It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 07:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Need advice on SSRIs and other questions..please

I am going to the psychiatrist tonight. I have been on klonopin .25mg at bedtime for one month. During this month my anxiety has significantly increased. I do not know if that is related to the klonopin or not. I have taken ativan for a long time and it has always worked well for me. I ahve taken it off and on for years without having to increase dosage, having addiction, or anything. Its just been great for me. But..not long lasting. So we figured the klonopin would be great. Now, the dose is very low...but I worry that a higher dose may increase the anxiety even more. Arent ativan and klonopin pretty much the same thing? Why would one cause anxiety and the other relieve it? That is why I do not know if the increased anxiety is klonpin related. I worry that Dr may suggest an SSRI for my obsessive thinking. I have obsessive worries about my health. He mentioned lexapro and effexor, but said he didnt think we would need to go there. I am NOT liking the idea of going on a drug like this. Can some of you tell me your experiences good and bad with these types of drugs? I'd really appreciate it. Id love to go there tonight with some opinions from ppl who have actually taken them, ya know?? And yes, I know that every drug is different on every person.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:04 AM   #2
(female)

anxietysucks HB User
Re: Need advice on SSRIs and other questions..please

I never had any luck on SSRI's personally. I always had bad side affects (some worse than others depending on which SSRI I was taking). For me personally, the benzos work best. I'd rather have my benzo dosage adjusted, especially since you have shown you can handle how much you take without abusing it. That's just my opinion though. I've read many other places where people just love their SSRI's and seem to rely on them more than benzos. But like they say, everybody reacts differently. I hope you post an update. I'd like to know what your doc said since he/she seems to have an open mind to handling/prescribing for anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxietysucks
I never had any luck on SSRI's personally. I always had bad side affects (some worse than others depending on which SSRI I was taking). For me personally, the benzos work best. I'd rather have my benzo dosage adjusted, especially since you have shown you can handle how much you take without abusing it. That's just my opinion though. I've read many other places where people just love their SSRI's and seem to rely on them more than benzos. But like they say, everybody reacts differently. I hope you post an update. I'd like to know what your doc said since he/she seems to have an open mind to handling/prescribing for anxiety.
Can you tell me which drugs you have taken and what effects they had?

Old 08-30-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Paxilhead HB User

Try Paxil, He'll start you at 10, then in 2-3 weeks will jump you to 20. It's the best SSRI for anxiety...

Old 08-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Hi,
I have taken both Paxil and Lexapro.

I took Paxil for about a year (3 years ago or so) and had very good results, and very few side effects. I weaned off of it (did suffer some withdrawals though).

Recently I tried Lexapro, and stopped after 3 days. I felt like a zombie the first two days, and on day 3, I had a really bad reaction (like a horrific panic attack, perhaps).. so I have quit Lexapro.

Just remember - everyone reacts to meds differently. Some people LOVE Lexapro. If you do take something & it doesn't agree with you, you can just stop taking it - remember that. Sometimes it's trial & error to find what will really help us.

I am considering going back on Paxil, since it helped me in the past with obsessive thinking.

Hope that helps, and best of luck!! Please let us know what happens.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
(female)

anxietysucks HB User

I've tried Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Zoloft, Effexor XR, and I don't remember the others. At that time, I was using a different doctor who prefered to rely soley on anti-depressants, and leave the benzos alone only because they were addictive. However, as the years progressed and I have learned more, that confused me because people seem to say that anti-depressants can have withdrawal problems. Ask your doc about all of this.

Please do not let my post scare you off. Like one of the other posters said, everyone reacts differently.

