It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2005, 07:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User
anyone ever go to a support group?

i just found out there is a free local support group in my area for people with anxiety/panic.. i am thinking about going but i am not sure what to expect.. has anyone been to something like this? and if so could you tell me a little about how it was run? i keep thinking its gonna be like a AA meeting or something..

Old 08-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: anyone ever go to a support group?

Well from my experiance the way a support group is run has a lot to do with who runs it.
I went to one that was run by a Hospital and a P'Doc they were very pro SSRI's along with therapy and attending support group meetings to deal with anxiety issues.
I had tried SSRI's in the past and couldn't tolorate them.
A Benzo was the only thing that helped me.
I only went to two meetings, they did let you talk...which is really all I wanted, but after you'd talk they would always say, you need to be on an SSRI or you'll never get over this.
Maybe that's true for some people, but it wasn't true for me.
I didn't want someone telling me what I SHOULD do I wanted support.

I found another group that was run by former suffers...I LOVED it, nobody told you what to do, they just let you talk and share your story.
Yes, people talked about what had worked for them but there was never any pressure to get on a certain drug or get off of a certain drug it was just so wonderful to talk to other people who where like me.

That group was several miles from my home, so I friend of mine and I started our own support group.
When we started it, she no longer had anxiety problems but I still did.
We run it the same way as the group that was run by the other former sufferes.

I don't have anxiety problems anymore, but still go to the meetings.
It does my heart good when a new member comes and says "I feel this, or I feel that and I think I'm the only one." and then someone speaks up and says, "No you're not the only one, I've felt the same thing."
It's just one big gab session.
Nobody tells anyone what they should do, they just support each other and most of the time that's all they wanted in the first place, was to know that someone else feels like they do.

My suggestion to you would be to go to the support group, it can't hurt and if you don't like it or feel pressured to change your medication...if you're on medication...or start medication if that's not something you want to do then you don't have to go back.
If all that group does is just let you talk and get your feelings out and know that you're not the only one who suffers, it will probably a great comfort to you...at least it was for me.

Hope that helped a little...Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

main reason i wanted to go was just to share my story with others.. like you i already know what works and what dosent work for me in the way of Meds and no one is gonna tell me otherwise.. i just think if it is like the one group you mentioned and we can all just sit around and talk... it will be exactly what i am looking for..

i dont want to have someone telling me what I "SHOULD" do because i have tried what everyone has said i should do over the past 10-11yrs and it never worked so i had to come up with my own system.. i just hope its a laid back setting because that would be great but meh ill find out soon enough i guess.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Let us know how it goes.
I'm with you, I didn't want someone else to tell me what to do I just wanted to talk to other people who could understand what I meant if I said "Sometimes I don't feel real."
It was so helpful to have someone else chime in and say "Yeah, I've had that feeling"...instead of saying that to someone and having them look at me like I had three heads

I hope that it's the kind of support group that you're looking for and that you get as much comfort from talking to them as I did.

Old 08-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

When I was just recently an inpatient the group meeting we had helped me so much. We were all having anxiety/depression for different reasons but we all felt the same way inside.

It was nice having a few shoulders to cry on that truly understood how terrible it is to feel this way. I don't miss the hospital but I really miss the people I leaned on for support.

Give it a shot. It might be great for you.

Closed Thread