It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

mayansun HB User
Health Anxiety- Precipitated by?

I've noticed a number of folks here share my health anxiety and I'm wondering a couple of things. Mine manifested last year when I began to have worsening headaches and unexplained dizziness, for a time I had convinced myself I had MS and that something was really wrong, finally my doctor ordered an MRI and an incidental finding of a unruptured brain aneurysm was found. Since had surgery and have healed from that.

Have not healed from the shock and such, still deep down fear something is wrong with me (heart, head etc).

Just wondering:

a) was your health anxiety brought on by experience with illness, surgery or other traumatic health event?

I've tried therapy and medication and was good for a bit but have had a recent bout of anxiety and symptoms and am now looking into cognitive behavioral therapy and or biofeedback.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Re: Health Anxiety- Precipitated by?

Hi, this is a good topic, I am curious to read everyone's response.

Mine was brought on by heart palpitations, which started after I quit smoking (go figure!) I've always suffered from mild anxiety & panic attacks, but nothing quite like this.

I'm exploring all of my options - SSRI's, Xanax (helps alot), Beta Blockers, Therapy, Hormones... phew.

I just want to feel better. I worry that I am going into heart failure every day, and it just stinks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I have had anxiety for a long time, but I feel the 'health anxiety' which is fairly new (2 years) was brought on by an SVT episode and reoccuring PVCs.

I am such a loon that your post freaked me out. As I type this, I am sitting here waiting for the Dr to call with my MRI results. I was have lightheadedness and headaches and had an MRI last wednesday. I am HOPING that if it were a clot (anyurism, etc) that they would have called by now..dontcha think???

Anyway...I totally hear ya. Same boat. It really sucks. Were they able to tell you why you may have had that clot? Does it just happen for no reason at all? Are there precautions you can take?

Last edited by missy101; 08-29-2005 at 10:24 AM.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
(female)

littlen2005 HB User

hi mayansun,

you asked "a) was your health anxiety brought on by experience with illness, surgery or other traumatic health event?"

and my answer to that is yes. i have been having bad anxeity and lots of panic attacks for the last 3 years and it all started when, in august of 3 years ago, i had to have a massive mole removed from my back, it all went ok, but a few days later it got badly infected and i had to go back to the doctors and the stitches burst open an the nurse was trying to clean it all up, when all of a sudden i fainted.

and that is it. ever since then, i have had panic attacks.....

i have every symptom there is and im on beta blockers. was on prozac for a while, but then my doc said it was wrong as i am only 18. i have been feeling real bad though all summer and my doctor doesnt want me to go on any other medication.

good luck to you.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
(female)

mayansun HB User

CHeers44~

An aneurysm isn't a clot, it is the balooning of an artery. I didn't mean to frighten anyone with the post and I was assured the headaches and dizzines (which I still have) were totally unrelated to the aneurysm--and if they believe something to be wrong they will call (I had the MRI at 11am and had a call at 6pm that evening). But if you are concerned, call your doctor and ask for the results.

There are no precautions against aneurysms (though high blood pressure and smoking aren't good for the arteries). I do still worry about my head and hope all my hardware is safe for 50 plus years!

Old 08-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayansun
CHeers44~

An aneurysm isn't a clot, it is the balooning of an artery. I didn't mean to frighten anyone with the post and I was assured the headaches and dizzines (which I still have) were totally unrelated to the aneurysm--and if they believe something to be wrong they will call (I had the MRI at 11am and had a call at 6pm that evening). But if you are concerned, call your doctor and ask for the results.

There are no precautions against aneurysms (though high blood pressure and smoking aren't good for the arteries). I do still worry about my head and hope all my hardware is safe for 50 plus years!
Oh I didnt know that. Not that that sounds any better lol!! And dont worry about freaking me out..that happens to me all the time. I mean look at tv..there is a commercial every five minutes about health risks, prescriptions, heart scans...tons of stuff to scare me!!

Old 08-29-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I am not sure what started the health anxiety. It got really bad about two years ago and lets up some but then comes back with a vengence.

If I look back, I think that it started in my 20s. I am now in my late 50s. At that time, it would just rear its head for short periods of time. Lately, the anxiety has been almost continuous.

I suffer from dizzy spells, lightheadedness, frequent urination, sweating, knots in my stomach, etc. Of course, those symptoms bring on the fear of many diseases. Eventually, the fear subsides and another one takes its place.

I wonder what it feels like to be peaceful. I long for those days again.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Hello. Mine started about 9 years ago. I had tons of strange symptoms that no one could figure out. Then about 3 years ago they said probable MS and was treated with steroids. They made me feel better. Then another neuro said he didn't think MS could be lyme disease. I have some positive findings on lyme testing but not enough to be treated. So here I hang in limbo just waiting for some answers. So besides feeling poor physically I am now battling my emotions which is worse than the other stuff.

I am constantly worried. All day long. Can't stop wondering what I have and if I will ever get the proper treatment. I have never had anxiety as bad as I have had in the last month.

So..that's how mine all started. I blame it on inconsiderte doctors who don't care about us when we leave their office.

deb

Old 08-29-2005, 12:14 PM   #9
Veteran

Comptons HB User

Mine all started with a panic attack - and the rest is history. I was certain there must have been some medical cause for the panic attack and kept on and on trying to find it. Still trying 10+ years later.... I broke up with bf of 8 years, lost 20 pounds (down to 93 pounds) in less than a month and just basically screwed up my wiring (my theory anyway). The stress of it all just started the panic/anxiety cycle in me and I've been battling it every since.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I can remember having anxiety attacks here and there as a little girl over things.I had a not so good childhood.Although, I am not sure I had "anxiety disorder" back then.
I think it all started after I fainted with seizure activity back 11 years ago.Then came all the anxiety symptoms almost any symptoms you could name I have had.All said to be anxiety and stress even the fainting.
It hit me again about a month ago and I now back on meds and starting to do a bit better .

Old 08-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
(female)

bocana HB User

I'm going thru an awful cycle right now; upper left pain yesterday; lower addominal pain last week; and a weird eye twitching right now! Don't know why I am feeling all this as I am not super stressed right now. And I am responding to each of these symptoms with extreme anxiety.

I know this will pass. Or I should say I HOPE it will pass! (as my eye is twitching away!)

Closed Thread