It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 03:52 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User
Persistent Anxiety etc. and Lexapro

I don't know that Lexapro is doing me any good. But my dr. has increased my dosage from 10 to 20 to now 30. Does that increase really help? How does it affect dependence and eventual withdrawal? Does it really help with anxiety and worst case scenarior panic and all that? I really am reluctant to go to 30. I'm still taking some xanax until it kicks in. All this worrying etc. has caused my bp to spike, and it's immediately brought down to norm through xanax. I'm seeing a pychiatrist next week. But basically, what do all of you think of that high a dose of Lexapro?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User
Re: Persistent Anxiety etc. and Lexapro

30 mg is a high dose for Lexapro. I take 20.
My Dr. told me the Valume/xanax drugs metabololize too fast to be of long term help. What I do with permission from my Dr. is split my Lexapro.
I take a full Ten first thing in the Morning then take 5 at 11 and the other 2 around 2. This seems to get me through the day.
For me it has helped a great deal. Have you tried any other SRRI's?
I'm sure the more you take the longer the withdraw process. I can't answer that. I have only been on it since April and have no plans as stopping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Sometimes one SSRI might not work for everyone. How long have you been on it. It worker for me at one time but my latest bout of anxiety it didn't help. My psych switched me to Paxil cr 12.5. I have been on it for almost 2 weeks now and I am feeling a little more like myself. It is a searching game sometimes to find which med works best for yourself. If you have only been on it a short time give it time to work. If you feel you have been on it long enough with no change speak to your doctor about switching. My psych doctor switched from 20 mg of Lexapro to my new med in one day. I didn't have any adverse side effects from that. I don't know if that's the case with everyone but it went well for me.

I hope you feel better soon. debill

Old 08-26-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
(female)

awm38 HB User

I have been on Lexapro and several other A/D's over the past couple of years. I have stopped taking them suddenly and never had any problems with W/D's. But every body is different i guess. If you dont feel good about going to 30, then stay at 20. The most i ever took was 10 mg. a day, but that seemed to help me. Good luck

Old 08-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
(female)

kali23 HB User

30 does sound like a lot, but maybe that's what you need. On the other hand, not all anti-anxiety medicines work for everyone - perhaps there is a different one that would work better for you. I took Lexapro at the 20 dosage, and I had a huge problem with withdrawal effects. I was only on the medication for about 6 months, and it took me a solid month and a half to ween off of it.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Well, I stayed at 20 for today and the effects have finally kicked in, I think: 1. I'm not particularly anxious today AND 2. I'm still tired and unable to focus. But overall,
not bad, time for a nap. I'm Xanax free for the day, so it's the Lexapro talking, that's for sure. Maybe the next stage is the serotonin kicks in...

Old 08-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I have always gotten tired that week I up my dose but it passes.
Glad to hear you feel better!!

Old 08-26-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Glad to hear your feeling better. I hope tommorow brings good feeling also.

debill

Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Thanks for letting me know the tiredness passes. It better.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 PM   #10
(female)

Ksoup798 HB User

I started out on 5 mgs of lexapro, but now I am on 30. The boost from 20 to 30 really made the difference with my anxiety and depression. I am even considering going up to 40. The highest dose you can take is 50, so dont let people tell you that 30 is a lot. Some people only NEED 5, while others need a lot more. Its all how your body handles medication. It takes me 6 drinks to get drunk, while it takes some people 2, thats how I think of it lol. Best of luck!

Closed Thread