It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Angry So mad/upset I am shaking...jury duty, letter to dr

has anyone been called to jury duty while dealing wit this crap? I have been called at the end of September. Things have been so bad with me lately regarding panic and anxiety, I am having a really hard time getting through my days at work without several Xanax and I am TERRIFIED of being called to a jury.

So, I wrote my dr a heartfelt letter thinking this would be a good opportunity for me to do that since I rarely visit him and almost ALWAYS forget to tell him how i really fele. So in my letter (I kept if to two paragraphs), I tell him things have been very bad altely and I am planning on seeing a therapist as well as making an appointment with him next week to see what i can do as far as treatment. I told him about the jury duty and told him honestly that right now I do not feel like I can sit through a trial in the state I am in, and asked him if he could write me a medical disqualification so i can get treatment and get on with things. I made sure to tell him PLEASE do not think gthis is a cop-out on my part, I really want to get help and it is time for me, but jury duty is not something I can handle right now.

So, after receiving my letter, he has his nurse call me (who was very rude) and she is clearly reading from some notes he wrote down for her. To sum up, his "notes" said he will not disqualify me from jury duty, but he will write me a postponement. However, I need to "get over my panic because I need to serve jury duty," (word for word) and that he is going to prescribe me clonazepam instead of Xanax.

First of all, if he would have consulted his notes, he would have seen that I have taken every benzo including clonazepam, and have quit everyone and went back to Xanax because it is the only thing that works for me. Changing my damn meds every time I am going through a hard patch is not the {REMOVED}answer!!

Second, I am really upset that he had his rude and stupid nurse (who by the way does not know the difference between alprazolam and lorazepam) call me, and I am embarrassed that she knows about this very personal letter I had written to him as well as my personal and embarrassing issue that i can't even handle jury duty.

Third, and this is the worst of all, I cannopt believe he told me I need to "get over my panic..." this from the dr I have been going to for 3 years because of this anxiety. If i have ever been motivated to fnd another doc it is NOW. The onyl reason I go to that office is because he is not reluctant to prescribe benzos, and I'm scared I will have a hard time finding another doc who will. Clearly though, i need to find someone more understanding and someone who looks at the bigger picture, maybe I need more help than just meds.

Am I overreacting here or wouold you guys be mad too?

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-01-2005 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Please use appropriate language. Thanks, ms_mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: So mad/upset I am shaking...jury duty, letter to dr

I dont think you are overreacting at all.If my doctor ever told me I needed to just "get over my panic" I would change doctors.Yes I would be upset and angry.As far as getting out of the jury duty I dont know how to go about that.I do think I would be keyed up and on edge too though if I had to do jury duty.I am sorry you have been having a hard time and now this.I think you should consider another doctor though I mean for him to say that sounds like he really doesnt understand panic at all and just dishes out pills and sends ya on your way.I know alot of doctors are this way.The doctors I am seeing now I dont think really fully understand ,but they havent told me to get over it either.

good luck

Old 09-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I'd be upset too, not only about the jury duty thing but also the way he treated you and the attitude of the Nurse.

I'm not sure, but I would think if he will write you a postponment then you shouldn't have to worry about the jury duty, at least not this time around.
But check with the Court House.

I got called to jury duty once while I was in the midst of my panic/anxiety problems.
The form they sent me had a whole lot of questions on it.

One question asked if I was related to anyone in Law enforcement.
I have two cousins that are Policemen and my Husband is a Police Detective.
My Husband told me that would probably be enough to get me out of jury duty.

But I wasn't taking any chances, I knew there was no way I could do it.
On the back of the form it said if I had any medical reason for not being able to service that I need to get my Doctor to write me a letter.
I went to his office and talked to the Nurse and told her what I needed...she called the next day and said my letter was ready.
It simply said that at that time I suffered from severe panic and anxiety issues and it would be in my best interest if I could be excused.
The Court House excused me that time, but did tell me that they'd put my name back in rotation.
That was 6 years ago and I haven't been called since.

Sorry I wrote such a long answer, just wanted to let you know that IF the postponment he will write for you will excuse you this time, it maybe a very long time before you're ever called again.

I also agree with you, maybe it is time to find a new Doctor.
That one doesn't sound like he has very much compassion, or sense for that matter if he told you to "Get over" your panic disorder.
If only it were that easy.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks so much for your replies.

In my state you can request a postponement or a medical disqual...the medical disqual I think means you will never be called again. The postpone means you will be called again, but who knows when. I am ok with the postpone, as I do have confidence that I won't be this bad forever. You're right though, the way he treated me was inexcusable. I am not shocked, but I AM surprised. I mean, I always knew he wasn't the best dr since he discouraged me from therapy the first time I ever went in to see him, but I NEVER thought he would do this.

I just hope I can keep the faith that I will find a dr who helps. The search is exhausting and discouraging, and I hate feeling like I may have to go this alone if I don't find help

Old 09-02-2005, 04:57 AM   #5
(female)

anxietysucks HB User

Mjewell, I just wrote a post similar to this a couple a days ago. My doctor who has been treating me for the last 2 1/2 years gave me the cold shoulder too. His nurse told me he wants me to see a psychiatrist. Like he's tired of me and my "anxiety". Like you too, I also faxed him over a letter. Also like you too, I want to switch now but am also afriad I won't find another doctor who will give me my Xanax. Been there done that only to get prescriptions for anti-depressants which have NEVER worked for me. Only Xanax.

