It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
(female)

Derangea HB User
Question Going of Klonopin - Going on Ativan

I start school next week. I'm a senior in college but this is the first time I'm going to be away from home and have my own place with no one. For the past six months I've been taking 1.5mg/day of Klonopin but it did nothing. I still had CONSTANT anxiety. And the closer I get to my move in day (Sunday) the worse I get. So my pdoc is going to slowly take my off of Klonopin (over a 2 months span) and he prescribe for me to take 1mg of Ativan 3x/day. I dont know if this is such a good idea with school starting. I dont know what to expect. All I do know now is that I have so much anxiety that I cant even eat. I have crying spells because I just cant think, my body just cant relax. I'm also taking 200 mg/day of Lamictal and am on Orthtyclin-Lo. Can I trust my doctor's orders?

Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
(female)

red-rider HB User
Re: Going of Klonopin - Going on Ativan

sorry to hear you are having a hard time. Many here on the board take Klonopin with good results. I am unsure about the dose you mentioned(1.5mg)~dont know if that is high or low dose? Ativan 1mg x 3 a day sounds like a high dose to me. It is always better to start with a low dose and only take more as needed. I take 1mg Ativan per day to help with anxiety(nervousness) and also to help keep my BP down. It works well. If I took 1 mg 3 times a day~I would be asleep on the couch But your doctor is trying to help you adjust to a big milestone in your life~Moving away from home and family. Is it possible to have a family member or friend go with you and stay a week or two until you get settled in to your new place? Try to take the Ativan BEFORE you move and see how it affects you. For me~it has been a lifesaver. I know it is safe too. I have never had any bad effects from it. At first~I was a little headachy and slightly drowsy~but that wore off quickly. If you stay busy and moving~it works better. If you lay around the house~it will just make you sleepy. Hang in there~hope I helped some!
RR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 AM   #3
(female)

Derangea HB User

Yes that does help a little. I think I should just take a smaller dose to start out with of Ativan because I cant remember how it affected me last time. I'm just scared to get addicted to anything again. Withdrawal is so hard for me. It ruins me.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I agree with starting off smaller then what was perscribed to you start that way and see how it helps if ya need more increase some still need more increase again just dont go over what was perscribed of course.you made not need it 3 times a day I also think that is alot ,but at the same time that is just my opinion im not a doctor.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
(female)

Derangea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmomofive
I agree with starting off smaller then what was perscribed to you start that way and see how it helps if ya need more increase some still need more increase again just dont go over what was perscribed of course.you made not need it 3 times a day I also think that is alot ,but at the same time that is just my opinion im not a doctor.
You know what I think you're absolutely right, because I know my body and myself and my tolerance more than they do. Sometimes I wonder if pdocs just want to drug you up regardless of what may work for you in the long run. I'm gonna take it slow and see how I do. Thanks for your advice.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #6

puddykat3 HB User

i have a 1mg dosage of ativan. i take it as needed. never more than once a day and usually a few days apart. was on 0.5mg and that didn't do anything for me. i took two 1mg pills last week and it made me zone out so bad. i was so tired so i can't imagine taking it 3 times a day. works well though. when i talked to my doc he said if i end up starting to take it daily there are better meds out there without addiction worries and that work better. he said ativan is for a "as needed" basis mostly. good luck.
mandy

Old 08-26-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
(female)

Derangea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddykat3
i have a 1mg dosage of ativan. i take it as needed. never more than once a day and usually a few days apart. was on 0.5mg and that didn't do anything for me. i took two 1mg pills last week and it made me zone out so bad. i was so tired so i can't imagine taking it 3 times a day. works well though. when i talked to my doc he said if i end up starting to take it daily there are better meds out there without addiction worries and that work better. he said ativan is for a "as needed" basis mostly. good luck.
mandy
I shouldn't say this but I swear my doc is trying to get me killed I just wish I could get a hold of him more often. He's so hard to reach and get in to see.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:00 AM   #8
(female)

nangaroo HB User

A few years ago I switched from Klonopin to Ativan. I do know that one of the side effects of Klonopin is nervousness, and I was so nervous on it that I couldn't eat or sleep for months. Switching to Ativan was a good thing for me at the time. I had no side effects to speak of, and did not have a problem getting off of it during pregnancy. Now I've been back on Ativan for over a year and have wanted to wean off, but it didn't work out. I take 2 mg a day.

Closed Thread