It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2005, 05:55 AM   #1
(female)

lilchickpea HB User
antidepressants for anxiety?

I'm thinking about getting on an antidepressant to help with my anxiety. I don't want to take a benzo (xanax, ativan, klonipan,valium). I know they have worked for me in the past but, they cause me to many problems in the long run. What antidepressants has anyone taken that helps with their anxiety? I'm doing alot of this to help me get through my anxiety but, I don't want to just get through- I want to live a full life. I know some anxiety can't be avoided in life but, to struggle most of my waking hours is no fun. I'm really glad to have found this support site. Have a good weekend. And thanks again. :

Old 09-02-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
(female)

awm38 HB User
Re: antidepressants for anxiety?

I take Lexapro for my anxiety, and it works good. I also take Xanax, but only at night to help me sleep. There are only a couple of A/D that are approved for anxiety, Lexapro, and i cant remember the other one....maybe someone else knows

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Paxil cr is supposed to help with anxiety and depression. I have been on it for 2 weeks and I have noticed slight improvement.

Hope you find one that works.

deb

Old 09-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #4

ShawnaS HB User

I was given Zoloft for anxiety, I took it for about 8 months. Since being off it, I do see a change. I remember when I took it the little things didn't seem to bother me as bad as they do now. My boyfriend said that it made me have a careless attitude, which he couldn't stand. I don't remember acting like I didn't care, but I have heard other people say the same thing about anti-depressants. I think it's worth a try for you, I understand the apprehension of taking benzos, I don't take them either although I probably should sometimes. Good luck, you shouldn't have to suffer every waking hour- life is too short.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

hi
I have taken paxil,zoloft,and now on Lexapro..........paxil worked good,but the withdrawl comming off was awful.The zoloft was good for me too and no real withdrawl comming off.This Lexapro I have been taking for like 2 weeks now and am starting to notice some improvement I believe it will really work good for me.

good luck

Old 09-02-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi lilchickpea,

I take Lexapro and it works well for me. I have been on it (15 mg.) for about 2 mo. For the first 4 - 6 wks, you need something to go with it for the tough days. Hope you find the right meds. for you.

Take care. Wannabe

Old 09-03-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

lilchickpea HB User

I really appreciate everyones support-it helps me get through the day and gives me hope. My anxiety symptoms are so bizarre. There feel scary, i feel so detached, like I'm going to be sucked up into the sky. I don't know how You can have a good day one day and the next morning you wake up like this for no apparent reason. I guess it is part of the withdrawals reactions to getting off benzo's. Today is day 83!! My Dr. (who is an addictionoligst) and I agreed to wait until I am 100 days out from the benzo's to decide if an antidepressant would be helpful. Hope I can wait that long. This is so insane. I want to live my life. I feel so trapped by my anxiety-it controls me instead of me controling it. Have a good weekend.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
(female)

Alyna25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmomofive
hi
I have taken paxil,zoloft,and now on Lexapro..........paxil worked good,but the withdrawl comming off was awful.The zoloft was good for me too and no real withdrawl comming off.This Lexapro I have been taking for like 2 weeks now and am starting to notice some improvement I believe it will really work good for me.

good luck

Why did you try different ones if the zoloft worked? Just to compaire the differences? I am on 200mg zoloft but I'm thinking of changing to paxil or lexapro to see if maybe it's more effective or if maybe it will help me loose some of this weight.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Alyna25,

I know many people have gained wait on Paxil but I started taking Paxil Cr a couple of weeks ago and I have lost 8 lbs. I am still eating three meals a day and I try to walk at least every other day. When I took regular paxil several years ago I gained weight but the controlled release type is doing the oppositve for me.

Just thought I would share this.

deb

Closed Thread