It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
(female)

camtorres15 HB User
Unhappy How do I find a support group in my city??

Hi...I'm not quite sure how to go about finding a support group to deal with my anxiety. I've been suffering from it for about 7 years now and just last week started taking Xanax. I had a horrible anxiety attack and I needed something to calm me down. I really want to try and cope with this without medication, and I think talking about it would help me a lot. I am not sure what 'type' of anxiety I have, I just know that I worry about EVERYTHING and it's so frustrating. I get the fluttering heart and then I worry about that and it is just a vicious cycle. Some days I am just great and then I start thinking to myself, hey, I haven't had any problems today and then boom, it starts again. I am married, have 2 small children, a job, and I pretty much take care of everything in the house--bills, laundry, grocery shopping, etc. Sometimes I think I just get overwhelmed by it all. Not sure how to get my hubby to help me out more. I've been doing it all for so long (been married 10 years) and I think he's used to it. Ugh. See why I need to vent in a group? LOL. If anyone has some advice on how to find a group I would sure appreciate it. Thanks for listening. This board is so awesome.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Re: How do I find a support group in my city??

Well, you can check{REMOVED}for groups in your area. Unfortunatly, there are none in my area, so I am trying to develop one. I put an ad in the local paper, but have had not one response!! I live in a town with 85k ppl, so I know there are ppl around here that could benefit from a group. I will keep trying. Good luck to you..I know this anxiety sucks big time and I refuse to let it destroy me!!

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-28-2005 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Please don't post links to websites that have goods or services for sale. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtorres15
I am married, have 2 small children, a job, and I pretty much take care of everything in the house--bills, laundry, grocery shopping, etc. Sometimes I think I just get overwhelmed by it all. Not sure how to get my hubby to help me out more. I've been doing it all for so long (been married 10 years) and I think he's used to it.

camtorres15:

You sound exactly like me when my panic/anxiety started. I eventually had a nervous breakdown, walked out on my job, and didn't (or couldn't) get off the couch for a month. This happened nine years ago and I haven't worked outside the house since then. My husband has been a great moral support and we've been lucky he's been able to financially support us on his own. I know that isn't possible for everyone, and believe me, we just scrape by. I feel guilty that I don't contribute financially, but I try to be the best housewife/stay-at-home mom I can be.

Anyway, I would start looking for support groups by asking my doctor or his staff. Then I'd look for a psychotherapist that specializes in anxiety disorders and ask if they do group counseling. I'd also do an internet search for your area. I would also try to reduce your work load in any area you can, like having your hubby help with laundry, cooking, or taking over paying the bills. You should also have a long talk with him about your anxiety and how you need his support because in my experience, it will get worse if you try to shoulder this alone.

My heart goes out to you.

-SRMom

Last edited by SRMom; 08-28-2005 at 09:11 AM.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Hi, camtorres15

Look in the "Blue Pages" of your phone book in the "Guide to Human Services" section.
Under "Mental Health" you'll find a listing for the mental health services in your area.
If there aren't any support groups listed you can call one of the other listed services and ask if they know of any support groups in your area.
That's how I found the ones that I attended.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

{REMOVED} Anyway, there is a national organization that deals specifically with anxiety disorderes. Do a search on google and you should find it. I dont know what info I can give and what I cant. Anyway, on there site you can search for groups in your area.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-28-2005 at 10:19 AM. Reason: The reason for editing the other post is given below that post. Re-read the posting rules to find out what you can and can't post. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Closed Thread