It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #1

ShawnaS HB User
Diagnosed with SAD & GAD, now dealing with family on drugs!

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in awhile on this board but have been reading everyones stories for hours. You all are so well-informed about your replies and supportive at the same time, I sometimes hesitate to put my thoughts in even if I know exactly what you all are going through.

This is my latest problem that I could really use some good advice on: I have two VERY close family members on Heroine, they have both been in and out of re-hab for about a week at a time, about 5 times total between the 2 of them. It didn't start out with heroine, it was Rx painkillers and after 2 or 3 yrs lead to that. They say they want to stop, but they just seem to say that to please the rest of the family, they have been caught doing the drugs as soon as they are released from re-hab. I am worried sick, I can't eat, sleep, concentrate and keep having panic attacks, followed by a scared shaky feeling. I don't know what I would do if I lost 1 of them. I have been diagnosed with anxiety issues in the past and have tried things like Zoloft, Paxil and (Klonopin as needed) but decided that they just weren't for me. I would like to stop worrying so much, but i don't want to be on any meds right now. I have tried counseling, I guess I should give it another try, but until then any suggestions on how to relax, and start falling asleep at night?

Old 08-25-2005, 09:24 PM   #2
(female)

ajas HB User
Re: Diagnosed with SAD & GAD, now dealing with family on drugs!

Hello Shawna
I used to put my head set on and listen to affirmatives when I went to bed, you can get great tapes or Cd's for relaxing, I like the ones where you repeat positives, ie; I can cope, I am relaxed, I live in the moment, type stuff, they really do work , also they are incredibly beneficial to your all round well- being.
I have had friends that were doing heroin, a couple used to shoot up their methadone, and really just about anything possible went up their arms, I;ve learnt that you cant help them until they truly want to stop using themselves.So you may as well try to stop worrying about them and spend the time looking after yourself.
best wishes
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2005, 10:06 AM   #3

ShawnaS HB User

Thanks for your reply Sue, I will look for those CD's. I finally got a little sleep last night, but woke up this morning feeling really anxious. When i was in High School I used to get sick in the mornings before school due to my high anxiety and nerves, but after High School it stopped for a few years. I fear it's back because I woke up throwing up and barely got myself to work this morning. So, i guess my next question is has anyone ever had that happen? I know it's my nerves, I am definitely not pregnant or anything like that- how do I make it stop? It has been about 3 hours, i ate an apple and feel much much better, but I have a bad feeling this "nervous throwing up" stuff, it is only early in the morning before work. So miserable, if anybody has suggestions please help a sista out! Thanks again for reading my whining, really I do appeciate it!

Old 08-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to shawn
klonapin will help you a lot
vomiting on waking is fairly common but look up GERD on the net, you may have this instead
exercise and long walks help people to relax

Old 08-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

ShawnaS:

I worry over my sisters' troubled lives and even normal things like bills. I have panic attacks when my worry is overwhelming. I hate anti-depressants, but Xanax is my life saver.

Is the reason you don't want to be on meds because your friends have drug problems? I wasn't clear on that. Is it all drugs you don't want to take? If you don't mind taking OTC meds, you could take Benadryl to help you sleep, and/or Zantac for your stomach.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #6

ShawnaS HB User

SRMom;
I have tried Zoloft, Paxil and Klonopin. The anti-dep. did more harm than good with me, and the Klonopin worked OK, but yes I am a bit afraid to take it because of the potential addiction, (addicts run rampant in my family). I know the naseau in the A.M is from my anxiety/nerves from anticipation of the day. I don't know that there is any meds I would be able to take without food, there is no way I can eat in the A.M. Usually I just dry-heave while I am getting ready for work and it will go away about 2 hours after I get settled in my office. (I know not a very pleasant picture, doesn't sound real pretty in the AM either) Didn't think about the Zantac- I'll give that a try. I really need to get this anxiety under control, it is taking a toll on my body, right now it is especially bad because of the family situation in my first post. Thanks everybody I love reading all your posts, they really help!

Closed Thread