It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

awm38 HB User
To anyone having palpitations

I started having terrible palps last summer. They ran all the normal tests for heart problems, and everything was normal. The best thing my Dr. did for me was to put me on a beta blocker....I take 25 mg. of Tenormin every day, and i cant tell you the difference it has made. I also take Xanax and Lexapro, but without the beta blocker i would still be having the palps. Just thought this might help palpitation sufferers

Old 09-06-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Re: To anyone having palpitations

I agree..the beta blocker is great for my PVCs AND aniety since it blocks adrenaline which was a huge problem for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
(female)

jitteryme HB User

I have been suffering from PVC's too. They usually start up in the afternoon and bug me until I go to sleep at night. Can beta blockers be used on an "as needed" basis or do they have to be taken every day? I was hoping the PVC's would stop on their own, but this hasn't been the case.

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
(female)

awm38 HB User

Im pretty sure they have to be taken daily, but the one i take is inexpensive and well worth it!

Old 09-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

hi when you say "palpitations" was it just racing of your heart ? because I get mostly flutters,skips,and quivers and irregular beating ............just wondering if you had that too? It is sooooo nerve racking and only notice them when im trying to go to sleep ..........I take lexapro in the am and ativan at night (because of the palps) this has been going on for a bit over a month now and im waiting for holter monitor results but my doctor never even mentioned beta blockers

Old 09-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #6
(female)

c.steven HB User

I get all the same symptoms as you and am very frightened. It first happened years ago, a ECG showed up nothing, now it's happening again. I don't know what to do, I am scared stiff to go back to the Dr's. Any suggestions.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
(female)

awm38 HB User

When i say Palpitations....im talking skipping beats, fluttering, like it will be a beat and then a skip and 2 beats, if that makes any sense. Almsot like its skipping a beat, and trying to catch up after the skip mention the beta blocker to your Dr....just a very low dose is usually all that you need. I tried Toperal first, but that didnt work too well, then he put me on 25mg. of Tenormin (Atenolol). it works Great!

Old 09-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

thanks awn that sounds like what I am dealing with....I may ask about a beta blocker because eventhough the ativan does help me get to sleep I still feel the palps

take care

Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #9

robcaryh HB User

I am glad you posted. I have symptoms like that-my heart races constantly,i feel like i am on a roller coaster hill most of the time with that dropping feeling. I cant stand any amount of heat,i sweat a lot in 70 degree temps,i can't sleep at night and have to take a drug called seroquel to fall asleep. It is like my body just never shuts down. I am going to ask for a beta blocker tomorrow when i see my doc. Did you need anything other than blood tests to get it? Was the doc receptive to asking for it?

Old 09-06-2005, 04:56 PM   #10
(female)

awm38 HB User

I never had to ask for it, he recommended it, and i agreed to try it. If youre having a fast heart rate and palpitations, i cant see why he wouldnt try you on it to see if it helps....good luck!

Old 09-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I take Inderal LA 80 mg with 20 mil of Lexapro. I had a rapid heart beat all the time Not palps non stop rapid HB with no test proving anything. Within an hour of taking the beta blocker I went from HB of 122 to 63 and felt like a whole new person. I still have break through palps but I think mine are due to peri menopause

Old 09-06-2005, 06:07 PM   #12

robcaryh HB User

Did they make you get a bunch of tests before giving it?

Old 09-07-2005, 03:41 AM   #13
(female)

awm38 HB User

They may do tests to make sure you dont a heart problem, but you dont have to have anything wrong with your heart to take a beta blocker. Just talk to your Dr. about it and see if he will try you on a low dose. Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2005, 05:01 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

I had a lot of test. I had Chest X-rays, EKG, Echo Cardiogram, Blood work checking for thyroid and adrenial problems etc. They also prescribe it for anxiety alone. I will be on it for the rest of my life.

Closed Thread