It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 AM   #1

LonelyTraveler HB User
Unhappy Alcohol and strange nights

Hi

I suffer from absolutely debilitating Anxiety, OCD, Scruptulosity, Depression, Panic Attacks, etc and I used to drink a case of beer a day just to "get through the day". Right now, I don't even have the strength/motivation to post because I feel like noone here can wave a magic wand and cure me but maybe I can get some input from others who have been through this horrible, hellish nightmare.

Anyway, I have taken up drinking a few glasses of gin and soda almost every evening to "calm the beast within" but when I do this, I always wake up in the middle of the night and have the most freakish sensations you could imagine. Like, I'll just be laying there in bed and all of a sudden it feels like my nose has just shifted an inch to the left or I'll suddenly become fearful that my tongue is paralyzed but then a few minutes later I'll try to move it and it will move with no problem or I'll get up to relieve myself and it's like my ghost is walking around while my body is still laying in bed. Sometimes I don't know wether I'm dreaming or these things are actually happening. Why did'nt I have all these weird sensations years ago when I was drinking beer?. I mean, I stopped drinking altogether for almost two years and then started on the gin, did fine for awhile and now all of this weird night-time stuff and it's getting worse - and only after an evening of drinking. Do I have some disease that the alcohol is making worse?. I have been tested for EVERYTHING for years and all of the tests come back normal except I have nerve impingement and damaged vertebrae in my neck and I also have Herpes (the oral kind that almost everyone else in the world has).

Also, I almost constantly have this foggy, fuzzy, spacey, lightheaded, soupy, syrupy, anesthetized feeling in my head/brain that drives me mad.

I'll write more later or something. Gosh, why do we have to be tortured day and night like this???

- Lonely Traveler.

Last edited by LonelyTraveler; 08-30-2005 at 11:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Re: Alcohol and strange nights

Hi there,

Well, I can only tell you what I know. It has been said that alcohol makes anxiety worse in the long run.

I realize that while it makes me feel better right after I've had a few drinks (a few good strong ones!), I pay for it later.

I often wake up in the middle of the night & cannot get back to sleep. And then I have anxiety/panic attacks. The next day, I suffer even worse panic & anxiety than usual; even Xanax doesn't help me much. If I drink a lot again - then it goes away until the cycle begins again.

I'm not a doctor so I can't say that there is someting wrong with you, or not wrong with you - but I can just share my experiences with you. I always feel worse the night/day after drinking a lot.

Good luck to you, I hope you feel better!

Old 08-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

Ive found that whilst a few drinks DOES calm my horrible anxiety (and all my physical symtoms disapear for a while) i often wake having a panic attack, but i think for them few 'hours of feeling normal' its worth it. It is a vicious circle though, you drink to calm down, then feel anxoius as you sober up (argh!), but obviously you cant stay drunk forever (unfortunately). I have a pill phobia and im scared of taking anything that will leave me feeling like a zombie or give me horrible side effects, cos i seem to get them all (lol) (yes ive tried many meds in the past but cant stand that not feeling in control feeling). I often wish i could try not to drink and see how my anxiety is then, but im too much of a chicken and crack open a beer when things get to much, i dont drink to get drunk, just have enough to calm that BEAST. So worry not i think we are all in the same boat here. Keep smiling

Old 08-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
(female)

ajas HB User

Im exactly the same as lindsalou, tho I drink alot in a session, its all swings and roundabouts, feel good when drinking, acute panic in the night or next day when not drinking.
If it makes any of us panickers feel better, non panickers feel anxious the next day as well, they just dont feel it so intensely.
I say do what you gotta do to get thru the rough times.
Sue

Old 08-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
(male)

NotUnderstood HB User

I cannot completely understand where you're coming from with the weird unexplainable feelings in the middle of the night, but I will say one thing; Alcohol probably isn't doing any good, even though it feels imperative to drink it just to get by or to face the outside world, trust me, I know what that's like.

But, I know when I drink, and it's usually more than enough, the next day, along with having a hangover, my anxiety seems to be worse too, more paranoia, more strange indescribable feelings and twitches, etc. etc. So, my best bet would be to lay off the drinking. If anything, maybe just an occasional drink like wine at dinner or something like that, but who knows, people that have an addictive personality or are already considered alcoholics shouldn't even be drinking anything for their own sake, in my opinion. To each his own.

