It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 06:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Some questions about Atenolol (based on earlier thread)

I recently began suffering from severe palpitations (PVC's & PAC's). Had all kinds of tests & they found nothing wrong with my heart.

These palps cause frantic panic attacks for me; I've gone to the ER, etc.

The doctor suggested 25 mg. Atenolol. But I'm paranoid to take it because I already have fairly low BP (average 105/65). On the flip side, I have heard that it can really help with the palpitations (and therefore, the anxiety & panic that comes with).

I recently tried Lexapro for the anxiety but had a terrible reaction to it.

I'd really be grateful for any further info about atenolol.

Thank you very much

The following user gives a hug of support to zosolizard:
mommymorey (09-01-2011)
Old 08-29-2005, 06:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Re: Some questions about Atenolol (based on earlier thread)

I am assuming your Dr knows about your BP..and he/she seems to think it will be ok..I would trust that. I have low BP too (usually 100/60 - 110/70 in the Dr office) and I take propranolol. Just make sure to drink alot of water.

The Following User Says Thank You to missy101 For This Useful Post:
mommymorey (09-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

nangaroo HB User

I am in the same boat as you. I have also been prescribed 25 mg of atenolol, several weeks ago and can't get up the nerve to try it. I am medphobic mainly due to experiencing nearly 30 side effects from Zoloft 4 years ago. It was an experience that changed my life and has left me afraid to take even an antibiotic when I need it. On the other hand, I had a terrible episode of SVT 2 years ago and then another about a year ago, and I worry constantly about having it again. I also have tons of PVCs, some that are quite scary, and I can't seem to get much done for being afraid of my heart going wild. Any excitement fear or exertion sends my heart rate up, as it should, but I get scared and it gets even faster and I start to panic. I plan to try the atenolol today. Yes, I'm scared, but I need to do something.

Last edited by nangaroo; 08-29-2005 at 06:54 AM.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Thank you, both of you, for replying so quickly.

Nangaroo, I experience so much of what you mentioned. I am deathly afraid to try another anti-anxiety med after the Lexapro episode, which was just a couple of days ago. Which leaves me even MORE afraid of the atenolol (or any other new med, for that matter).

The PAC's & PVC's practically paralyze me sometimes - I don't even want to make plans to travel anymore or other fun things that I used to enjoy.

But I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this, and really want to get up the nerve to try the atenolol. I've had 3 doctors tell me that it will probably help me - yet, I'm paranoid.

Well, hopefully we can just do it, and have great results! If I do try it - I will definitely post.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I wanted to say something else. I take a fairly large dose of propranolol...120mg a day (4 times thru out the day). But I still get some PVCs. I am coming to grips with the fact that nothing will completely eliminate them. I have changed my lifestyle to avoid them..no caffiene (except the occasional choclate which i refuse to give up!! )no decongestants, no smoking, rarely drink...but I still get them at least once a day, usually more. Tho it is not half as bad as it was. I was getting to the point where it was greatly effecting my life..very negativly. I fear doing many things. I went to a water park last week and was terrified of going on a big water slide because I thought my HR would get too high and I could die...i dont even watch scary movies anymore. I - WE - need to get out of this funk. I have been told these arent dangerous and I need to give up my control and just trust. Its so hard, I know. For some reason this crappy problem was thrown into our lives. We have to deal with it and not let it beat us down!!

The following user gives a hug of support to missy101:
mommymorey (09-01-2011)
Old 08-29-2005, 08:07 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

I couldn't agree with you more - we do need to find a way to live our lives & not let this crap control us. It's so frustrating.

Like you, I gave up coffee (which I love!), any stimulants, artificial sweeteners, etc.

What's strange is - I was a smoker for 20 years (started in my early teens) and I quit smoking in May, 2005. 1 month later, the severe palpitations began! how crazy is that??! I'm trying to convince myself that my body just went into shock from quitting smoking - but on the flip side, I'm convinced that the cigarettes/poisons were just masking a heart condition. Even though I've had all of those tests, I still think they missed something.

Sigh! Well, I am glad your medication has helped somewhat, that's great news. I wish we could all find something to just make it GO AWAY.

But I'm glad I found you guys - it's comforting to know that I am not alone and maybe together we can all find a way to beat this.

The following user gives a hug of support to zosolizard:
mommymorey (09-01-2011)
Old 08-29-2005, 08:15 AM   #7
(female)

tomah HB User

I have been on .50mg of atenolol for about 4 years for PVC's and PAC's. I, too, had low blood pressure - but I seemed to do okay on it. It does/did help - doesn't get rid of all of them, but does cut down on how many I feel. I had an episode 2 weeks ago of severe PVC's and ended up in the ER. I followed up with an internist, and he switched me to Toprol. He claims it stays in the system longer. So far, I have been doing well, but have also started on Zoloft. I am like you, those PVC's were ruining my life - I got so obsessed with them - and was afraid I was going to die at any moment!!! I have had all the heart tests, and everything comes out normal. Unfortunately, my 49 yo husband had a heart attack in Decemeber, and that really brought my heart anxiety to a head. He is fine, had a couple of stents put in, and no heart damage - but now I do find myself worrying constantly that I will have a heart attack. Hopefully, the Zoloft will help. Good luck - it is nice to hear that other people are going through this, and we're not alone!

Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Wow, there are more & more of us suffering through these same things.

I really hope the Zoloft helps you. I did try Lexapro but it made things worse, bad enough for me to stop it after 3 days; so hopefully I can try something else.. who knows, my doctor may want to try Zoloft next for me.

I guess I will probably give the Atenolol a try; anything to feel better would be such a blessing. I hate feeling like this - nobody understands, unless they have this problem.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
(female)

tinker33 HB User

I wanted to say that is has been great to read all the info on this thread. I recently take 50mg a day of Atenolol. I was on another different med before this, but this is great for me, although I still can feel the pounding kind of heavy it is better than it was. Much better! The Dr. said that sometimes some people are just prone to feeling the heart beat more than others.. The funny thing to me in reading your comments is
I wasn't afaid of the heart meds, but I am petrified of taking the anti-depressants. I actually just started zoloft today so please keep me in your prayers. I tried Paxil a few weeks ago and I thought I was loosing my mind. Then the Dr. wanted me to try the Effexor, but after I researched all of them it seemed the zoloft was the best and the least side effects. All I know is I just would love to feel like myself again. Hope your all doing well.. God Bless

Closed Thread