It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #1

azureblue HB User
Derealization and anxiety..please help me!

Hi everyone. I just had a baby 3 months ago.. ever since that, I have been more and more afraid to leave my house on my own - especially DRIVE alone. As soon as I get into the car by myself, I start freaking out, and I feel like everything is not real.. I just went out with the baby earlier, and I had to turn back around because I was going through derealization and anxiety. If I am with someone, I am fine.. It's just when I'm alone is when I can't handle it. I don't know what to do. I go back to work next week, and I commute about an hour to and from work. Any suggestions on what I can do or any herbal supplements I can take to ease the anxiety? Right now I'm taking a 50mg B Complex and Flax Seed Oil gelcaps.

Please help.
Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Derealization and anxiety..please help me!

welcome azure,
did you have these or other anxiety problems before the baby?
the freaking out is probably panic attacks, look up details on the net
derealisation is common with anxiety and nothing to worry about, it doesnt lead to anything worse

I dont think you will handle work so delay it for a while

herbal stuff, IMO is of little help, you need any valium type med, taken as needed, some docs refuse to prescribe these and would insist on an antidepressant, these sometimes help a lot but can have severe early side effects
you also need to learn new ways of calming and relaxing yourself, sometimes getting a dog makes it OK to be alone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #3

azureblue HB User

I can't put going back to work anymore, we need the money.. and yes, I did have anxiety before the baby, but nothing like now.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

unfortunately I agree with Hry on the herbal thing.I had tried it before myself and it didnt seem to help much. not to say it wont for you I hope it does
I dont know of any herbs to try maybe kava kava? I think that is the one with a calming effect?

For me when the anxiety is sky rocketing the only thing to help much is medication anti depressant and or a benzo.I think you should get into therapy either way ya go on the med thing.

Also self help books can be of some help,but as far a quick fix to get back to work honestly the only thing I know of is a benzo to take as needed
try your doctor

Oh also try and exercise daily ,drink lots of water and reduce stress any way possible.

I hope you make it back to work without a load of anxiety....good luck

Old 09-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
(female)

Tiggerredz HB User

I got a dog and it helps me. I take him most places with me and for some reason he eases my mind, he also helps with being alone at home

Old 09-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to azure
any valium type med will help you the best but these can be difficult to get, do you have a doc who knows you? stress to doc that you do need the money and are ullikely to cope without a benzo, accept a prescription of an antidepressant as well to keep doc happy if he insists, but these as mentioned can have severe early side effects and take 2 to 6 weeks to help

Old 09-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #7

azureblue HB User

there are no options that dont include meds?

Old 09-02-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I'll only ocassionally have a brief moment of derealization/depersonalization with my panic attacks (don't have panic disorder), but now that I just started college, and I'm having intense, daily panic attacks, I'll have brief 30 second moments of derealization/depersonalization about five-six times a day. It's very weird and surreal and, not to mention annoying...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 09-03-2005, 06:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

azureblue
Honestly I myself do not know of any other QUICK option other then a benzo
as hry said anti depressant can help some ALOT but they take several weeks to even kick in good.Unless you can positivly talk yourself out of the anxiety then benzo's are the only other way I know.I didnt like the idea of meds either until it got so bad I said ohwell I need something to feel good again.
I waited and tried everything for 6 years before I went to meds.

I cant tell ya what to do can only give my advice it is up to you ,but I hope you find something that works and feel better soon

Old 09-04-2005, 04:42 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

I also suffer from this.

Is the DR/DP dangerous? Can it lead to something more serious?

Thanks
-Angela

Old 09-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #11
(female)

Alyna25 HB User

I too just had a baby three months ago. I was on zoloft for anxiety but after she was born we had to up it to the maximum dose. That helped alot and then I had to take xanax for a few weeks to help calm me down. Don't be afraid to try a prescription. It may change your life like you wouldn't believe. It took me three months to learn to enjoy my baby and like everyone says they grow up so fast, don't waste time thinking about the pro's and con's of taking a med, just try it and then if it works you'll have such a clearer head you'll wonder why you waited so long?

Old 09-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #12

whitebear HB User

I had the same problem after having my daughter. I recently discovered progesterone cream and it helps somewhat. Group therapy has been helpful. If you decide to take a benzo try clonapin. It has a longer half life and is less addictive than xanax or ativan (xanax being the worst with the shortest half life).

I disagree about the herbal stuff. I have tried some that have actually helped but they were "prescription grade" herbals. Homeopathy stuff works somewhat. Its best to get stuff that is produced to german standards. Try seeing a naturopath if you can afford it. Also, diet has a big impact as well. Look into the blood type diet. Wheat / gluten allergies can also trigger panic / anxiety.

And, last but not least, have your thyroid checked. Conventional tests do not always pick up thyroid problems. You need to go by symptoms. Low body temperature being the tell tale sign. Some people have recovered from anxiety by taking thyroid supplements even though they have normal test results.

Kris

Old 09-05-2005, 09:29 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

MissAngela HB User

No one knows if it is dangerous or not?

-Angela

Old 09-05-2005, 10:19 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAngela
I also suffer from this.

Is the DR/DP dangerous? Can it lead to something more serious?

Thanks
-Angela
No Angela, it's not dangerous.
When I was having panic and anxiety problems I suffered from derealization and I asked my Doctor if it was dangerous and he assured me that it wasn't and in fact it was very common for people with panic or anxiety issues to have the derealization.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Felicia65 HB User

Thats right it is not dangerous, My whole family on both sides suffer from this, and all of them are still kicking. It feels that way,but no its not going to hurt you. But you really do need to talk to your doctor, they can help you, Please remember you are not alone there are so many people in this world that surffer from this. And you will get better but you need to talk with your doctor and let them know. and the med can be addictive so becareful with them. felicia

Closed Thread