It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 05:53 AM   #1
(female)

rainy_daze HB User
Ending this vicious cycle.

This has been a bad summer for me. I started developing horrible anxiety attacks. I experience terrible chest pains, shortness of breath, difficulty swallowing and my heart beats so fast it feels like it's going jump right through my rib cage and out the door.

What angers me the most is that I didn't experience anything like this until AFTER I started using antidepressants/antianxiety medication. I wish I had done more research or that my Pyschatrist and explained the full consequences of these medications. I would rather have OCD and mood swings than feel like I am going to be sick and die.

I am on a very small dose of Lexapro and I fear that I am going to be on this stuff for the rest of my life. I can't stop the using the medication because it will cause worse anxiety, but if I continue to use the medication it's just going to contribute to the problem.

I am planning to slowly wean myself off. I am waiting until the weather cools down because I've noticed that this humidity and heat tend to cause problems for me. I tried weaning myself earlier but I had some pretty nasty attacks and just thought better to wait.

So has anyone beaten this vicious cycle? Has anyone successfully stopped using these medications and stopped having anxiety?

Old 09-05-2005, 06:06 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Felicia65 HB User
Re: Ending this vicious cycle.

rainydaze . Yes there are people that have I am one of them . I was sick for many years and gave up on ever being able to stop useing a pill for anxity But I don't have to use them any more I still have anixty some times But everyone does. So I just won't you to know that It is not a life long thing for a lot of people. Even though it may seem that way

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to rainy
valium type meds are an alternative for anxiety but some psychs have been braaiwashed into prescribinbg an antidepressant only
I think you should stop the lexapro under medical supervision to see whether you are better off without it

look up hyperventilation syndrome on the net, this can be confused with anxiety and panic attacks, especially if chest pains are involved

thy to breathe deep and slow, in a relaxed way, when stressed or anxious
I think all anxiety sufferers are worse in heat and humidity

Old 09-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
(female)

rainy_daze HB User

Thanks for the tip, Hry33. I will make sure to look up hyperventilation syndrome online.
The shortness of breath and the chest pain are what really bother me the most.

My anxiety is less of an issue since I've been on the Lexapro. However, since I started reducing it from 5mg to 2.5mg I've been feeling anxious all weekend. So I might continue to use 5mg until there is a better oppurtunity to reduce it.

When I first started experiencing these problems I was given Ativan. But I am apprehensive to use it unless it's REALLY bad because of it's addictive qualities. Basically, I would like to end using medication altogether.

This weekend has just been really hard on me. I am scared that I am going to feel this way for the rest of my life and I can't stand it. I am not sure what I will do if I have to keep feeling this way day in and day out.

I have been using reading material along with breathing exercises and relaxation techniques. I am also in Cognitive therapy and hopefully it's just a matter of time before I can get my old life back.

Last edited by rainy_daze; 09-05-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Closed Thread