It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User
fear of choking

Over the past few weeks (since someone mentioned choking on a piece of meat) ive had a real problem eating. Im ok with mushy food (like potatoes) but when it come to meat or anything i feel like my throat is contstrictin and i cant swallow any thing. Food seems to go half way down then i seem to stop swallowing, then that wave of panic hits and i have to leave my meal. ITS SCARY. I Know its in my head, but im getting concerned as i have anemia and know i must try to eat meat (which before this i loved). Has anybody else had this experience, and has any advice... please before i waste away ( i could do with shedding i few pounds- but not this way.)

Old 08-31-2005, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Re: fear of choking

Hi there,
I suffered from this EXACT same thing when I was a child for about a month - and then eventually I was okay again. I remember I would chew up my dinner (pork chops, etc) and then spit it into my napkin. I basically lived on mashed potatoes, milk shakes, applesauce, etc.

Somehow I just got over it; I still suffer from a fear of choking on pills & they almost always get stuck in my throat, so I can relate to what you are dealing with (on a different level).

I would go talk to your doctor, esp. since you are anemic. Maybe he can provide some type of supplement for you, and perhaps even ease your mind about choking.

Hope you feel better asap!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 06:02 AM   #3
(male)

kingam HB User

woah. ive had this for 3 years. i almost choked on a powerbar in my car and ever since, everytime i eat im scared ill choke. so i over chew, over think every swallow... its hard... it hasnt been bad for a while, but i can completely relate to you... just remember, youre throat can handle quite a bit of food without choking... just try to relax...

im with you though... i have this... its sorta nice to see someone else can relate.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Does swallowing extra water or some other drink with your food help? Sometimes I feel like food won't go down all the way and I'll "wash" it down with water. Kingam is right, and I'd add that it would be hard to actually choke unless food had gotten into your airway (then you'd know it). Remember to breathe deep and relax. I'm sure it will go away.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
(female)

CraZeeOne HB User

I think this is a pretty common symptom, isn't it? Globus or something close to that. I have the same problem and it can actually lead to a full blown attack. I try to chew throughly but even that sometimes is not enough. I have lieved with this feeling on and off for several years now. I know there is nothing in my throat but it certainly feels like there is. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

Many thanks for your replies, i do have to have a drink when i eat to wash it down (makes your food taste crap) but i find it does help. I can start eating and not be thinking about choking then all of a sudden i think whoa, this could get stuck. Crazy i know but its a relief to know im not alone (not that id wish anyone to feel like this) but im sure you all know what i mean. Thanks again.

Closed Thread