It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
(female)

IwishIwereaman HB User
Question What do I got docs (LOL)...

About fifteen years ago when I was 10 I went through a really bad tornado. I would think with time and age (now 26) I would be able to not freak out so bad...but here's what I do.. If the weather is hot, and than turns WINDY, and rainy, thats when it starts.....My heart will race...and its all I can do to not pay attention to the sky/weather channel/news/etc...I will instantly just shut everything else around me out, and listen to the noises, and figure out my escape plan...If I am at home..I will always run to my aunts house behind me where they have a basement...If I am in the car...I go nuts...I honk and people to go faster, so that I can seek shelter..I will scream at the top of my lungs if I am in the car. Radio off..window wide open, so I can HEAR for sirens, hear for hail, just need to listen...its like if I am inside a car (which ofcourse is where I was at when the tornado came 15 yrs ago), I need to get out into safety, or otherwise, unsurounded (sp). A few years back I owned a mobile home...STUPID PLACE I KNOW..but it was my own, and I was excited..so anyway, if it even poured rain..I was in my tub, with my cat, under a mattress....if I had some time..I would get in the car, and go to somebodies house I knew 5-10 minues away..and do the panicky driving, screaming, yelling, crying. Are these panic attacks, or just little freak outs from bad memory...I try to think what it is that scares me soo much, and I am not sure..Its not the personal propery I don't want ruined...its not even so much dying or getting hurt....Its just a fear I cannot explain that takes over. Once at work, it was getting bad out...and hailing adn stuff...I got through it okay, but the next day, my bosses were laughing at me..cuz our door we have is glass...and they showed me my head prints, and hand prints were all over the door, cuz I was standing there in fear watching, and sweating, and freaking out. HELP ME PLEASE.!!! IS THERE anything I can do? What is this? I"m tired of everyone laughing at me for getting my shoes on, and running to safety!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User
Re: What do I got docs (LOL)...

sounds like a panic attack cause by the phobia of tornados.. i dont think this is all that uncommon to develop a extreme fear of a situation that was very stressful and scary..

Old 08-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: What do I got docs (LOL)...

sounds like a weather or storm phobia, a large dose of any valium type med would help a lot during yopur fears if you can find a doc who will prescribe any

it would help to see a psychologist and get desensitised, ask doc to recommend one

storm phobias are fairly common

Closed Thread