It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 04:48 AM   #1
(female)

anxietysucks HB User
What's the Difference Between Anxiety Attacks v. Panic Attacks?

Seriously. Until I found this site and saw there were two different Issues, I had thought they were one in the same. I went into the panic attack board and saw everything that seemed to be what I thought was anxiety issues.

Is panic attacks like phobias ie., fear of heights, etc.? Just wondering.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: What's the Difference Between Anxiety Attacks v. Panic Attacks?

If you are having actual panic attacks, I think you would know the difference. When I have an anxiety attack, my heartrate speeds up, I get a tightness in my chest, I pace, can't focus, obsess about everything, etc. When I get a panic attack, I feel like I'm disconnected from my body (derealization, depersonalization), everything in my body tenses up and I feel like I have to get out of (escape) whatever situation I'm in or I'll pass out or hurt someone else. It usually happens in my car, so I may have a phobia about driving. People with panic disorder often become trapped in their homes because of the fear of having more panic attacks. This is called agoraphobia. There is a lot of info on the internet about panic disorders if you are interested, you could do a search.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
(male)

SirReal HB User

Even if some people associate different feelings with anxiety vs panic, I don't see much of a difference. If you are talking about getting the point of having an actual attack, I'm not sure that there is any difference at all. Maybe panic and general anxiety triggers are different, but to me they both work you up to the same point. Coping skills that you learn will apply to both.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

IMO paNIC AND ANXIETY attacks are the same, panic attack is a medical trem which some find insulting, anxiety attack sounds more polite

Old 08-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi hry:

So I'm hearing you say that an anxiety attack is a panic attack. Do you think that a panic attack could be a very severe anxiety attack? I feel there is a big difference, but that's just my opinion... I'm not a doctor. I definitely think anxiety attacks can lead to panic attacks, so maybe they are the same. I guess it is a little ambiguous.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

SRMom and anxietysucks - my thinking is that anything with an "attack" tacked on to the end is the same thing. If you have "anxiety" then you are not having an "attack" per se, you just have that constant icky feeling we know all too well. When it escalates into a panic situation, you have a panic attack. Anxiety attack, panic attack ~ tomato tom-AH-to - all the same to me. I just post here more because there are usually more people on this board than the panic one.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Thanks mjewell! I got a little chuckle too...it feels good to laugh. You are right, anything called an "attack" is bad.

Closed Thread