It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

anxietysucks HB User
Why Won't The Doc.'s Listen to Us When We Tell Them What Works?

It took me almost a year and several doctors until I found one that would listen to me. They all wanted to prescribe me an antidepressant. I am one of the most happiest go lucky people. I just get anxious. When I try to tell them that a benzo. is the only thing that has worked for me, they give you that look like you're an addict just there for some controlled substance. When I've asked why they want to give me an antidepressant, the answer is either (1) because I'm crying, or (2) because I'm not crying. Either way, if I cry or don't cry, they say I'm depressed. I know when I'm depressed. I know when I'm having an anxiety attack. TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT FEELINGS!!! I just want to scream at them "didn't you hear a word I said"?

Sometimes I wonder if its the pharmaceutical companies trying to get them to push these drugs? After all, I have paid almost $100 for a months supply of a particular antidepressant, as opposed to $11.00 for a month of your old school benzo. Or is it the fear or losing their licenses? I mean in my state, drug and prescription abuse has become such a serious problem.

Did you all have to search a while to find a doctor who would listen and wasn't afraid to write you a prescription for what you needed? I'm so thankful for my doctor that if he moved to another city, I would probably follow him there. Until I found this site, he has been the only person who understands me and believes me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Why Won't The Doc.'s Listen to Us When We Tell Them What Works?

I have a doctor who happily refills my prescriptions, but I don't really like him. I stick with him because I know that my medication is what works for me and I don't want to risk getting someone who is nervous about giving me Xanax. I do think they are paid to write prescriptions for expensive medicines, but I'm sure they only do it if they think it will help. Don't you just wish your doctor could just give you a hug, tell you everything is going to be fine and really listen to you? That's what I want, better bedside manner!

Old 08-30-2005, 11:32 AM   #3

LonelyTraveler HB User

Because your doctor is "the big boss" - not you. It's an ego thing I think (just my humble opinion).

Old 08-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
(female)

livfortoday HB User

I totally agree with you my regular doctor always wanted to put me on anti depressants, I would say i am not depressed i just have anxiety. I finally couldn't take it anymore, I went back to a phyciatrist (I am a bad speller) Who has no problem giving them to me. I wanted to find a doctor closer to my home but figured it was worth the driving distance to get the meds that i know work for me. Anti-depressants are also addicting in the way that you just can't stop taking them or you will have withdrawls. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I feel so blessed when I read threads like this.
I don't have a problem with panic or anxiety anymore, but the only person who ever listened to me was my GP.
I can remember going into his office and saying "I think I'm going crazy."
He put his arm around me and said "I don't think you are, if you were you'd think you were sane."
He asked me what was wrong and I told him everything...crying the whole time.
He listened to everything I said, took my hand and told me that together we'd figure out what was wrong.
He told me that it could be a number of things...he assured me none of which would kill me.
He said we'd run tests...and boy did we...tests on my heart, for high or low blood sugar, thyroid problems...and several others that I can't remember.
When everything came back normal that's when he told me that what I had was panic disorder.
Xanax was what he gave me and that's all that ever worked for me.

I asked about an Anti'D.....he never even brought it up...he said I could try it if I wanted too, but if the Xanax was working he didn't have a problem with me taking it...but stupid me I tried two different Anti'D's...he gave me samples...glad I didn't waste my money on them
I won't get into the way they made me feel, I'll just say they didn't work for me.
Some people have great luck with them...I wasn't one of them.

Anyway to make a long story short like I said I dont' have panic attacks anymore and he helped me wean off of the Xanax...I had no problems at all doing that BTW.
He's still my GP and everytime I go to him he makes it a point to ask me how I'm doing, and when I tell him that I'm still panic free he's actually happy to hear.
That Man is a gem and I wish all of you could find a Doctor as caring as he is.

I just read over my post and I make him sound like "Doc Baker" from "Little House on the Praire" ...when in fact he's far from a little old man...he's in his mid 40's.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

that is wonderful to hear gracie...I am glad you have such a good caring doctor.I think so many doctors get to caught up in the rush and other things .
I have been through alot of different doctors and never once have I been in the care of one like yours......you are blessed

Closed Thread