It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
(male)

Soodle HB User
Breathless

Just a quick one.

Does anyone else get a feeling of breathlessness that doesn't seem to be related to hyperventilation?

I get it all the time (not necessarily with activity) and even when I try to breath deep and slow, it doesn't seem to help. Also get worse after a meal??????

Cheers all

Old 08-24-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
(male)

viablex1 HB User
Re: Breathless

I had that. You might want to get checked out for GERD. I got to where I couldn't breath at all. I was put on nexium and now I breath fine.

Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
(female)

princesscol HB User

I get that all the time. It feels like I’m too full or something. That is the worst. My worst symptom of panic attacks are the not breathing and “going crazy” feeling anything else I can handle

Old 08-24-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran

Comptons HB User

Yes I get breathless. Any little allergy, cold, heat, etc that changes breathing makes me VERY aware of it. You can place your hand over your stomach to tell whether you are breathing from your chest or diaphragm. If from diaphragm - the stomach will rise and fall with breathing. This is the better type of breathing - chest breathing isn't as good. Most people who have breathing issues are chest breathers. You're supposed to practice using the diaphragm until it becomes second nature.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to soodle get checked for asthma, anxiety sufferers arent immune to other illnesses
also severe muscle tension can make deep brteathing difficult
have a long soak in a hot bath and see if deep breathing is easier then

Old 08-25-2005, 05:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I believe for me it happens for two reason sometimes im not breathing right and other times im way tensed up what works for me is walking after a good medium to fast paced walk i breath easier ,heart beats calmer,and i just feel peaceful......may not be for you though

Old 08-25-2005, 05:33 AM   #7

bladebeam HB User

My doctor is pretty convinced I dont have asthma he said my peak flow scores were good.But I cant seem to stop this breathing problem I have.Problem is when i excercise I am always aware of my breathing getting heavier and I start hyperventilating because (i think) I am worried about it.
But I just dont seem to be able to beat this and its getting me down.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:23 AM   #8
(male)

kingam HB User

you get breathless because whether you realize it or not, you arent breathing properly. when you are tense, you breath more shallow whether you realize it or not. try breathing deep and continuing to breath deep.

the dizziness is because of either lack of oxygen or too much oxygen... if you continue to do your breathing exercises it WILL subside... its all science, when you look at it that way, its way less scarey... worse came to worse and you were to pass out (which wont happen) your body would automatically regulate itself and you would live, wake up, and be fine... its a fact.

it helped me so much to look at anxiety as a function of science... it feels less scary.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #9
(female)

Abbieno12 HB User

I can deal with almost anything but this is the one thing that is horrible. I get to where I cant get a deep breath. Im doing it now!!
Sometimes I have to just walk away from a situation and try to get a deep breath.
Good Luck
Taylor

Old 09-09-2005, 04:41 AM   #10
(female)

Derangea HB User

This is EXACTLY what was happening to me for the past two weeks. I could not get enough air. I would even yawn and it wouldn't work! Who would have thought that a yawn wouldn't let you take in air. I tried breathing excerises but a lot of good those do when you cant breathe right. I'm better now though. I think with me I was basically on the verge of a nervous breakdown with CONSTANT anxiety. Also I had a bout of sleep apnea which didn't seem to go away when I woke up. When I went to see my psychologist and we were talking and I brought it up to him, he told me after a while that I wasn't breathing right, almost like I was forgetting to breathe. So after a couple days of just basically reminding myself to breathe I dont have any problems anymore. I know, it sounds stupid because its a natural function. But when you suffer from anxiety it hard to function correctly.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

yep I have had that same thing off and on since a teen.I would yawn and couldnt get any air in and then id get anxious and and sometimes have chest pain

Closed Thread