It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 06:59 AM   #1

bladebeam HB User
Dont know what to do

So this morning was eventful. I took the works van out and had an accident which was totally my fault. I am a terrible driver and have always been scared of driving and now after today I think I have confirmed it.
The people at work were understandably annoyed and my I was with myself aswell but I was so anxious more than anything. Now the job involves alot of driving so I think I am going to have to quit, I just cant do it anymore, people keep saying be a man carry on, but I dont think I am any less of a man for being scared of driving, its one of those things I just dont think I can do.
Can I just quit a job and leave forever or do I have to give notice ? I just cant do this anymore and I cant wait for this day to be over.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Dont know what to do

{REMOVED}
why not ask for a transfer to a job with no driving for a while

if you have a phobia about driving, meds may help but obviously side effects such as sedation come into it

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-05-2005 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #3

MKLowTone HB User

One thing I will say is that, at the end of the day, if you are nervous or scared of driving then please don't drive

It's very dangerous both to yourself and to other road users if you do

But if it's just the thought of driving (and you are OK when you get in and do it) then you will only have to work on that aspect of it (meds, therapy, calming techniques...)

Old 09-06-2005, 01:56 AM   #4

bladebeam HB User

I am usually ok when I know the road, but if I go somewhere I have never been before I get nervous.
Its a bit of a circle really because obviously to learn the roads I would have to go there and I am too nervous.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hi bladebeam:

It sounds like you have the same problem I do, a phobia of driving. I wish I had the answer to your problem too. I haven't been able to drive on a freeway in over ten years. I've been able to drive around town okay, but if I have to increase my speed over 55 mph, I can't do it...I start having a panic attack. About a year ago, when I was embroiled in the drama of my sister's divorce, I started having panic attacks driving around town. I was so distraught, I went to the doctor. I tried Paxil, but it caused major problems for me. Since then, I have just been taking Xanax when I need to and it seems to be helping. I don't take a high enough dose that it would be unsafe to drive, .25 to .5 mg depending on how severe the anxiety is. I also try to drive to new places when I'm not under pressure to do so, like when there is no appointment or someone else in the car, so I can get used to the road before I have to go there.

Regarding your question about leaving your job...for your sake, please don't walk out. If you cannot perform your job duties because of your anxiety, you can either try to work it out with your employer by being reassigned to something else, or you can give two weeks notice with the stipulation that you cannot drive for the remainder of your employment with them. This way, you don't run the risk of your employer giving you a bad recommendation when you look for future work. I walked out on a job once and have never forgiven myself for the way I handled it. At least your integrity would remain intact.

By the way, my doctor told me to see a psychotherapist, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Good luck...hang in there.

-SRMom

Old 09-07-2005, 03:47 AM   #6

bladebeam HB User

Thanks very much for the responses, I think I will take that advice and maybe look for work while I give my notice.
Although I am still in a trial period and have not received a contract, does this change anything ? Thanks again.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I would think if you don't have a contract, it would be easier for you to leave, but I would still give them notice. They have invested some time and money in you, no doubt, and it would be the right thing to give them warning so they can replace you. Good luck to you bladebeam!

Last edited by SRMom; 09-07-2005 at 08:51 AM.

Closed Thread