It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

Favoured HB User
fuzzy, heavy, lightheaded is this anxiety, inner ear or what?

Hi I am new to this website, i read some of the symptoms that people with inner ear and anxiety sufferers had and the symptoms seem to sound the same. my symptoms if any one could help me out are:
lightheadedness since January' 05
the vertigo type - i had one dizzy spell on aug. 9 and since then it has i think brought on worse sensations in my head, I guess from lack of sleep and heavy periods. It was awful, now when I put my head in certain positions it makes my head feel giddy and off balance.
heavy headed, pressure a the back of my head almost constantly
fullness in my left ear and left side of my head feels fuller than right side
headaches now and again
reading the different threads i found out i had ocd, this started when my cousin passed away from a heart attack, i thought i was going to have it too, obsessed about it and now it started into other intrusive thougths, that are quite uncomfortable at times, i dont know if this would contribute to anxiety.
i've had about 3 panic attacks hasnt happened since march this year
also now i feel like there is a lot of activity in my brain/head goes on like i can feel more things happening. not sure how to explain but feels like there is a lot going on. Sometimes I feel like I have clear times and other times it would feel like my eyes, front part of my head is busy i have to concentrate a little harder at times. i am functioning and all its just disturbing. i have to sit down when that happens. i thought i was going to lose my mind or something.
foggy brain, poor concentration at times, like i'm about to forget things but i never do forget...... just feels like it.
muscle twitches all over
shoulders hurt and sore
i have put on 15 lbs since this year, working out has been a problem as my head just feels really light, this has upset me too as i normally work out
for quite sometime i would wake up at 3:00 in the morning, i'm able to sleep now.
thank the Lord, without Him seriously i dont know how i could cope with all this.
saw an ent and a neurologist they said i am fine!!! blood work came out normal. tried herbal meds did not help i think it only made matters worse, i have coem off them as a result.
dr. put me on ativan at 1 mg one point didnt help me made things worse for me, didnt even use all of it.
i barely go out again, my folks think i've become anti social - i didnt tell them what has been happening to me, dont want them to worry
but the only time i would feel fine is when i lie down.
i just want my head to feel normal again...
hope i made sense.....

p.s. prior to this i have never had any anxiety, ocd issues before!!! i'm 28

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 06:52 AM   #2
(female)

moniqu1 HB User
Re: fuzzy, heavy, lightheaded is this anxiety, inner ear or what?

Hello and welcome! When I read your post, I thought of myself, because my anxiety and depression actually started a few years ago when I started having a lot of problems with fuzziness, dizziness, and the inability to concentrate like I used to. I found out I have allergies/sinus problems and also a condition called patulous eustachian tube which causes fullness in the ear. I've also had heart tests, brain scans, etc., and nothing has been positive. Believe me, the head stuffiness, dizziness & ear problems can definitely increase your anxiety levels. I have been on Lexapro, 20 mg. for about 6 months now and although I am not perfect, it allows me not to dwell on the physical problems I have. If I am dizzy, I just think, ok, it's time to just sit or lie down for a while. Also, I have xanax to take if things get really bad. Talk to your doctor or psych. and see what they think. Also, reading that I am not alone with my problems has also eased my mind. Good luck!!

Old 08-29-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

Favoured HB User

Hi Monique,
Thanks for the reply, I am glad to know I am not the only one going through this issue, Quick question though who diagnosed you with patulous eustachian tube. what can you take for it? does it ever go away? I would love to know as every test, ct scan, heart tests, blood work all came back normal. My dr. thinks its anxiety but can that cause the feeling of fullness in your head/ear??? as one side of my head/face/ear is fine. the thing is I am not into taking meds as they dont seem to help at all, I think I am super sensitive to them and they will only make feel worse than I really am, i was fine with the lightheaded feeling prior to the vertigo episode and me trying to take all that herbal stuff.
thanks again

Old 08-29-2005, 08:19 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

aslo HB User

Favoured,
I too am new at this, well sort of.. I have been ill for over a year, and it has basically ruined my life, but ill skip on...
Though you no doubt have anxiety, there are a couple of things you might try.
I had menieres, or labrynthitis, though they could see nothing in tests, in the past.
I had it for about 5 months. i would get the spins so bad, id get sick to my stomach, and wouldnt drive, or go anywhere, its no fun.
All tests on this were inconclusive. Even though i was taking antihistamines, decongestants, etc,, i found one trick that worked. And its safe enough to try.
I lay down with my head over the bed, and sniffed a dose of neosynepherine nose drops. I sniffed it back towards my ear, and kept sniffing it back. As i lay there for a few moments, i could feel some cracking going on, then viola, like someone through a switch, everything stabilized. My eye used to go out of focus with it as well, but as i lay there, all of a sudden the decongestant drops made something click, and my eye went in focus, and the vertigo stopped. That lasted for a day. The next day i had to repeat. Then about a week later, a couple of more drops etc. In this stupid way i was able to beat the dizziness. It seems it depressurized something in there, and it was more than a relief as you can imagine. It worth a try. Just the fact that i could control it a bit made me feel much better.
I also recommend seeing a chiropractor, and or a masseuse. Also calcium magnesium supplements in particular.
Muscle twitches, burning, tingles etc are very common in panic disorder. Once the biology is set in place, it stays there until corrected. Elevated histamines, cortisol, adrenaline. its a mess.
Try to do a lesser exercise on a reglar basis, even a few light things. Also deep breathing exercises, all this to counteract the biology. It will take time, so you cant give up. Try the nose drop trick and good luck.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I thought for a long time that my panic-associated dizziness was caused by an inner ear problem. I'd get checked and the doctor said my ears were fine. I also felt the fullness and crackling/popping in my ear. Still don't know what it is if my ears were clear. I agree nose drops could help, it's worth a try. Be careful, you can get dependent on them and then they cause other problems. Also, decongestants can exacerbate anxiety so I'd stop using them if this happens. If you didn't like Ativan, maybe you could try another Benzodiazepine like Xanax or Klonopin. They make you sleepy at first, before you get used to them. I usually break my Xanax in half and they work great for me when I need them. Most other people with our problem take a benzo medication, because it works the best.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
(female)

Favoured HB User

thanks for the reply guys, I will definately try the nosal spray and see how that works first.

Closed Thread