It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
(male)

Vitagen HB User
Unhappy I feel terrible around other people

I really don't know why, but I always feel very skittish and terrible in public. I'm not afraid to talk, but I'm afraid to stand up, get personal, or anything of that manner.

If I'm with people that know me, I'm always the one who's not "with it", so people tend to just ignore me. Even as I add comments, people think small of them and rather go on without me.

When or when not in public, I feel reality has given up for me. I'm barely aware of myself most of the time. It's like I'm not in a body, but rather I feel like a ghostly mind.

Things have been scrambled and baffling for me like this for the past 8 years. I remember when I first started getting skittish, uptight, and the terrible feelings around public, and I cannot identify any traumatic issues that could have caused this. I believe the biggest culprit is "staying in my room and using the computer, isolated from society". Now I'm at the point were I can't even drive to the hospital or grocery store if it were in emergency. I also have "physical" stress in my neck muscles that has transformed them into hard as bone. It's hard to sleep with throbbing pain on both sides of my neck as well as the thoughts of my current mental state, so I normally can't get a good night's rest either.

How can I cure this "terrible life" and continue with the normal one I had nearly a decade ago? I feel like I'm going to die if I don't change things, because already, I have problems with my heart palpitations. My heart is so sensitive physically that every time I move from one place to another (ex. sitting to standing, or standing to laying down), I feel a painful rush of blood. I've already had a full blood check recently due to the seriousness of the pain, but the test results came up normal. I've already tried medications such as Buspirone, but I had negative side effects rather than positive outcomes. (those include of lightheadedness and flashes...like when you are tired.)

Do you guys have any idea what I might be going through? Of course some kind of Anxiety, but that doesn't seem to narrow it down enough.

I don't appreciate this life of constant mental anguish, so I really have nothing much to do but work and education. I wouldn't say I'm anywhere near shy. I'm rather an immensely extrovert person, in a scramble between introvert and extrovert, ready to crack under the stress of a mental disorder.

I can't just go out and be social, because I've already tried that a ridiculous amount of times. It always fails me.

Last edited by Vitagen; 09-01-2005 at 07:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tooanxious HB User
Re: I feel terrible around other people

You have text book social anxiety disorder. Do a search on it on the internet. Zoloft and other SSRIs are used to treat it.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
(female)

Sun-moon HB User

I really feel for you and I suggest that you contact a counsellor. You have made the first step and sometimes just having someone to talk to can clarify and normalize your thoughts and feelings.
Good luck.

Old 09-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi Vitagen:

I feel your pain...so sorry to hear you're going through this.

For palpitations, my doctor gave me a beta-blocker (Atenolol) and it worked great, with no ill side effects. It is a med used for high blood pressure, but seems to also help for anxiety related problems.

I think you nailed it when you said you had isolated yourself. I have to turn off my computer and television and get fresh air, work in the yard, go shopping, etc. when I feel the way you describe. It also keeps my shoulders and neck from getting too tensed from sitting in one place too long. Something about constantly staring at a monitor makes my brain feel fried (I don't know how else to describe it). The more you force yourself to go out, the more comfortable you will feel. I think that is the idea behind immersion therapy for agoraphobia, which you sound like you might be suffering from. You might benefit from seeing a psychotherapist. There are other medications you could try, but they bring problems with them sometimes so I'd be cautious. I take Xanax for anxiety on an as-needed basis (maybe only once or twice a week) and it helps me very much.

Good luck and best wishes.

-SRMom

Old 09-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to vtagen
it seems to be all from anxiety, look up depersonalisation and derealisation on the net, seems to be part of your problem and comes from anxiety
as mentioned, a beta blocker med ( such as inderal)will help with the heart palps, etc

the painful rush of blood may be postural hypotension which can be normal, do try to pay less attention to your body, dont monitor it or your reactions to things
buspirone is a not very good tranquilliser, any valium type med, taken as needed will help you a lot and goes well with the beta blocker
you do need to learn new ways of relaxing and calming yourself
are you having panic attacks? details of these on the net

Old 09-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi again:

I agree with hry33 about Buspirone. I took it a few times awhile back and it made me feel weird and dizzy and caused me more anxiety as a result. I take Xanax and it works well and quickly when I need it.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
(male)

Vitagen HB User
Unhappy Re: I feel terrible around other people

The blood rushes are to my forehead, so I can't help but notice them due to the fact that they black out my vision temporarily sometimes. I'm a very tall person and my folks tell me tall people tend to have this issue, so I may be stuck with it. It's very strange when the blood rushes to my head, because I sometimes lose my vision for 2-3 seconds as well as nearly losing my balance. (haven't lost it completely yet, but I do tend to knell onto the ground to regain the balance.) This issue isn't as bad as the anxiety though and doesn't occur but somewhat often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMom
Hi again:

I agree with hry33 about Buspirone. I took it a few times awhile back and it made me feel weird and dizzy and caused me more anxiety as a result. I take Xanax and it works well and quickly when I need it.
Ah...the funny part here was that my doctor claimed Buspirone wouldn't cause me to feel anything, but rather remove the anxiety. I did feel a little skeptical, and now I know it was just goofy, because the side effects were pretty intense. (dizzy shocks)

To continue the description, I notice my skittish symptoms go away when I'm at my house. I feel so embarrassed when I'm stiff or slightly twitch (spasm really) in public areas sometimes, but I really can't help it. The good thing is people don't seem to notice, or just don't say anything that is. I also walk around in most public rooms quick and lightly (as in, I do the most moving). I think the proper medication and allot of hands on realistic group therapy could help a guy like me. I'm talking a whole group of people who are introduced to different social situations of many kinds. Group Therapists for Moderate/Heavy Anxiety, i suppose.

