It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
(female)

mishkaaa HB User
had another attack tonight :(

i had a panic attack at the randomest time tonight.
i had work, then went out with some friends from work. we went out to dinner, and i felt kind of on-edge towards the end of the time beign at the restaurant. while we were driving in the car back to my friend's house, i had a panic attack. one side of my head went numb .. i could almost like feel it inside my head. i got very dizzy and a nauceous feeling. i felt like i couldn't open my jaw. i also became very shakey. i feel a little bit better, but weak. i'm guessing thats from shaking? i don't know, i'm just very worried. i couldnt' even spend the night at her house like i had planned.. i had to come home

my main question is, does anyone else deal with those symptoms? especially the numbness in the head, as well as the jaw deal.

thanks in advance.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:02 AM   #2
(female)

Amby HB User
Re: had another attack tonight :(

People can have different panic symptoms, like you can have that numb thing and it's "normal" for you but not me.. But just so happens that I get that numb on one side of the head thing too. I also get jaw pains and stiffness -- a doctor once told me that it is from being so very tense, that I am not aware of the fact that I am clenching and stressed when I feel the attack coming on, and then during the attack I'm REALLY stressing my body, my breathing changes (hence, the numbness in my brain, lol) etc. Now I don't know if he is right but I do know that my anxiety med helps this a lot (xanax) I take it on an as needed basisi. I sometimes have very very severe panic attacks whereas other times I am just very anxiety-ridden pretty much all day. So, some days I take a lot if it where as others I don't need it at all. I try very hard not to use it but there are those times where you have tricked yourself into thinking you are dying! Damn panic attacks... very sneaky and deceiving buggers.

Are you on any meds for this? Do you see a doctor? I get my meds from my primary care doc as seeing a therapist does nothing for me but make me more poor, lol, and a psychiatrist, well, ditto... I've had enough bad experiences with them in my life where I just couldn't stand it anymore, and broke down to my fam doc. Thankfully, he's very nice and knows me well and agreed to treat me.

I'm getting off subject aren't I? Sorry about that!

I know how you are feeling all too well and yes, those can be very normal symptoms of a panic attack. But as a health precaution -- Do you get migraines? How's your blood pressure? Not trying to make you nervous, lol, it's just that they always check mine when I complain about numbness in my head and facial pain...And you do not have TMJ? I do, and it makes the matter worse... You have to be very, very aware of yourself, always try not to tense up your face, keep your teeth seperated and try to stretch your mouth, like, almost facial exercises.

I hope I have helped but I feel like I have just babled on, lol.

Take care and know that you are not alone!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
(female)

mishkaaa HB User

it's good to know that i am not alone in this. a few months ago i had tmj, and i definitely noticed that i clench my jaw basically all the time now, because my teeth hurt, and i find it hard to open my mouth wide.

i was at a work meeting this morning, and i had to leave because i had an attack. i started shaking and my head went numb. so scary im just so sick of this. i don't have high blood pressure though.

anyway, i'm not on any meds right now, as these panic attacks and anxiety to this degree are fairly new and just started kicking in this week. my mom is going to check out a pysch on thursday .. they need to get my history from my mom before i go. so that'll be starting soon, and i'm getting bloodwork and an mri later this week.

thanks so much for your support

Old 08-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #4
(female)

_mishy HB User

mish you are so not alone, im here to talk anytime.
- <3

Old 08-27-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
(female)

mishkaaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mishy
mish you are so not alone, im here to talk anytime.
- <3
thanks .. i appreciate it.
is your name michelle by any chance? haha

anyway .. i can't deal with these symptoms anymore i cant wait to get bloodwork/mri/&go to a pysch. i just need to be like.. anxiety free. like most of the people on this board of course

Old 08-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to mishkaa

get a supply of any valium type meds and carry a few tablets with you at all times
when a panic attack starts, disolve a tablet under the tongue, klonapin wafers, if available in your area, are especially designed for panic attacks

when panicky, dont tense up or fight back, instead try to relax and breathe deep and slow, avoid holding your breath and avoid rapid shallow panting
a football mouthguard worn when asleep helps with TMJ
a psych is of doubtful benefit and will probably insist on an antidepressant med and may refuse any valium

Old 08-27-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
(female)

mishkaaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
a psych is of doubtful benefit and will probably insist on an antidepressant med and may refuse any valium
really? you don't think a pysch will be beneficial to me?

Old 08-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
(female)

mishkaaa HB User

just bumping this up.

Closed Thread