It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Do you avoid people that stress you out?

I've noticed that being around certain friends stirs anxiety in me, which then results in some of my panic symptoms, especially heart palpitations.

There are probably only two friends that create this in me, so it's not THAT bad, I guess.

I find that I really don't want to be around these people much anymore; I know that I can't use the "I'm so busy" excuse forever & wonder what to do.

Does anyone else find themselves doing this?

Old 08-31-2005, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

Tiggerredz HB User
Re: Do you avoid people that stress you out?

zosolizard,

I do have this problem. I have a friend who I literally had to saty away from due to the level of anxiety and panic she gave me. Also sometimes my mom gives me the same symptoms. With my mom just have to tough it out, but it is weird how it happens. I think for me it stems from these people being to demanding on me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

yes, I realize that it happens with my Mom too, but I also know that I must just tough it out, because she is old & ill, and I do love her with all my heart.

But yeah - the other people, I really don't see why I should subject myself to it. They do & say things that I really don't like or agree with - so maybe I really don't need them as close friends anyway. People & needs changes, right??

Old 08-31-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

My youngest sister causes me to get panic attacks. I hadn't had any in years until she got divorced and moved out here to be near me. She's also got anxiety issues, depression, and the one that sets me off is her restless legs. She's like a helicopter in my living room! Now she's decided she's gay, but the partner she chose is an 18-year-old girl (she's 40). I love her, but I have to admit, I'm staying away because she gives me panic attacks.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 AM   #5
(female)

anxietysucks HB User

I wish I could. Unfortunately, my job stresses me out and the people I work with. Alot of back stabbing and hollering. I would look for another job but my position is stressful anyway, but with this company, they don't even like for you to take time away for a doctor's appointment. You even get grief for taking a vacation day. I couldn't even imagine taking a whole weeks vacation. So if I did look for another job, I can't imagine how I would even be able to get away from here to interview. It's not even noon yet, and today I've had 4 of my .5mg of Xanax. I'm only supposed to have 3 x day.

But other than that, a BIG yes to staying away from people who stress me. I can't even watch anything that is so horrific (like what some of these child predators have done) on the news without having an anxiety attack, or like when the beheadings were going on over there. I totally lose it and then come the butterflies in the stomach!

Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
(female)

CraZeeOne HB User

I have the same symptoms when talking to a dear, elderly aunt of mine but I have just cut down the contact time and not completely cut off all contact. I know this is more my issues than hers and she is not intentionally causing these reactions in me. I just hope I don't cause the same anxiety in others. Bless her heart though, I have been right to the edge of a full bown attack while speaking with her.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
(female)

Tiggerredz HB User

I also work at a place where a lot of back stabbing and mean spirited people work, I made the mistake of telling them about my panic/anxiety issues, now they won't even talk to me and have taken most of my work load away like I am not capable of doind anything, unless they need a favor from me. I run software that noone else understands besides me, people in my office haven't spoken to me in months, right after I shared with them what I was going through. That was a big mistake. I have been looking for something else, but I have to tough this out until then and it is miserable working with eight ladies who are so mean and unsympathtic. I do try and stay away frm them as much as I can, then they tell my boss I am being reclusive, I really can't win!

Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Tiggerredz:

I used to work in an office with a bunch of mean women. One day they'd be nice, then next really cranky. I never knew what to expect. Talk about stress! Then I started having terrible anxiety and this was when I went on my first anti-depressant. I told the women in the office and experienced the same thing you did. All of a sudden, they treated me like I was crazy, lightened my work load and then made me feel guilty like I was a burden to them. They also talked about me to our boss, who in turn started treating me differently. Then, I took a couple of sick days for the flu and when I came back, my supervisor demanded a doctor's note (she acted like she didn't believe I had the flu). I couldn't take it anymore and I walked out and never went back. I don't recommend anyone handle their situation like I did, because I still have regrets, but in retrospect, I would've been a lot happier if I would've just found another job and left on better terms. I learned personal things should be kept personal.

Just an idea...my husband has a job, but wants one closer to home. He explains this to prospective employers and recently met with one at 6:30am, before work. They seem to respect that you don't want to miss work and will accommodate you.

Last edited by SRMom; 08-31-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
(female)

Tiggerredz HB User

SRMom,

Thank you for the advice. I didn't even think about scehduling the interviews early in the morning. It is hard to hold on in here, I have had my desk packed up for over a month now, One day I wanted to walk out so badly, but then you start to think about insurance, meds, all of that stuff. I hate having to take a Xanax just to get through the day at work. I wish people could just understand more, I barely understand myself. I am currently having a relaspe so it makes it worse. I feel life would be much easier if I could get away from these people, I have always been liked, so I konda of know it isn't me, but they do make me question and doubt myself. Thanks for the help, I know this is a bit off topic.Sorry

Old 08-31-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I have this issue too where people treat me differently.I do not work outside my home I am a stay at home mom,but for example hub and I are members of our local vol fire dept and I am treated differently there by some.It is almost like they treat me like a disabled person which I surely am not.Some dont even talk to me really its like they are scared something they say will throw me into an attack.I feel I am treated like I am not as capable as others and that is just not right,shoot when I do have an anxiety attack you cannot even tell im having it unless I say something.

Closed Thread