---
skit·tish (skĭt'ĭsh) pronunciation
adj.

1. Moving quickly and lightly; lively.
2. Restlessly active or nervous; restive.
3. Undependably variable; mercurial or fickle.
4. Shy; bashful.

Last edited by Vitagen; 09-02-2005 at 11:09 PM.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Vitagen:

You are not alone. I think a large percentage of people suffer from social anxiety disorders of varying degrees. I don't have SAD (I have anxiety and panic attacks with a driving phobia), but I have friends and family members that suffer from it. I hope you will followup and find good group therapy for yourself. I think that is a wonderful plan. Best wishes to you, and please keep us posted on your progress.

-SRMom

Old 09-07-2005, 03:39 AM   #9
(male)

GettingBy HB User

I've suffered from SAD since sometime in my teens... three words: It Really Sux. I definately feel your pain.

I've been untreated most of my 20 years of living with it. I had the most dramatic success with Paxil for a while, but then I think I got a mental block for it when some dramatic family stuff happened. Maybe I'll try that again someday.

My experiences with other meds are a little sketchy, I think because of some more pronounced life turmoil going on when I tried them. But Wellbutrin seemed to help some. And I liked the more subtle help from Buspar (2x 10mg).

I'm starting Buspar again now after many years of no treatment. I had no side effects from it before and I liked the mildness of the 20 mg per day regimen.

Another thing that can be very helpful is an upbeat therapist who to your mind would relate to who you know you are without the SAD. Look around and be picky about that. I could only see him briefly because of location, but one guy I talked to for a while was soooo great... upbeat, energetic, passionate, very positive... a mind that goes and goes... just like me if I'm not bogged down. He was into cognitive therapy.

Keep the faith... one really good thing about SAD is coming out of it... definately worth all your effort and patience.

Old 09-07-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
(male)

Vitagen HB User

The part I hate most about my S.A.D is that I can't read or eat in public. I feel a great pain in the back of my neck and end up staring unfocused at the letters...even though I'm thinking about anything. It's more of an automated problem, rather than a fear.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:34 PM   #11
(male)

Vitagen HB User

I still haven't got any help yet. My folks are waiting for the doctor to send a list of psychiatrists, because we can only afford to use insurance for the bills.
Last time, I went to a "shy psychologist"! She was extremely shy and twitched, so I felt worse for her than myself. Apparently, I need a "psychiatrist" due to the severity of my issue. If you can't live a normal social life, then why even live at all. Humans are "meant" to be social by nature. Anyone without a healthy social life normally feels pretty bad and as if their life is missing things in a depressing manner. I'm not even social with my family. I can't name one person I have actually hugged in the past eight years or so. I don't enjoy life too much right now. I do things at jobs, but people think of me as stale and boring...one who is with the ice cold machines. If only I could have a bundle of friends. People who I enjoy to call friends and cause me to raise my voice in excitement or annoyance at times. To become socially contrasted...I fear I'll need some kind of aid to help me there for the rest of my life. I've known atleast hundreds of people, yet not even one single friend out of them. In the end, I have turned to dislike every one of them with immense force. I don't hate them, but I do ignore them. I wish I could just live a normal life, and have the good and bad things most people my age have. Right now, I only seem to use computers, because they have no personality. The problem is, they are also my poisen that makes me worse.

I equally feel bad either with people or by myself, so I don't know anymore...

If theres no one to talk to, I normally act very serious. I sort of have that problem.

Last edited by Vitagen; 09-15-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:54 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Remember Vitagen, you get out of relationships what you give to them, and having expectations will usually disappoint. Here's a big virtual hug for you, since you said you hadn't had any in years. Keep faith that there is life after anxiety and depression...don't give up.

OOO's,
-SRMom

Old 09-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
(male)

Vitagen HB User

I hate being cooped up alone, but I'm too scared to get out. I need help, but the doctors have taken over a month to respond, yet still haven't. I hate the way things are going right now... I hate how I can't be normal... and I just don't like much of anything anymore.

Last edited by Vitagen; 09-22-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #14
(female)

YaYa04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitagen
The blood rushes are to my forehead, so I can't help but notice them due to the fact that they black out my vision temporarily sometimes. I'm a very tall person and my folks tell me tall people tend to have this issue, so I may be stuck with it. It's very strange when the blood rushes to my head, because I sometimes lose my vision for 2-3 seconds as well as nearly losing my balance. (haven't lost it completely yet, but I do tend to knell onto the ground to regain the balance.) This issue isn't as bad as the anxiety though and doesn't occur but somewhat often.
I'm also a tall person and I use to get this same type of feeling with dizziness. I found out it had to do with getting up from a sitting position (or lying down) to fast. I use to pass out a lot when I was a teenager because of this.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:56 PM   #15
(female)

YaYa04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitagen
The part I hate most about my S.A.D is that I can't read or eat in public. I feel a great pain in the back of my neck and end up staring unfocused at the letters...even though I'm thinking about anything. It's more of an automated problem, rather than a fear.
How long have you had Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Closed Thread