It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 11:22 AM   #1

MKLowTone HB User
Anxiety worse in the heat?

I just want to know if it's just me that finds I really can't handle the heat. When it's hot (and especially when it's humid) I start to feel like I can't breathe properly and that my body is straining to work at all

I can't relax properly when it's nice outside (I don't mean when it's 30 degrees but even 24/25 is too hot)

It wasn't always this way - I walked the Great Wall of China in 42 degree heat and 90% humidity but ever since I started getting anxiety (and occasionally panic attacks, though they are much more mild and less often these days ) the heat really gets to me

My heart gets faster and my veins pop out (especially on my hands) and my face goes red - but I don't sweat at all. I might get a bit sticky but everywhere around me I see people sweating and there's me just red-faced and on the verge of gasping for air

Is this at all common with other anxiety sufferers?

Old 08-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Anxiety worse in the heat?

most anxiety sufferers are worse in heat and humidity, a beta blocker med such as inderal helps on hot days
get checked out by doc as anxiety sufferers arent immune toi other illnesses

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

I can't speak for anyone else, but I experience a lot of what you just mentioned. The heat makes me dizzy, red, and my heart pounds.

I always figured it was because I do NOT perspire, ever. I have some strange problem & my body will not cool itself off.

So - I just make sure I stay cool & comfortable.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #4

MKLowTone HB User

Yeah staying cool and comfortable isn't so easy when any heat seems to make me feel like crap - but it's good to know I'm not the only one feeling like this

Old 08-29-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
(female)

MrsPM HB User

I'm glad to know I'm not alone.
I used to be able to tolerate the heat up 'til about age 19; I'm now 29. My heart begins to race and I feel extremely, uncomfortably hot. If it gets over 75-80 degrees (or 25 degrees celsius) I become very uncomfortable. And I also don't sweat. It's the strangest thing. My skin remains very hot. I wish I could sweat to cool me down, but it doesn't work that way for me

Old 08-30-2005, 03:06 AM   #6

MKLowTone HB User

One thing I was told today is to check my temperature when I feel like that - if there is actually a problem with my body not cooling itself down properly then my core temp will be higher than normal - if not then it's probably more of a anxiety thing than a heat intolerance thing (ie we feel the heat and associate it with a feeling of anxiety and thus our body responds to the feelings of anxiety rather than the heat)

Hope that made sense

Closed Thread