I am sorry for you. I couldn't sit through a trial. You don't know what trial it will be until you get there and if its something really horrific, for me that would really cause more anxiety. I get nervous when I hear some things like I don't know....just knowing that people can be so evil and sick. Maybe if all he will give you is a postponement, it will hold you over until you either find another doctor, or see yours and find out why the cold shoulder. It's really scary when the one you have been seeing for so long all of a sudden changes their attitude with you. It caused me to panic.

BTW - I love to read your posts or replies because I can so totally relate to everything you always feel.

Old 09-02-2005, 05:47 AM   #6
Inactive

kasmpow HB User

I totally understand what you are going through the last time I went to Jury Duty I had a panic attack while sitting in the juror box I was bugging out. I raised my hand to speak to the lawer and actually 5 lawyers came out of room with me and I started to cry I told them that I can not do this I suffer from panic/anxiety attacks. They said they understood and it was not the first time they have seen this they told me go back to juror room and within about a hour or two I was released for the day.

Last edited by kasmpow; 09-02-2005 at 05:48 AM.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
(female)

awm38 HB User

Im so sorry youre having to go through this!, Clearly you NEED another Dr. one that will understand what youre going through. Keep looking , and im sure you will find the right one, that can help you

Old 09-02-2005, 08:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

anxietysucks - I read your post the other day too, it's so awful. I try to keep in mind that doctors are only human, but i would think you have to have some sort of empathy to be a doctor! I hate feeling like the only people who can help don't. I don't expect them to know the answer to everyhting, but at least sympathize with and support your patients, you know? And about the jury duty, that's the thing - I caould probably handle a day or two, but you never know what you're going to get. I could never do a month or longer...I doubt I could even do a week. I en joy reading your posts too, misery enjoys company I guess!

kasmpow, that is comforting to know they excused you when they saw that you couldn't handle it. I just can't believe how often people dismiss what you say, as if they don't really believe it, then when they see it happening they realize just how bad it is. That's how my hubby was too until he saw my worst panic attack ever - I think it really scared him, now he is MUCH more sympathetic.

AWM, thank you for your kind words. I am so glad I have "people" to come talk to here when i am at my worst

Old 09-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

mjewell:

I would be hopping mad too. I also have written a letter to my doctor (it was about my terrible experience with withdrawal from Paxil) and ever since then, I've gotten the cold shoulder. I think I'll ask him to refer me to a psychiatrist if I ever get attitude like you got from your doctor. That is outrageous.

Good luck with the jury duty problem. It seems like you should be able to get out of it based on the fact that you have to take anxiety medication, but if you have to have a note in your state, at least you got a temporary reprieve.

Old 09-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

mjewell, I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't think your doctor treated you fairly at all. I guess I would go ahead and take the postponement from him to help you for now, and then find another doctor. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #11
(female)

annam829 HB User

Please calm down about this situation. Jury duty isn't all that serious as people make it. I am not sure where you are from (I am from Phila, PA) and a simple excuse usually gets people off the hook. (example: you care for a sick family member, or you don't think that you can concentrate due to meds you are on)--seriously, try a lame excuse and it will propbably get you off the hook. Good Luck

Old 09-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

annam 829 - thanks for the reassurance. I have actually gone in before and actually told the judge about my condition in the event I got selected. he was really nice and said "ok, well if you are on a jury and you have a problem you can just raise your hand and let me know..." well yeah, like that wouldn't be embarrassing in fromt of a courtroom full of people. Maybe I should talk to the court thought and tell them about the meds and the condition...thats a good idea.

Thanks SRmom and american dancer for your support

Old 09-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hey Mjewell - Try not to get too worked up over this - Believe me, I know that is easier said than done, but anger and frustration can fuel anxiety, so please, for your own personal well being, concentrate on relaxation right now.

Then find a new doc. I am very lucky with the doc. that I have. He listens (wonder of wonders!), prescribes what I need (miracle of miracles!) and he was even understanding when he suggested a therapist and I chose my priest. (He received a BA in psychology at Seminary, so he is qualified beyond his priestly calling). I thought that was way cool - you need to look for somebody like this. Don't take guff from docs. - they are there to help, not hurt you. If they don't have the time for you, take off and interview some doctors before you sign on with their practice. I did that with the pediatricians I use for my kids when we moved. I called three practices and made appts. with the lead doc. just to hear his philosophies, office protocol, etc. Worked like a dream! I love the practice that I picked. Anyway, consider it if (when!) you decide to find a new doc.

And as far as jury duty goes, if you get called, ask to be excused as soon as you arrive, if you can't get out of it. Most lawyers fear the idea of replacing jurors, esp. in important trials, so if you announce loud and clear that you are on meds. for anxiety/panic, you will be out the door in a heartbeat. You can almost count on that. (I too do not think I could handle a trial the last time I was called, but I used the "I have six kids and no one to care for them" excuse - which is true - but don't think I was trying to hard to find a babysitter either )

Hang in there, kiddo, and don't let the ignorant folk get you down. Keep taking good care of yourself and find a new doc. who will help you.

Best wishes, Marirose

Old 09-03-2005, 07:41 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks so much Marirose - you are such an angel

Old 09-04-2005, 07:25 AM   #15
(female)

stefdoe HB User

The last two times my husband called for jury duty he showed up. However, during the process of picking the jury, he is asked questions by the lawyers and he responds with very biased opinionated answers. Needless to say at least one of the lawyers don't want him to be on a jury. Some of his comments were so biased they dismissed everyone that was in the room for fear that his comments might influence potential jurors. Huh.

Closed Thread