It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

nervousnight HB User
Breathing Issues

Hi everyone - I've always had breathing issues with my anxiety for the past 20 years - just wondering if anyone else had the same kinds of sensations. It's not like I'm gasping for air but I concentrate on my breathing so much that sometimes it feels like I'm breathing slowly or the breathing just doesn't happen naturally or it feels like I'm going to stop breathing, which really scares me- do you know what I mean? I also have the smothering sensations - I hate those! I've had an EKG and chest x-rays, which come back normal, I just hate these feelings of not being able to breathe naturally.

If you have similar experiences, I'd love to hear them - thanks.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Re: Breathing Issues

Id say the first and biggest physical sensation I feel during a panic attack (or with severe anxiety) is the feeling of tightness in the throat. It feels like there is a tight noose around my neck or like there is a ball in there. When I try to relax I can see that I am breathing, not having difficulties..but I do feel sometimes like it is forced..like I am having to consciously breath or something. Its hard to explain. Very strange. It truly sucks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
(female)

ezraa HB User

When I get nervous I start to breath harder. Then I think that everyone can hear me breathing so I hold my breath and then when I try to breath, I can't. I concentrate on it alot and I feels like I am not able to breath regularally.

Old 08-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

When I have panic attacks, I realize that I am basically holding my breath and clenching all my muscles so tight I feel like I can't move or breathe. Then I feel like I might have a heart attack because my chest hurts and my left arm gets tingly and numb. Then I have to make a conscious effort to try to breathe evenly, and relax my shoulders, hands, arms, etc. If I can't do it alone, I take my Xanax. I hate it too.

Last edited by SRMom; 08-28-2005 at 03:31 PM.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:47 AM   #5

bladebeam HB User

I have had the breathing issues for a year or so now.Most days especially when driving. Its a horrible experience. I guess as long as it scares me it will still be there. I find myself blowing air out hard to make sure I can still breathe properly and that my lungs are working. Stupid I know but scary.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

I find that sometimes i concentrate to much on breathing, then feel like im breathing out when i should be breathing in - then it all goes haywire and i feel like no air is getting into my lungs at all. then the chest pain starts and i cant swallow cause it feels like something is stuck in my throat.Your not alone with this horrible feeling.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I catch myself breathing weak and shallow all the time lord only knows how long ive been doing it by the time I notice.Its like im taking short quick breathes and dont even know it.I have started practicing a few times a day for a couple minutes breathing in real deep ,making sure my chest and stomach rise and letting it out slow.I of course breath that weak and shallow way during anxiety attacks too......someone mentioned when driving I have it when driving sometimes too and other times.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
(female)

nervousnight HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsalou
I find that sometimes i concentrate to much on breathing, then feel like im breathing out when i should be breathing in - then it all goes haywire and i feel like no air is getting into my lungs at all. then the chest pain starts and i cant swallow cause it feels like something is stuck in my throat.Your not alone with this horrible feeling.
Thank you so much for your reply - It makes me feel better that I'm not alone with this problem. I too have been having the chest pain - it drives me absolutely crazy! I just started taking Buspar again - hopefully the Buspar will make me feel better (crossing my fingers).

Old 09-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

Hope the buspar works. sometimes i find it helps to just get up and try doing something to occupy my mind other than thinkin about breathing (phone a friend, or log on this site), i know how hard it is though cause it does seem to suddenly creep back up, but hey your not alone and certainly not crazy, i try to rationalize with myself often. Ive tried relaxation and deep breathing techiques but i find it makes me worse cause i focus even more on my breathing they its back to square one. Post back whenever you need to and we can suffer together (lol). Im crossing fingers and toes for you.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmomofive
I catch myself breathing weak and shallow all the time lord only knows how long ive been doing it by the time I notice.Its like im taking short quick breathes and dont even know it.I have started practicing a few times a day for a couple minutes breathing in real deep ,making sure my chest and stomach rise and letting it out slow.I of course breath that weak and shallow way during anxiety attacks too......someone mentioned when driving I have it when driving sometimes too and other times.
I have now found that driving REALLY does trigger my breathing issues (i once stopped my car at a major junction and ran for home, put on hazzard lights and legged it, people must ive thought i was REALLY crazy. Im fine if im contstantly moving, but juctions, roundabouts, traffic lights etc make me freak. So if you see an abandoned vehicle and a woman running like hell whilst trying to breathe - its just silly old me.

Closed Thread