I ranged from having more anxiety, insomnia, constant yawning, clenched jaws, teeth grinding, severe headaches and aching behind the eyes, and I think that's about it. I always gave them their 2-3 weeks, and even had dosages adjusted. However while I was waiting for the side effects to subside, I was eating Xanax like candy to counter the side effects. That was just me though. I know people who LOVE their anti-depressants and can get by on them alone without the help of benzos. I'd give it a try. You'll never know until you do. Will be looking for your follow-up post.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Hello. I recently tryed Effexor which did not work well for me...had to stop after only 2 days. Then I tryed Lexapro for about 3 weeks. I didn't have any negative side effects but it didn't relieve my constant worrying and obsessive thoughts. Now I have been taking Paxil CR for almost 2 weeks. The side effects for me haven't been bad and I am finding some relief with it. I also take klonopin .5 mg in the a.m. and I am supposed to take 1 mg at bed time but it makes it hard for me to get up in the morning. Now I take .5 at bed time.

I am still having a rough time of it but I think the paxil cr is starting to do something for me. I also took regular paxil about 9 years ago and it worked well then too.

I am not standing on a soap box and telling everyone to go on an SSRI but here is my opinion. People get treated with medication for many different diseases. Some of those meds help them and some of them don't. If you are feeling so poorly why not get a med a try. If it doesn't work good for you then you can stop taking. For me, I look at the benefits it gives me. I am able to enjoy things more and not keep worrying about my health problems. My health problems are still here and always will be but my paxil seems to help me stop obsessing on it.

If you can do it alone or do it with just benzos that is great but if it's not working for you maybe give an SSRI a try. What do you have to lose. We all feel awful with this anxiety anyway.

P.S. like I said, this is just my opinion and I don't believe in pushing meds nor do I think everyone should take them. They just seem to be good for me and alot of other people i know.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.

debill

Old 08-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Personally, I am in no way against taking a long term med AT ALL. Thru out the last 10 years I have tried the following and NONE of them helped me or had terrible side effects:

Zoloft - weight gain, VERY sleepy, tummy aches, and major sexual side effects
Amitryptaline - woke up gasping for air, had to go to ER
Nortryptaline - was taking at same time as ami and stopped both
Remeron - gained a HUGE amount of weight
Buspar - totally didnt help

I think there were others I am forgetting.

Benzos I have never had a problem with.

I will definatly listen to the Dr tonight - I trust his judgement. I may just need to adjust the klonopin as I am at such a low dose.

I really appreciate hearing all of yor opinions and stories!!!!!!!!

Last edited by missy101; 08-30-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debill

I am not standing on a soap box and telling everyone to go on an SSRI but here is my opinion. People get treated with medication for many different diseases. Some of those meds help them and some of them don't. If you are feeling so poorly why not get a med a try. If it doesn't work good for you then you can stop taking. For me, I look at the benefits it gives me. I am able to enjoy things more and not keep worrying about my health problems. My health problems are still here and always will be but my paxil seems to help me stop obsessing on it.

If you can do it alone or do it with just benzos that is great but if it's not working for you maybe give an SSRI a try. What do you have to lose. We all feel awful with this anxiety anyway.

debill
I think this is good advice. A lot of people swear by their anti-depressants for their anxiety, so it must work for some people. It's worth a try.

I have tried Zoloft, Luvox, Prozac and Paxil. For me personally, I will never try another SSRI. The side-effects of feeling no emotion and not being able to have an orgasm, were bad enough. On Paxil I felt shaky, hot flashes, headaches, joint pain, teeth grinding, palpitations, etc. and I gained 8 pounds in a month. When my doctor stepped me off Paxil, the withdrawal was almost unbearable. I'd rather deal with my anxiety than that pain ever again.

I have tried a lot to combat my anxiety/panic over ten+ years. I've also tried Elavil, but I call that the blackout medicine...great for sleeping, but hard to wake up in the morning. I couldn't live like that either. I have come to the conclusion that taking Xanax as needed works the best (for me) and I don't have to be dependent on a daily medication that will cause withdrawal if I want to stop. I also quit smoking four years ago, I limit my caffeine and I don't take anything with Sudafed in it.

Good luck...keep us posted.

-SRMom

Last edited by SRMom; 08-30-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Closed Thread