It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
(female)

shysoul HB User
Severe Social Anxiety.

I was just wondering what kind of anxiety people have and if some are suffering from social anxiety and what are there experiences. I have had it since i was 15. Its got worse since then. I don't even communicate with anyone really but my family and like 2 others. If i go out in public im so afraid of having a conversation with other people. Im actually thinking can i take this anymore?

please just share your experiences with social anxiety and how bad do you have it?

i just wanna know stories from others out there like me.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Paxilhead HB User
Re: Severe Social Anxiety.

You would have better luck researching websites that deal in Social Phobia..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
(female)

jen52683 HB User

Hi there!

When I was younger, I was EXTREMELY shy and had low self esteem but I came out of that in high school and I was completely opposite, really outgoing. However, I have really backtracked and now I fear even calling doctors for appointments or talking with my in-laws. I can't explain why I've regressed so much but it is so frustrating. I would like to go talk to a doctor about it but I just wouldn't be able to. The only person I am comfortable talking to is my husband or people by e-mail. I started working from home which probably isn't good because now I really isolate myself.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

The more we stay isolated, the worse it gets. I think if I force myself to do things, many times I am glad I did and end up enjoying myself. I have to "psych up" myself before I go out sometimes. I tell myself to remember to smile at other people, force myself to say nice things, and ususally it pays off with people being nice to me and I feel more comfortable. New places and people are a real source of anxiety for me, but I keep going, because I don't want to let this beat me.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 PM   #5
(female)

Tynel HB User

I have really bad social anxiety. I have a very hard time looking at people in the eye. If I'm talking to someone who I'm uncomfortable with (which is everyone other than my husband and family) I will usually start my own thought pattern in my head (such as, what are they thinking, are they thinking I'm stupid, are they just trying to nod and say 'uh huh' to get out of the conversation, am I boring, etc etc) that I will usually forget what I was saying, or I will just be able to spit it out in bits and pieces.

I have a hard time going out in public, such as to grocery stores and shopping malls. I'm fine if I dont stand out in a crowd, but if someone talks to me, my heart will race and later I will replay the situation in my head a thousand times. Today was especially bad. I had to go to the post office. Everyone takes a number and waits. Well, that walk up to the teller when it was my turn was excrutiating.

Probably my worst symptom is blushing. I will blush almost all the time at somepoint in a conversation with someone. Sometimes I think if I could just get that part to go away, I could somehow handle the rest.

At work I deal with customers all day long and have no problems though. It seems that it is only on a personal level that I'm having trouble. Unfortunately, a personal level is anything other than work. I havent really had a friend in over 10 years. The worst part of all of this is that I think that I am probably quite a social person. I really want to be with people and have relationships. I'm just too worried about what everyone is thinking to relax and show an easy going side of myself that people want to be around.

Anyways, I'm going for help now. There is a 6 week waiting list for a doctor, but I'm on it. It has gotten so bad that I feel I can't function properly anymore. I have even had episodes of crying in public from the sheer tension I am feeling. The crazy thing is, most people probably wouldnt guess this about me. I still go out and do everything everone else does. The only difference is that I am always in a state of anxiety, and my thoughts are FILLED with replaying conversations and scenarios in my head to the point that it exhausts me.

Anyways, that's my story.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

rav4grl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynel
I have really bad social anxiety. I have a very hard time looking at people in the eye. If I'm talking to someone who I'm uncomfortable with (which is everyone other than my husband and family) I will usually start my own thought pattern in my head (such as, what are they thinking, are they thinking I'm stupid, are they just trying to nod and say 'uh huh' to get out of the conversation, am I boring, etc etc) that I will usually forget what I was saying, or I will just be able to spit it out in bits and pieces.

I have a hard time going out in public, such as to grocery stores and shopping malls. I'm fine if I dont stand out in a crowd, but if someone talks to me, my heart will race and later I will replay the situation in my head a thousand times. Today was especially bad. I had to go to the post office. Everyone takes a number and waits. Well, that walk up to the teller when it was my turn was excrutiating.

Probably my worst symptom is blushing. I will blush almost all the time at somepoint in a conversation with someone. Sometimes I think if I could just get that part to go away, I could somehow handle the rest.

At work I deal with customers all day long and have no problems though. It seems that it is only on a personal level that I'm having trouble. Unfortunately, a personal level is anything other than work. I havent really had a friend in over 10 years. The worst part of all of this is that I think that I am probably quite a social person. I really want to be with people and have relationships. I'm just too worried about what everyone is thinking to relax and show an easy going side of myself that people want to be around.

Anyways, I'm going for help now. There is a 6 week waiting list for a doctor, but I'm on it. It has gotten so bad that I feel I can't function properly anymore. I have even had episodes of crying in public from the sheer tension I am feeling. The crazy thing is, most people probably wouldnt guess this about me. I still go out and do everything everone else does. The only difference is that I am always in a state of anxiety, and my thoughts are FILLED with replaying conversations and scenarios in my head to the point that it exhausts me.

Anyways, that's my story.
I have the same thing..but seems to come and go...sometimes I am ok....cannot figure out what the problem is....what do we do for social axiety?...I think it is a nevousness the comes on that gives us a certain type of anxiety..I know I get and anxious feeling along with it...like I want to run and hide....and be by myself. I think maybe it has to do with blood sugar dropping or something. Anyway when I get this anxiety I keep to myself and do not want to go or do anything social with people. Wierd because I was in the entertainment business and was around alot of people and was ok.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
(female)

rav4grl HB User

Hi...I have the same thing...not always though...but when it comes on it is wierd feeling...almost like blood sugar dropping. I get and anxious feeling along with it like I want to run and hide and be alone. Sometimes I avoid any kind of social situations. Is there any med for this?....I take zanax but just makes me tired...I still feel tense and nervous. I have avoided many functions and people cannot figure out why...this is something we tend to hide. I also have hypothyroidism so I am wondering if when this feeling happens I need a med change and am going back to hyper. It is a crazy feeling....Any help appreciated....
Thanx

Closed Thread