It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User
Anyone experience change in their "normal" anxiety symptoms?

Hi all -- Hypochondriac Marirose is back! UGH! I have been doing so well for so long, and now hit a snag in my recovery from this bout of anxiety!

Here's the deal. I usually experience my anxiety in the form of indigestion/IBS type symptoms and constant worry with neck/back/shoulder tension.

This bout has brought on episodes of lightheadedness, adrenaline "rushes", and a kind of 'disconnectedness' that I have never experienced before. I still have the other problems, but these other ones are new to me. I know they are symptoms of anxiety, but it just seems strange to me that they would develop out of the blue.

I do have some stressful things going on in my life, as well as a slight sinus/allergy thing, and I am wasting WAY too much time wondering if these new sensations are from my sinus problem, from anxiety or some fatal illness I have yet to diagnose by looking up symptoms on the internet! Honestly, I am ticked at myself for not being able to get by this...I take klonopin .5mg twice a day and it doesn't seem to be helping much lately.

Has anyone esle experienced a change in their "normal" anxiety experiences like this? Any insight would be helpful. Another poster suggested an inner ear problem - I have a regular check up with my doc. in two weeks, so I will ask him about that then, but I wonder who else has ever felt like this?

Thanks in advance for your help! Marirose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Re: Anyone experience change in their "normal" anxiety symptoms?

Now that I think of it, I do have small changes now and then but I have failed to realize it as probably anxiety until now. Plus, there are a few symptoms that come and go so fast I don't realize it as part of my anxiety - like every now and then i get this weird hot/fuzzy feeling inside my head, thats the best way I can describe it, and I also feel kinda dizzy. I don't always have that, just occassionally.

I've also noticed in the past few years i have developed bad heartburn/stomachaches every now and then that I NEVER used to get. I;m sure there are other things I am forgetting, but yes, i do get these weird new symptoms sometimes.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hi Mjewell, thanks for the input. Sometimes it just helps sooo much to hear someone else say "hey you're not crazy, this happens to me too". My husband is very supportive, but he has not one anxious bone in his body, so he can't, I don't think, understand the same way someone does who also suffers this. So, anyway, thanks again....Hope you are feeling ok! Marirose

Old 08-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi Marirose:

If you're taking a decongestant for your sinus/allergy problems, that could be why you are having these new symptoms. Otherwise, they sound like the usual derealization I get when I'm about to have a panic attack. I get them when under extra stress. Maybe if that is the case, you should up your dose of Klonopin temporarily, until those symptoms subside. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hi SRMOM - thanks for the input! I have been using a nasal spray for my allergies, so maybe that is it...I am under some extra stress - My dad is dying, my brother is having marital problems (which means I often end up with my distressed neice & nephew at my home - and I have six kids of my own), I just sent my foster daughter back to her birth mother, and to top it off, my "baby" started first grade! EEK! I am going to try to ride it out until I see my doc., but if things get really bad, I will take an extra klonopin until things even out around here. Thanks for the reply - it helps sooo much to be able to talk here to others who truly understand because they live it! marirose

Old 08-30-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Wow...you have a lot on your plate! No wonder you are feeling more anxiety. Sounds like you know what to do. My heart is with you!

Old 08-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Thank you so much! Your response has brought tears to my eyes, because it really means that much to me to know that a stranger would take the time to care for me. I am a very devout Catholic, and I believe the saying of Christ, "Whatsoever you do for the least of my people, that you do onto Me". SRMom, I hope you are not offended, and whatever faith you may or may not have, know I will say a prayer for you tonight and I believe that God is smiling on you for reaching out to a stranger. Sleep well,Marirose

Old 08-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
(male)

NotUnderstood HB User

Marirose,

Yes, it seems as though you do have a lot of things going on, so you shouldn't beat yourself up about getting stressed and having anxiety, because obviously you're strong enough to handle all of that, that a lot of people would not be able to, so I commend you on that.

I have definitely experienced different stages of anxiety; one day just feeling weird and disconnected from others around me, another day of feeling paranoid thinking that everyone's talking about me, and that usually is just considered paranoia, but I dont know if thats what brings on the anxiety, or if its the other way around....who knows.

