It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User
Question 9 year old is having panic attacks...

My 9 year old daughter just started having panic/anxiety attacks. Litterally for no reason at all. Example, we went out to eat tonight & she had one walking into the resturant then right after we went to Home Depot & she had one going in there. I asked her was she nervous about anything & she says no. I don't know how to help her with this. And isn't she too young to be having them. She says she feels as if she can't breath & she can't swollow & her heart is pounding. I try to talk her through them & that normally works. My concern is she starts back school in a few weeks & I don't want her having them at school. Does anyone know much about this? What causes it? What should I do about it? And is she too young for it?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-13-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

faeriegirl25 HB User
Re: 9 year old is having panic attacks...

Chris,
I think that you should get your daughter into see a therapist as soon as possible... I have been dealing with panic attacks pretty much my whole life, and I can trace my first one back to when I was age 8. My parents really didn't know what was causing my attacks, and I didn't get any help until I was 23 when I was diagnosed with Agoraphobia ( fear of being in a place I had trouble escaping.).

Its hard to say what has caused her to develop these attacks, in my opinion it could be caused by many things. I can see your concern for her starting school soon, I think that if you take her to see someone so that she can start feeling better, she'll be okay at school.

Take Care
Fae

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to hoping
is there a history of panic attacks in the family? has she been checked for siezures, docs sometimes say panic attack if they cant work out exactly whats happening

Old 08-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Hey! I'm sorry to hear about your daughter developing panic attacks so early, but it's not really that uncommon. It seems that the anxiety disorders are the mental illnesses that are most often diagnosed in childhood. I don't think that age 9 is extremely early- I can remember having panic attacks since I was at least five and possibly even since three, so don't feel bad! I don't have panic disorder, though. My panic attacks are due to OCD, GAD, and phobias- in a certain situation, I know that I'll have a panic attack; they're not unexpected without a source of definite worry like your daughter's having. I agree with the others' advice about taking her to see someone. No child should have to deal with this in their academic life. Believe me, as someone who's been having panic attacks multiple times a day during my whole time that I've been in school (just graduated high school), it's not fun, but being physically sick on every single test day or before every single presentation has just become second nature to me. It might sound like I just have "test anxiety," but it's much worse than that. I get panic attacks in other situations- I'm actually having a minor one right now! LOL! For some reason, going on the computer has always made me nervous... It's best to treat your daughter early so she can live her life without fear. The problem with me is that I didn't know what I experienced was a panic attack until age 16, and now if I'm in a situation where I should have a panic attack and I don't (such as before a test), I actually worry about not worrying enough! I honestly don't know how I'd react without them because they've been such a miserable part of my life for sooo long. You should be proud that you were able to catch her symptoms so early on before her parasympathetic nervous system becomes non-existent, like mine... God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 08-14-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Felicia65 HB User

hopingchris . as a mother myself I think my first step would be to take her to a her doctor. to rule out any other causes. I can remember being axious at an early age. But never to the point that it took my breath . but that one be my first step, what ever is causing it it needs to be seen about. Good luck god bless her.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:24 AM   #6
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

HopingChris,
Hello I started having attacks when I was 9 also, I would Hyperventilate until I would pass out. Its strange but I remember early on that I learned how to keep from passing out by relaxing and trying to slow down my breathing. After awhile I was really good at it. Funny thing is I still do that today. My doctor did put me on a low dose of something I really dont remember what it was and it worked really well. There was never any reason for them. I remember a few times I was just watching tv and it would start. Pressure in my chest and really hard time breathing. I think that scared me the most and thats when I would start to hyperventilate. I do think its a good idea to atleast bring her to her doctor and talk to him about it. Another thing maybe there is something bothering her and she doesnt want to talk to you about it. Sometimes its easier just to talk to someone you dont see everyday.

Closed Thread