It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 03:04 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
lexapro and weight gain?????

I have been on Lexapro for a few months and have gained alot of weight Could it be the lexapro contributing to this??
I Hope not because it truly helps.

Lisa

Old 08-23-2005, 05:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User
Re: lexapro and weight gain?????

I am quite sure it is the lexapro. I just started lexapro again and it definately makes me more hungry and have a craving for carbs. I don't know if I have the cravings because I am so tired all the time, or it my appetite has truly increased. The lex does work, though, for my panic and anxiety, so I am not quite sure what to do. I really need to exercise more, but am lacking the energy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2005, 06:05 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

I know the feeling about exercise. I have had four back surgeries in two years for three fractures in the spine. I had all kinds of cages, rods, and screws plus a machine for the nerve pain.
I cant afford anymore weight gain.
It definately works though.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I was on Zoloft for a year and a half before switching to Lexapro- big mistake! I gained about 10-15 pounds, {REMOVED}this really concerned me. I didn't change my eating or exercise habits, so I know it was the Lexapro. Now, I'm back on Zoloft, and I haven't gained anything...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-23-2005 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Please re-read the posting rules as to why your post was edited. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Old 08-23-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
(male)

mickey56 HB User

I have never had a problem with Lexapro and weight.In fact my psych says a lot of patients claim loss of appetite! Everyone is different as are the meds.Good luck!

Old 08-23-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
(male)

smc612 HB User

i was on lexapro for 4 days and by the 3rd day all i wanted to do was eat. no appetite for anything but sweets and bread. stopped taking it because i am diabetic.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

netle HB User

I've been experiencing an increased appetite with the Lexapro. I find myself craving junk food more than ever and I normally eat rather healthier, smaller meals.

So far, I haven't seen much in weight gain but it's still early and I went most of the summer unable to eat at all. I'm really nervous about gaining weight, although my husband is just happy that I'm able to eat again.

I used to workout regularly before all this started and when I lost my appetite during the summer I really didn't have the energy. Now I am getting my strength back and have been working out more. I am hoping that I'll be able stay ahead of whatever Lexapro might do.

Last edited by Geek_Kittie; 08-23-2005 at 02:13 PM.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User

Well I truly believe that exercise can make a huge difference. Problem is, no one wants to do it. Some people cant (I understand that), but for those of the people that can work out....it truly does help. I too am on Lexapro. This is my second time around on it. A few years back when I was first on it I did gain a lot of weight. I ate a lot. At the same time...I absolutely did not do much at all to be active except work 40 plus hours a week. All that did was stress me out and when I got home I ate. Well this time around I am exercising every day now. Its a big deal to me because I dont want to be heavy. I also quit smoking so I have to work extra hard at not putting on the pounds. My advice....if you can work out...work out 3 times a week at the least for 30 minutes each time. I work out daily for 30 minutes and take a break on whatever day I want to. I also work, but I make myself work out also no matter what. When I did not work out a few years ago on Lex I weighed 148. Now I am 128 eat heart healthy which means lots of vegetables and only extra virgin olive oil to cook with, drink lots of water, and work out hard. Right now at age 36 I am at the best shape I have been in my life. But dang, its hard.
Ok, thats been my experience on Lex.
WF

Old 08-23-2005, 03:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

WF, I totally agree with you....I know I need to exercise more and if I put on any weight it is probably because of just that. I can sit here and try to say it is the lex, but unless I try to do something to counteract it, then I can't really blame just the lexapro. I do know my appetite has increased, but that is because I feel so much better. Well, I feel better except for the tiredness, anyway. But who knows? If I start back exercising, maybe that will help with the fatigue. I'm glad to hear others have had success and not gained weight. I read some posts where some say they have gained huge amts. of weight and not changed eating/exercising habits, but I have to wonder....Can an ad just really pile it on no matter what you are doing? I'd also like to know what mg. everyone is taking of lex. My dr. prescribed 20, but I am only taking 10mg. Thanks!
Kelly

Old 08-23-2005, 11:15 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User

Hi americandancer, the exercise is making a huge difference. Like I mentioned, this is the second time around for me on lex...the only difference this time around is I am being really serious about being healthy and exercising as well as eating heart healthy food. Yes I think that there is an obvious likelihood that the medication must make people relaxed enough to eat food and not give much thought to it. That could possibly be true. Each person is so unique. Well, I just hope that people consider carrying around a water bottle to sip on...and not pack in the junk food. Work on making good habits while on Lexapro, plus it feels great to be healthy...as healthy as you can be.
WF Good luck all!

Old 08-24-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
(male)

Ploch HB User

itedeschi,
i was on lexapro for about 2 years and without a doubt it increased my weight. i even saw a personal trainer for 3 days a week just to try and lose/maintain my weight. i had my metabolism tested to see what was going on. it was half of what it should have been for a non-active person my age. i put on about 20 unwanted pounds....and i was even on a pretty healthy diet. i stopped taking lexapro primarily because of the weight gain. it made me even more depressed. when i stopped lexapro, my metabolism tested normal to above average! i have since lost the 20 pounds without any special diet or exercise.
paul

Old 08-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #12
(female)

awm38 HB User

I do think it can put some weight on, i just started taking it again a few days ago, and i can tell my appetite has increased. Im taking 5 mg. right now, then i will go to 10 after the first week. It does help with anxiety and depression, so i guess its worth the trade off

Old 08-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User

Yes I completely agree, it does help with anxiety and depression. I figure, I dont want to gain weight so I am going to work as hard as I possibly can to not gain the weight...and for me that means working out every day working up a sweat.
Best wishes to all fellow-sufferers of anxiety and depression, its no fun to be struggling with anxiety so personally I think its definately a good trade off for me to just stick with it.
WF

Closed Thread