And on other days, I just don't feel like being around another human soul, talking to anyone, answering my phone, my door, nothing, and all I want to do is sleep or stay in the solitude of my room or livingroom watching television or staying on the computer.

I know that it's not good to be alone that much, because it adds to my depression and anxiety I'm sure, but sometimes, one just cannot help it, as in my case is true. I'm coping though, I'm getting by, I'm going out when I don't really want to, and I'm surviving, so I try to look at things in the most positive way possible and know that it can always be worse, and I pray to god that I am alive and I have the things I have.

I also noticed someone talking about indigestion/heartburn and what not, and I thought that was strange, because all the sudden, not too long ago, I started getting real bad heartburn and burping(not outloud), and it's hard to explain, it's like it's coming from my chest or neck, not a usual burp that you would hear, and it can go on for a long time. I figured it had to do with eating certain foods and what not. Can this possibly be anything having to do with anxiety or something? I never would've thought that, but I figured I'd ask.

I hope that you start feeling better soon maririse, and I wish the best for you. Take it easy, one day at a time.

Old 08-31-2005, 05:19 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hi N.U. - Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with me. I do have alot on my plate right now, but I am used to it, and I personally rely on what I feel is the grace of God to keep moving forward. Thank you for reminding me to look on the bright side. There have been days when I would like nothing better than curling up in my room and not coming out! I can understand that totally. Sometimes I think my hypochondria (when it flares) is brought on by the overwhelming feeling of "what would happen to all the people who depend on me if something were to happen to me?"

And as for the indigestion/heartburn, that is the way I usually experience anxiety, in digestive physical symptoms. There is a definite connection between your mind and your digestive tract - my doctor and I have discussed this. There are several people on this board who have posted about their symptoms of GERD and anxiety mixing to together - like which caused which? Did anxiety bring on Gerd or did Gerd bring on anxiety? I can't remember what the titles of any of the threads were, but if you want more info, why not start on thread on it, I am sure you will get lots of responses!

Hope you have a good day - thanks again for sharing your story and your good wishes. I will take it one day at a time....best advice I 've had in a while! Marirose

-----------------------------------------------
"Though sorrow may last through the night, His joy comes with the morning."

Old 08-31-2005, 07:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Marirose:

You sound so sweet and thoughtful. Thank you for your kind words and prayers, it really means a lot to me too.

-SRMom

Old 09-22-2005, 09:35 AM   #11
(female)

kedcooper HB User

Marirose you are not alone. I have been researching my symptons- panic attacks that feel like someone squeezing my esaphagus or chest all the way around, heartburn, burping, bleeching, severe swelling, bloating and gas. Stomache sometimes feels like it is on fire for days. I blamed it on weight gain and eating spicy food but lost some weight and did not eat anything and still had heartburn and gas. Also quit smoking and still had the bad stomache. So while reading I find that the depo shot I was on for four years probable caused high levels of progestrone. Progestrone is the hormone that is high during pregnancy and I was sick with heartburn and a bad stomache thru both of my pregnancies. I now believe depo is the reason for ever bad thing. I consider it a miracle cure for unwanted pregnancy but it had probable done some damage including hospitalizing me twice once for heavy bleeding and once for a biopsy for abnormal pap smears. All hormone related. My acne is very bad and has always been bad since age 13 but should be showing some sign of easing up since I am now almost 40. My MD and GYN have done some test and the MD did say depo for the face but did not mention the high level of progestrone it causes could be killing my stomache. You may have a similar thing. I plan to have my hormones tested and to never take the depo shot again. Last shot was 5/28/05 and it takes time to wear off. Hope you get better. Karen

Old 09-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I have the reverse of your symptoms. I always had some lightheadedness/dizzy spells in relation to my anxiety. I would tighten up my jaw muscles which in turn tightened up my ear canal and then I would have the dizzy spells. Happened every time I was under a lot of stress. Check your jaw and see if it is tight. This can also make you feel disconnected.

Now I have the nausea and IBS. Soooooo, I was worried about that being a new symptom of stress/anxiety.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
(male)

kingam HB User

every so often my symptoms change... it depends on the trigger... when i am worried about my health i usually get more stomach issues.. when im worried about the panic itself i get a lot of closing throat type symptoms like i cant swallow and stuff...

sucks, huh?

Closed Thread