It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

camtorres15 HB User
Finally got a beta blocker...now scared to try it!

I had a huge anxiety attack on Sunday night. Never had one like that before. I woke up from sleep just freaked out...felt like I didn't know where I was and my heart was pounding. Well then I got so worried about my heart that it raced even more. It took me a while to calm down and then I was scared to go back tosleep. I watched Nick at Nite all night long! :-) Yesterday I was still all jumpy. I was checking my pulse CONSTANTLY. I know that is so bad. I feel a lot better today, I stayed home from work. My doc called in a prescription for Atenolol but now my fear is taking it. I'm so scared of bad side effects. But at the same time, I'm sick of worrying about my anxiety. Seriously, yesterday I felt like I was just not myself all day. I hate this feeling...it's almost debilitating. I will feel fine for days and then boom, I get an attack and it ruins it. I just want to feel normal again. In your experience, did the beta blockers help? Is it worth a few side effects if it will improve my daily life?

Old 09-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
(female)

awm38 HB User
Re: Finally got a beta blocker...now scared to try it!

PLEASE try it!......I was scared also when i was first put on it....i'm on 25 mg. a day of Atenolol, my palps having totally stopped, and i had ZERO side effects! You will be amazed how well it will work, but you have to take it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Don't be scared...I didn't have side effects either and Atenolol really helped me.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

it will help and has no serious side effects, some valium with it would help more

with pill phobias it can help to take the first tablet in a doctors or hospital waiting room

Old 09-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
(male)

Rkoa63 HB User

I'm on a beta blocker as well and the only side effect i've had from it was that it makes me a little sleepy. Other then that, no problems. It really slowed my heart rate down alot and helped with the irregular beats. Before I was on it my resting heart rate was about 80-90bpm and now its around 60bpm. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
(female)

camtorres15 HB User
Cool Re: Finally got a beta blocker...now scared to try it!

OK I gathered all of my courage and tried the pill! OK, so I cut it in half and took one half. I know, I'm such a baby. But I took it about 4 hours ago and I feel pretty good! I do feel a bit sleepy, but that's it. I was really afraid of feeling dizzy or lightheaded, but I don't. My pulse is nice and slow and I feel soooooooooo relaxed. I think this makes me feel better than the Xanax!! Do you think it's OK to take half a pill in the AM and then the other half at night, instead of just taking the whole thing at once? It's only 25 mg, so it's 12.5 in each half, not much at all. For those of you who are successfully taking the beta blockers--do you still get anxiety attacks or are they hardly noticeable anymore? I pray that this is my solution. I am very optimistic at this point, even though it's been not even a day. This is how scared I was to try the pill--while waiting at the pharmacy, I did one of those blood pressure test things and my pulse was like 102 from my anxiety!! THANK YOU SO MUCH everyone who replied. You made me feel a lot better. :-)

Old 09-07-2005, 03:43 AM   #7
(female)

awm38 HB User

I have taken it like that....half in the am and half in the pm. If that works for you then it will be fine. Just be sure and take it every day!

Old 09-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

When I was on Atenolol, I never had a full-blown panic attack. I remember a few times feeling nervous like I might have a panic attack, but it never happened. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #9
(female)

chaser3968 HB User

i take toprol which is a beta blocker too. it lowered my heart rate from 125 to 76 in a months time. it was well worth taking. that racing heart and sweaty feeling are gone now that i take this med. please give it a chance. good luck.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #10
(male)

Rkoa63 HB User

It hasnt stopped my anxiety completely but it has made it more manageable. When i do have an attack i still get all the symptoms minus the racing heartbeat and the shortness of breath. But now that my heart doesnt beat out of my chest when I have an attack the anxiety doesnt seem as bad. The only downside to taking the beta blocker(metoprolol for me) is that after my evening 2 mile run i can only get my heart rate up to like 90-100bpm. Hopefully the drug helps the anxiety for you, I know it did a little bit for me(any little bit helps in my book).

Old 09-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMom
When I was on Atenolol, I never had a full-blown panic attack. I remember a few times feeling nervous like I might have a panic attack, but it never happened. Good luck!
Same here basically. For a whole year, my propranolol for the most part stopped all panic attacks. My attacks were always initated by bodily symptoms..mostly high heart rate. Since that heart rate was controlled and the extra adrenaline was blocked (which a beta blocker does...adrenaline is basically an enemy to panic sufferers!) the attacks stopped. Now...lately I have had to start a new drug as well, Klonopin, as I developed a different anxiety. And I did have a couple panic attacks. But I am working on it. If I didnt have the beta blocker, it would be 100 times worse. This drug changed my life. I wish I had had it so much sooner. It does make me tired...but it is well worth it.

Closed Thread