It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
(female)

anxietysucks HB User
Knowing the Dangers of Long Term Benzo Use

Knowing that long term benzo use and discontinuation could lead to what I've heard described as horrific withdrawals, would you give it up your meds willingly and suffer through the attacks, if you knew it would keep you from having to go through the withdrawals? I've read all the horror stories, I've read how to reduce it gradually to decrease the withdrawal symptoms, but after 2 1/2 years, I don't know when or if I will be able to live without them. And yes, I have tried.

Hearing those stories but keeping in mind I'm not knowing their whole story, ie., the dosages (maybe extremely high for years), abuses, etc., I'd choose to cross the withdrawal bridge when I come to it (if I do), then to suffer anxiety attacks. Seems like a catch-22. I just try to keep in mind not to take any Xanax until I have to, and I feel pretty safe. All I know is when I'm in the middle of an attack, I just want it to end QUICK!

Old 08-30-2005, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Re: Poll: Knowing the Dangers of Long Term Benzo Use

I ahve taken ativan off and on for over 8 years. I am able to take it everyday for a month and then stop no problem for 6 months. Sometimes I have taken it once a week. Sometimes once a month. Lately..everyday. The same .25 - .50mg dose does the trick still after all these years. But lately (having a really bad relapse) I have taken it more often because it does wear off pretty fast (3-4 hours it seems). I am in love with my shrink. He sees nothing wrong with benzos and says I can be on them forever if they work and cause no problems. He said if you are an addictive person, you can get addicted to salt. If I couldnt get them anymore I would probably order them on the net because they are the only thing that helps me. And I HATE feeling anxious and panicy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Re: Poll: Knowing the Dangers of Long Term Benzo Use

I too would rather take them my whole life than deal with debilitating anxiety. My doc said the same thing as Cheers, and I know there are lots of people who have had to be on benzos their whole lives.Of course I wish i didn't have to take them, I am ok with taking it the rest of my life if nothing else works. I will try everything else in my power to quit, but I won't let myself suffer if nothing else works.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Re: Knowing the Dangers of Long Term Benzo Use

Me too, I'd rather take them forever than deal with anxiety & panic.

BTW, my doctor said that taking 1 - 2 of my Xanax per day should cause no problems. I honestly think it's more of an issue when someone "abuses" it - larger doses than prescribed, etc.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
(female)

holst HB User

I'm trying to wean off Lexapro now and just want to deal with my anxiety/panic with benzos. I think in the long run SSRIs do more damage to your brain chemistry - not to mention side effects like weight gain and hair loss. I'm hoping to just use the benzos occasionally, but if I have to use them everyday, I'm not going to beat myself up about it. It's not my fault my nevous system is out of whack.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Ditto everyone!

Closed Thread