Good luck, and I hope that you get to the bottom of this issue.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 PM   #6
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I quit drinking because of the strange feelings I would have the next day. I know for a fact that when you drink, even though you THINK your getting a good nights sleep your actually NOT. Your mind because of the alcohol chemical can NOT get into that deep REM sleep so your brain is in full gear and your body MAY in fact be lifeless. Sound familiar. Your body runs on what it knows so when you throw in alcohol it reacts to fight the poison off and THAT'S why you get the "buzz". It's poison in your system. I know you probably don't want to hear it but if you really want to feel better I would try NOT drinking and take a good vitamin everyday and start an exercise program. Drink lots of water! Your body will strengthen, your motabolism will rise and you'll have new energy. As far as sleeping and dreams, here's a few pointers....Go to bed at the SAME time everynight. Make sure your tired when you go to bed, if not then read a book until you are. Wake up everyday at the same time and make sure not to oversleep. Stay away from alcohol, cigerettes if possible and caffiene. ALL of which messes your body up. I promise you that if you do this for even two weeks you will notice a difference in the way you feel and the way you sleep. What do you have to lose? Good luck.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:24 PM   #7

LonelyTraveler HB User

Thank's immensely for all the replies and it is very much a relief to know that I'm not alone. I took a 1mg Ativan earlier but I've still got some anxiety, twitches all over (especially my right lip and left cheek and it's driving me nuts. I'm so sick of this cycle of anxiety, drinking, popping pills, the freaky sensations, etc. I just can't deal with this anymore but what is a person supposed to do?. I'm at my wit's end and just can't live like this anymore .

The reason I suddenly decided to have a few glasses of gin and soda this evening was because I got that old numb-headed, foggy-brained, light-headed feeling like someone had pickled my brain in Novacaine overnight (I hate that feeling...anyone else get that??). What a price to pay though. Now it's MUCH worse and I imagine I'll be flipping out all through the night. Maybe I'll take an Atarax to help me sleep or something.

Anyway, thank's. Keep talking to me please

Last edited by LonelyTraveler; 08-30-2005 at 08:27 PM.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi there LonelyTraveler,

I hope you are able to lower your anxiety level. I know alcohol makes you feel better for a while, but then it is worse in the am or whenever it wears off. Do you think that the "spacey, foggy, weird feelings could also be caused by the alcohol and not just the anxiety?!

If you care to, think this out. How long were you drinking the case of beer before you quit for 2 yrs.? And how did you feel when you did not drink for 2 yrs.? Did you have anxiety those yrs.? And (not being mean, just trying to help), how tall is the glass of gin and soda, and how much is gin and how much is soda? I have known people that had 2/3 gin and 1/3 soda or water and regular 16 oz. glasses full! Have you ever had you liver checked? Or your esophagus and/or stomach? They could be hurt by the alcohol and could be contributing to your problems?!

As far as trying to go to - or get back to sleep: I play simple, simple video games. Like 3 kinds of solitare, hearts, and other easy, easy cheap games on the computer. That puts me to sleep within an hour, when I am tired! Also, like some one else said, try to wear yourself out during the day, and you will be much more tired!

Take care and I hope you feel better. Wannabe

Old 09-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
(male)

kertson HB User

I have the same alcohol and anxiety problems as you, I can tell you first hand that the Ativan is what is causing the light headed-foggy feelings. I thought it could just take it when need be, but actually I would suffer extreme withdrawl such as light headedness, fogginess, drowsiness, it was terrible. I switched to xanax and don't have the same problems, good luck.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

New to this board but I too suffer and have all my life with anxiety/depression and go for the beers... I too have my "good" days with a few beers but now it seems it is making all worse! Also have severe pain issues, back surgeries. I've tried to give all meds up and beer but the only one that I feel less "zombied" on is beer. Try cutting down and drink green tea, yep, I do find that helps relax some. Once your body gets rid of all the med poisons and start eating better its amazing how you start to feel better! The anxiety I feel will always be there, just type A and always "'thinking" lol just try to get some destractions, be it reading holistic type books, positive thinking stuff and quick pick me up phrases etc. Get up and do something, walk or just change the scene for a while. I did it again today started to drink and got more edgy, sd nope , drank a few glasses of water and sd to myself no more poisons in my body! Not to say I will once in awhile still but sure have cut back loads!!! vitamines and green tea, our bodies crave alcohol because we are lacking something, not adding poisons will help only make it worse in the long run. Dr's just try to medicate us to mask the true issues, trial and error but it does come down to basics, natural good foods and lots of good water, rest and exercise, good thoughts, difficult in the world we live in but we still have control over our minds and bodies, hugs to all!

Closed Thread