It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 06:16 AM   #1
(female)

Derangea HB User
Question Ativan - Your Experiences

Who all here is/has taken Ativan, how much do you take, how often, and what time of the day? Do you take any other meds with it?

Old 08-26-2005, 06:41 AM   #2
(female)

Amby HB User
Re: Ativan - Your Experiences

Sorry that this probably wont be of much help but i have taken it, was prescribed it twice in my life and both times it made me cry uncontrolably. that was the only real side affect that occurred and which also made me stop it both times.

i wish you luck.

i'm sorry i dont remember exactly how often i took it but i do know it was the lowest dose prescribed. and i was also on prozac at the time and took migraine meds.

good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I take 0.5mg Ativan on a as needed basis.I usualy end up taking it at night sometimes before bed so I can get to sleep easier.I have been having heart palps and skips etc they are still there but the Ativan helps me to not notice them as much and helps me to not worry over it or anything else and releases tention. I like it so far,but I still prefer klonopin which I used to take a few years ago.overall though Ativan serves its purpose for me
I also take 10 mg Lexapro every am which I started 3 days ago so I still have a while before it really kicks in.

Beth

Old 08-26-2005, 07:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

it sounded like I meant the ativan was causing my heart palps they are not these started before ativan wanted to clarify that .

Old 08-26-2005, 07:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I take .25mg - .50mg of ativan as needed. Lately it has been everyday. My Rx says I can take 1mg a day as needed (they are .50mg pills and I usually break them in half to see if that helps..if I need more, I take the other half). I also take .25mg of klonopin (started about 3 weeks ago) at bedtime, but will be asking to increase this at my appt next week.

I have taken ativan for many years. Have never had a problem with addiction to it. I can take it everyday for months..then not touch it for a year. I think it is a wonderful drug. And it doesnt make me nearly as tired as the klonopin. I have had no side effects really.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #6
(male)

nmlb HB User

My dr. just prescribed me it to take on an as needed basis. I am always full of anxiety and i have panic attacks espically in social situations and i have very noticable physical effects. I was a pallbearer at my grandmother's funeral yesterday so i took half a 1mg pill. It definitely helped me with no side effects but the next time i need it i think i am going to take the full pill. I have a lot of medical exams to be done on me over the next few months and i am going to need it before all of them.

Last edited by nmlb; 08-26-2005 at 09:58 AM.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #7
(female)

Derangea HB User

Thank you everyone, I think this is a drug that I need to take on an "as needed" basis because its going to take me two months to come down off of Klonopin and its not so much the anxiety thats getting to me, even though I have panic attacks alot, its depression. And alot of these antianxiety meds can induce depression which I had with the Klonopin. I think along with my mood stabilizer I need an antidepressant just to keep those "bad thoughts" from entering my brain.

All your input was so helpful If anyone else has some more information about it I would love to know. Thanks again.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Dearangea..I am having the same depression problem with the klonopin. I was on ativan first with lexapro. Lexapro didn't work but ativan made me feel better. I just recently started seeing a psch. doc and he switched me to paxil cr and klonopin. I can feel the paxil kicking in but I don' t like the klonopin. I need to take it for the anxiety I have all day but I feel it brings out depression.

Ativan didn't make me tired or depressed. I really hope it works out for you. I am going to ask at my next appt. to switch back to ativan.

Good luck...debill

Old 08-26-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
(female)

Derangea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debill
Dearangea..I am having the same depression problem with the klonopin. I was on ativan first with lexapro. Lexapro didn't work but ativan made me feel better. I just recently started seeing a psch. doc and he switched me to paxil cr and klonopin. I can feel the paxil kicking in but I don' t like the klonopin. I need to take it for the anxiety I have all day but I feel it brings out depression.

Ativan didn't make me tired or depressed. I really hope it works out for you. I am going to ask at my next appt. to switch back to ativan.

Good luck...debill
It feels alot better knowing I'm not the only one who experienced depression while on ativan. It was an all day depression/anxiety too. How often are you going to take the ativan?

Old 08-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Maybe I read wrong. I thought you had the depression with klonopin? Either way..I took ativan as an as needed basis. Up to 3 times a day. I usually only needed it twice. I am prescribed the klonopin .5 mg in the a.m. and 1 mg before bed. I have only been taking .25 in the a.m. and .5 before bed because of the depression I am having from it.

Ativan really worked great for me. I loved it. It didn't make me feel dopey and tired.

I hope it works just as well for you.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #11
(female)

Derangea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debill
Maybe I read wrong. I thought you had the depression with klonopin?
Oh woops, I did mean depression with the Klonopin, not Ativan. My bad

Old 08-27-2005, 03:53 AM   #12
(female)

Amby HB User

I have depression too and I think that is partly why Ativan had such a bad affect on me. I know take xanax as needed and sometimes I find that it makes me more depressed as well --- but never to the point that Ativan did, where I'd ball for hours at a time. So odd how it made me do that but apparently Benzos can bring you down like that, especially if you already suffer from a form of depression.

I wish you luck!

Old 08-27-2005, 08:42 AM   #13
(female)

_mishy HB User

ah. ativan really dident help me too much, but i just took it for emergancy cases, im on kolopin now, which helps.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:48 PM   #14
(male)

edz61 HB User

Ativan is a pretty good drug and is similar to Xanax. The difference is that Xanax kicks in faster and leaves your system faster too. They both work gr8 but beware you should not take them all the time as you will become dependent on them (highly addictive). I take them both here and there, Xanax works better if the attacks hits you out of the blue. Ativan is good for when you know you might get the attack but it's not quite there yet. They are very similar to each other though. I take them 2-3 times a week and the rest of the time I take 50 mg Benadryl to sleep better which helps reducing anxiety. My doctor suggested sleeping and eating better and it helped alot.
I hope this helps {REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-14-2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Posting e-mail addresses violates the posting rules. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Old 09-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #15
(male)

vielabob HB User

I was prescribed this drug (0.5mg 1 at bedtime) because I was having trouble sleeping due to my anxiety. I found it works well to slow my thoughts down, but I usually only take it once a week if that. Of course, I am worried about becoming addicted on it. The trouble is, after taking this at night, I get really depressed the next day. I don't know... could I take this 3 times a week without getting "hooked" on it?

Closed Thread