It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

Derangea HB User
Unhappy On My Own, Scared To Death

I'm now in a new city, new place, away from everyone I know, for the first time. Tomorrow I start school and work. I wake up balling my eyes out because as soon as I wake up I feel so awful. DREAD. I need support because I dont on campus I cant find out anything, I'm gonna have to see whats all available. I just dont want to screw things up when my parents invested so much in my apartment and school.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran

Comptons HB User
Re: On My Own, Scared To Death

I don't know where you are, but when I was in school - there was free counseling which helped tremendously. It also helps to talk to your professors and let them know you are battling some anxiety issues. I did this and it took the pressure off. I could joke with my profs who would say "okay, you're not gonna pass out on us today are you?" And then on test days the girls next to me would say "she's gonna need to go to the ER and I'll driver her..." to get out of taking tests. Anyway, it may sound silly, but it sure worked for me to lighten the mood and take the pressure off of being the perfect student. There should be plenty of resources available to you and I urge you to use them. Good luck and hang in there...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

You may not believe this...but MAN do I envy you!! You have the world at your feet my friend. So much opportunity..so much life to live. College alone is such a privelage..and to have an apartment besides..at your age. Oh, man. What I wouldnt give to have had that opportunity. You will work out these issues. All colleges have health care on campus. Whether it be with meds or counsling..you will work it out and you are going to have a blast!!

Old 08-29-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

Derangea HB User

COMPTONS - I going to Penn State at the New Kensington Campus. Its a branch campus so they only offer so much. I've been trying to get a hold of people to figure out if there are support groups I could attend or anything, but so far no good. I'll figure it out eventually. Its such a huge adjustment for me. And I'm sure there's people here having the same problems I have, I just wish they had a group or something. Thanks for the kind words and my professors seem to be understanding so I'm hoping to get at least a good start. Thanks Again.

CHEERS44 - I know, believe me, I dont take any of this for granted. I have two older sisters that had to go through hell when they went to college just to make ends meet. But they were tough. I'm the weak one so my parents want to help me out as much as they can. And I love them for it. They've been so great and understanding. I'm in my senior year in college but this is my first year away from home. I spent 3 years in college so far, didn't make one friend. But I did meet my boyfriend. Who is back at home, and I miss him. I'll keep checking back on the boards to keep everyone up to date and just preserve this support ring online.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
(female)

Derangea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefit
What are your intrests? What are you majoring in? What will be your occupation? Alot about being afraid, but not anything about what you have spent your last 3 years doing and studying? You must be doing pretty good to make it this far!
You will be fine, sounds like you are having to grow up, and this can be quite a trial, but you'll come out of it better than ever. Try not to worry, it's a challenge, but this is how you grow up, by going thru things, and actually making it thru them! Good job! This is really good for you.
Yeah, I feel like I really haven't grown up yet. And living away from my parents I feel kind of vulnerable because I'm always so damn insecure. So now I have to worry about alot more finances. After I graduated highschool, I had to take a year off because I had a total emotional nervous breakdown after I broke up with my boyfriend. Then I started out as a business major at a branch campus close to home so I could commute. Then after the first year I switched my major to IST and wanted to just get an associates, but my dad hated that idea and wanted me to get my 4 year degree. But I hated IST even though I was good in it. So I changed my major to Communications because what I really want to do is go to the Recording Workshop in Columbus Ohio to learn music recording and get a job in that field, maybe even do my own stuff. But them problem is getting there. I know what I want to do, but I need this degree because it will help alot. But when I think that far ahead I just get so much anxiety because I dont think I'll be able to handle all the moving around. I've had problems adjusting to new things my whole life. Its hard enough I just wish I didn't have this damn dread all the time. Plus I have a boyfriend back at home that I have an obvious addiction to and I miss him so much and am afraid that he'll leave me and forget about me even though I'll be seeing him on the weekends but I'm so afraid he'll lose interest or meet someone else that IS there. I dont know, I'm just rambling now I guess. Thank you though for your encouragement!

Closed Thread