathize with you...the answer is yes, it can go away and no, you do not have to live your entire life like this. Last year after a brief illness, I became anxious and then began having full blown panic attacks. I could not be alone, I was always terrified, my husband had to be with me 24 - 7 and eventually lost his job. I had to try a few of the seratonin drugs - lexapro, paxil, etc. but had adverse reaction - cannot begin to tell you how bad that got...HOWEVER...my doctor prescribed Xanax and I began therapy with an anxiety program. The xanax helped me. There are several programs , but the one that helped me most was "attacking anxiety". It teaches you skills to overcome it. I wish I could tell you it is an overnight cure, but it isn't. In my case, I also had some other issues and began to see a christian counselor ~ Now, I'm still on the xanax, but my doctor said he will begin to wean me from it soon, very gradually. I do everything normally that I used to do, have coped with many things I never thought I'd be able to endure and I am enjoying my life. {REMOVED} THERE IS HOPE!!!! I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-04-2005 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Please re-read the posting rules as to why your post was edited. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 12:59 AM   #3
(male)

pjcat HB User

While there is no technical "cure" for anxiety right now, there are things you can do to at least minimize your anxiety. Try to find ways to keep your mind busy. Find something you like to do and do it often. Pick up a hobby, join some activites, etc. etc. Take long walks and bike rides. When you feel the physical symptoms of anxiety come on -stop what your doing take a deep breath and tell yourself its just anxiety, it will go away, there is nothing wrong with me. If your absolutely terrified go to a doctor about your symptoms. If nothing else, at least your test results should give you piece of mind.

I know how you feel anxiety can be really hard sometimes. There are plenty of times where I feel like I'm Homer Simpson in that one simpsons episode where he grabs his head manically, screams "I'm GOING CRAZY!!!" and runs around in circles screaming.

Cheers

P.S. (Sorry if this post sounds like an impersonal pamphlet. I just got done debating politics with some people, and my brain is still kinda in analytical mode )

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-04-2005 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Please note edit to your post...if you know you should star out part of a word, then it follows that you shouldn't use that word on the boards at all. Thanks, ms_mod

Old 08-04-2005, 04:16 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Hi Josh,
I am sorry your going through this. Anxiety can go away. My anxiety started 9 years ago. I was very very anxious. I eventually got it under control and felt fine until just recently when some health issues have made it return. These last few weeks have been horrible for me. Constant worry. I can't eat, sleep or be left alone. But, I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I am feeling a little bit of me coming back. I am currently taking Lexapro and Lorazepam. I hate that I have to take them but it helps me to get my thoughts back to where they should be.

If your not finding relief with the Lexapro there are other things available. Talk to your doctor and be honest about how your feeling. This board has also helped me alot. I am currently searching for a local group to join for support.
You will get better. I know it seems so hopeless now but you will find ways to make yourself better.

Good luck and I hope you have better days soon

Old 08-04-2005, 06:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I was diagnosed with GAD 11 years ago.The first year with it was a nightmare.Then it seemed to gradualy go away.I had 5 or 6 years with an attack here and there,but nothing that bad,so i thought I must be cured.All this without any meds too.Well then it hit me worse then ever.I tried to deal with it without meds of course with all the physical symptoms and thinking I was dying of something I did get checked out by my doctor.Well then it got even worse and on top of it all I was clenching my teeth 24/7 and couldnt seem to stop.So I got on meds and it was all gone.After a few years I got off meds that was about a year and half ago and here I am now......I get anxiety but it hasnt been all the time and not real bad.I have rambled,but to answer your question I think maybe it depends on the person and how bad their case is? I dont know maybe.I have heard alot of people claim to be cured though and have been fine for longer then I ever have.

take care..........Beth

Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #6
Veteran

Comptons HB User

Eventuallty you learn to live with it. The symptoms will be much less severe in the future. For me (10 years plus) it's cyclical. I can go long periods of time feeling normal and than 'bam' it hits again. The good news is - it usually isn't as bad as those first few years. I am reading self-help books. I've been off meds for over 2 years. I too hope I can feel normal and not struggle the rest of my life. Just make that choice not to let it win and go for it!!!

Old 08-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I completely agree with what you said comptons " you learn to live with it"
and the thing is once you do that it usualy is not no where near as bad or at least doesnt last as long.When I start to feel it comming on ,in whatever fashion it does,I usualy tell myself " ok here comes that anxiety again I will be fine and it wont get the best of me" and seriously alot of times this does help even makes it dissapear sometimes.If that doesnt work well I just live with it and I try my best not to panic or do anything to make it worse and this seems to make it go away faster.

take care

Old 08-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to josh
the lexapro should be helping more, ask doc about upping the dose

Closed Thread