It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
(female)

want_an_angel HB User
Scared of Meds(Lexapro)

I have just been prescribed lexapro starting today on 5mg for a week then see how it goes. My problem is you read so much on here and hear so much about the effects of medication i am so worried of the effects. Scared also about coming off when the time is right . Any advice would be appreciated .
Thanks in Advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: Scared of Meds(Lexapro)

Hi Want An Angel,

You should not be afraid of using/or trying Lexapro. It will either work for you or not. You do need to try it for 6 - 8 weeks, to really see if it will work. Most people are prescribed something to use on really stressful days - until the Lexapro takes total effect.

Some people, may never get off Lexapro, it works for them and they like the results it gives. From what I have read on the board, you just have to wean off very slowly.

Hope you feel better. Take care. Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
(female)

want_an_angel HB User

To Be Free To Roam
Thanks heaps for your advice and yes i will give it a go and if i do all the right things i should hopefully be alright, already on my first day i feel a lot calmer and thinking straighter hopefully i got this anxiety thing before it got to far (fingers crossed).

Old 08-30-2005, 07:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Hi,
Try not to be afraid. Everyone reacts to meds differently, and some people will have bad reactions, and some will have fantastic results!
Your doctor is starting you on 5mg, which is safe & smart. This way you can see how you react to it.

I personally had a bad time with Lexapro, but I knew it within 3 days & simply stopped taking it (and had no problems after I stopped). So rest assured that you can just stop taking it if you don't like it

Good luck to you, I hope it really helps you.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
(male)

teek30 HB User

Realize that part of the reason you are "scared" to try Lexapro is from the anxiety you are actually trying to correct. Let the meds work, try and relax and realize there is nothing permanent here, just try to help yourself. If it doesnt work, it doesnt work-you will continue on.

Closed Thread