It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2005, 07:30 AM   #1
(female)

mayansun HB User
Anxiety, chest pain, lightheadedness

I more need to vent then to ask advice. I've had chronic lightheadedness for over a year and have pursued all sorts of causes including migraines, ear problems, TMJ and am still meeting with different doctors to see if I can figure it out.

In addition I've had recurrent chest/back/neck pain which, when it comes with the lightheadedness makes me extremely anxious about a heart attack.

I'm 28 have slightly high cholesterol but have lost 10lbs recently with 10-15 to go and I eat well. I have been on anxiety meds in the past (following a health situation last year) but found them to be more trouble then help.

It comes down to my fear that my doctors are missing something (and I have great doctors) and that I know my body better than anyone and I have this underlying belief that something is wrong with my heart and I fear my anxiety perpetuates the problem.

I don't know how to shake the fear, I've had some tests and my doctor seems confident I am at extremely low risk for heart problems--but it isn't enough when I get the symptoms that are associated with heart attacks in women.

I'm just frustrated and upset!

Old 09-02-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Anxiety, chest pain, lightheadedness

I hear you mayansun. I've had lower left abdominal pain for over eight months now and they haven't found the source. I'm uninsured at the moment (waiting for my husband's new insurance to start with his new job), so my search for a diagnosis has been stalled. Anyway, in the mean time, my doctor seems tired of me and has actually said the pain could be psychosomatic! I don't care what it is, I just want it gone and I think/believe they are missing something. I'm at the point now where I don't even get anxious about it anymore because I know I'll keel over and then they'll have to take care of me!

I wanted to say good job on losing weight! That is quite an accomplishment. It sounds like you are suffering from increased anxiety. The chest/back/neck/migraine/TMJ/lightheadedness, etc. that you have described are all symptoms of stress and anxiety. You are awfully young to have heart trouble, so I would put that worry out of your head. Hormonal ups and downs could be adding fuel to your worry too. It sounds like your doctors have checked you out pretty well, maybe you should go back and talk to your doctor about options to help with your anxiety...in my opinion, you'll feel better if you do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to mayan
lightheadedness has many psooible causes, including anxiety, look up lightheadedness at google
the pain is probably from anxiety causing you to tense the muscles

anxiety often causes heart palps and heart attack like symptoms, theres nothing shameful about having anxiety or admitting to it

Old 09-06-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
(female)

mayansun HB User

I know that I have anxiety and have been on SSRI's (not currently) and been in therapy and am currently looking into CBT and / or biofeedback. That said, I also do feel all these symptoms and don't know which came first. I have convinced myself I have heart problems and will have or have had a heart attack. It isn't a rational fear but it is a real fear and I'm trying to sort it all out.

It is worsened by reading about women under 40 who have had heart attacks (not a lot but enough) and who were misdiagnosed with anxiety, gastro-intestinal issues etc so I want to be sure.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I could have written this word for word.

A heart issue (a benign tachycardia) went undiagnosed for over 8 years, so now I do not trust anything the Drs say. Every negative test result I question. I too feel lightheaded alot. But i also have low BP and take meds that can cause that. I have had every test. Blood work, MRI, Echo, Holter...I am always in fear of heart problems, strokes, blood clots...those are the big ones..the ones that can cause sudden death.

Are you in therapy? CBT therapy is very helpful. Unfortunatly I am doing it on my own since therapists who are experienced in this are not covered by my insurance. But I also see a therapist for talk therapy and I take meds. I can give you some techniques that have been helpful if you are interested.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi mayansun:

Just checking in with you and I wanted to say that I wasn't trying to dismiss your worries about heart problems by saying I think your symptoms are from anxiety. I am a huge worrier and my father died from a heart attack at 51 (I'm almost 46), so I've been where you are now. When I had my first anxiety attack around age 30, I went to the ER telling them I was having a heart attack. When I started having crazy palpitations a few years ago from perimenopause, I thought I was on the verge of dying. I even went in to my doctor without an appointment one day and talked them into hooking me up to their EKG. There has never been any evidence that I have heart disease of any kind. I try to live my life in a heart-healthy manner and get regular checkups. I lost about 40 pounds a few years ago, quit smoking and increased my exercise. I decided that I would do all I could do on my part, and try to trust the doctors. It's really out of my hands otherwise, and so I got a good life insurance policy for my family in case something happens to me.

I hope you are able to get the medical tests done that can put your mind at ease. It would be a shame if you had to spend your young life worrying about this for too much longer.

Best wishes to you...my thoughts are with you.

-SRMom

Closed Thread